INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 problems with burning MP3 discs  (Read 1288 times)

twriter

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
2 problems with burning MP3 discs
« on: May 01, 2004, 06:52:42 pm »

I am having 2 problems birning MP3 dicsc, problems that I am able to repeat.

1. The tag information is not getting written to all the MP3 files.

2. I have the option selected to prepend the list order to the CD filename, but if I do not click "Show list" in the Burn CD or DVD pane, the number "1" is prepended to all files burned. (instead of incremental numbers).

The first problem showed up when I was listening to a newly burned MP3 CD in my car and NO TITLE showed up instead of the song title. I've been buring a variety of MP3 CDs and in all, about 50% of the files do not have tag information. I can see this in both Windows Explorer (when looking at the summary information about the mp3 file) and in Media Center (when looking at the files on the burned CD.

Here's an additional piece of strange information. In looking (just now) at the original burned mp3 files, for some, there are two files for each song, a "standard" mp3 files and a zero=byte file with the filename [filename].mp3.XXXXXX. From what I can see so far, there looks like there is a correllation between the files that are like this and the burned files with no tag information. In Media Center, these files indicate that they have tag information, but in Windows Explorer, the mp3 files themselves have no tag info and the .XXXXXX files have nothing either.

I've been re-ripping my CD collection, and it looks like many, but not all, of the CDs have one or more of these file pairs, one as the standard mp3 file and one as the .XXXXXX file.  

I had been ripping with the then-latest version (116) and I upgreaded today to 127 (as a side note, I had to do this manually because the check update command said there were no updates available.)

What is causing my files to be ripped in this manner?

And why don't the file names get written correctly if I dont' show the burn list?

As far as my system, about 8 months old, HP Pavilion a250n, WinXP, 515MB RAM, huge, huge hard disk, CD/DVD writer to both rip and write.

I'm going to try and delete some of the CDs that have the .XXXXXX files in them and re-rip and see if the problem continues.

twriter

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:2 problems with burning MP3 discs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 09:18:25 pm »

Since upgrading to the latest version, I've had just one bad rip (of about a dozen CDs), but the one didn't generrate an .XXXXXX file. It generated a duplicate smaller file with a similar filename. Has no one else who uses MC experienced this, or does no one on the MC development team know of this?

The issue about needing to view the burn list to get the prepended numbers to work correctly still seems to be an issue.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 10:29:48 am »

Please try the next build (something greater than 10.0.129) to see if these two problems are fixed.

If you still get an occasional error about tag information not getting updated when you are ripping CD's, we'll have to look into the problem further. Give as much information as possible about the problem.

Thanks!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

twriter

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 01:37:00 pm »

I'll give .129 a try (or should I wait for .130: "greater than" .129?).

BTW, my current version is .127, and when I use the Check for upgrades command, it says there is none, so I have to (as far as i know) do a complete download of the latest version and do an install. (Not hard with DSL, just a slight annoyance.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up