INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Wave Files  (Read 795 times)

Imatation

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Importing Wave Files
« on: May 02, 2004, 03:34:14 pm »

I was trying to import 150 gigs of wave files off a slave drive ripped and organized with MC 9 into MC 10 after a clean windows install. But the only info imported was the song titles not the artist or album name.
Does the wave format support tags? The files are in folders sorted Artist/album/Song title. The Library tool "rename files from properties" partially fixed some files but then I tried "fill properties from file name" This pretty much scrambled everything. So after a not so brief mourning period :'( I've come to terms with the fact that I need to rip everything over again. I just want to know what I could have done, and what I can do to keep this from happening again.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:Importing Wave Files
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:24:26 pm »

In my opinion:

You should have done a library back up. Often.

You should have done only "fill properties from filenames", if the files were in folders sorted Artist/album/Song title. There are options for directories and filenames.

You should have done that with one test file first.

Do you have anything left from your previous "Artist/album/Song title" sorting?
There may be a way to fix the situation.

Tags are currently not supported with wave files. You could consider APE format. It is smaller, lossless and it supports tags. APE files can be converted to wave if needed.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Imatation

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:Importing Wave Files
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 06:51:02 pm »

<You should have done a library back up. Often.

Yep, I should've backed up the library. I just didn't expect a WD raptor HD to die after five months. They have a 5 year warranty on them.

<You should have done only "fill properties from <filenames", if the files were in folders sorted <Artist/album/Song title. There are options for <directories and filenames.

The "fill properties from file name" partially fixed about half of the files. The parameters were set Artist/Album /Title. But when I tried the other library tool ( I thought it was "rename files from properties" ) it started moving the files over to my system drive which at 36 gigs filled up fast and aborted.

<You should have done that with one test file first.

Yep I shoulda done a test file. I prone to stupidity when I'm aggravated.

<Do you have anything left from your <previous "Artist/album/Song title" sorting?
<There may be a way to fix the situation.

I scrambled about 25 gigs the rest is still intact. What I mean by scrambled is it took the song titles out of the folders and named them unknown artist - unknown album - 01- (song Title).

<Tags are currently not supported with wave files. You <could consider APE format. It is smaller, lossless and <it supports tags. APE files can be converted to wave if <needed.

I didn't realize wave didn't support tags. My music was in ape format on my old computer but when that one died I decided to use wave because it rips twice as fast as ape. At a buck a gig space is not a big deal. However I think I will go back to ape. The quality is the same just a little more cpu usage.

Pages: [1]   Go Up