INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod - Multiple Artists  (Read 2951 times)

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Lunchlady Doris, have ye got ony grease?
iPod - Multiple Artists
« on: May 02, 2004, 04:10:51 pm »

So exactly how does this function work?

Never having used iTunes for more than testing purposes, I'm not entirely sure what the benefits are of this, but I can tell you most of my music is dance/soundtrack related therefore I have a lot of various artists that either clog my artist field & make it unusable for day to day operation, or I have my track title field knackered.

I'm guessing iPod 'sees' different entries in the artist field but if they have the same album title then iPod bumps the 'artist' entry after the track title?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:iPod - Multiple Artists
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 04:36:38 pm »

Penfold,

Can you clarify what you are asking? I am not sure what you are after. Sorry.

Steve

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 10:28:25 pm »

My way around the multiple artist entries at the moment is to use "move/copy fields" in mc to send the artist info from the "artist field" to the "composer" field. Then I put the album name in the "artist field". That way, when navigating on the ipod, I can start at genre, go to movie sountracks for example, and then see them grouped properly.

If you want to be able to see the real artist info on the ipod I guess you need to make a "[artist] - [name]" field in mc, and then move/copy that info to the "name" field so its visible on the ipod.

This is a very long way around the problem though. My faith is in Steve to get the multiple artists feature back in somehow.
By the way steve, how does itunes get around this problem?
And (slightly ot) why is it that itunes cant see mc last played and playcounts info?

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 07:09:47 am »

Hi lads,

I'm not asking FOR anything, I'm just curious how the multiple artists thing actually works in practice & what you have to do to albums you rip to get it to work (for future reference) given that I've never used/ seen it used.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 10:18:27 am »

park,

Adding support for 'Multiple-Artists' is on the 'to do' list. iTunes shows a value for 'Arist', we store 'Artist', 'Album Artist', and 'Album Artist(auto)' which causes ambiguity in the system we have implemented for file matching between portables and MC.

Changing MC so that iTunes can recognize the last played and playcounts is possible. I will get to it in the future.

Penfold,

MC will handle the Multiple Artist issue automatically when you rip a compilation CD.

Steve

Penfold

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 11:41:14 am »

OK, that's sound from a MC perspective, thanks, so how does the iPod display multiple artists that make it such a benefit over plain vanilla 'artist' listings?

TIA

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 11:07:23 am »

Penfold,

iPod will display whatever is passed in as 'Artist'. This issue with MC is you used to be able to select what was passed as 'Artist' from either 'Artist', 'Album Artist', or 'Album Artist (auto).

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up