INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Error restoring Media Center Licence"  (Read 6865 times)

Wintings

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
"Error restoring Media Center Licence"
« on: May 03, 2004, 09:58:37 am »

If, in Windows Explorer, I double-click on an mp3 file (which is displayed as a Media Center icon, thereby showing that MC is registered as my default player) I always get the message "Error restoring Media Center license: Failed extracting license from file." Pointing the program to the location of the licence file and then trying again still yields the same error message.
If, however, I open the file from WITHIN Media Center (via File/Open....), the mp3 file plays without problems -- and clicking on Help/About shows that MC is properly registered.

I am using the latest version of MC (10.0.127) and am running WinXP with SP1.

Can you help please?
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:"Error restoring Media Center Licence"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 04:36:03 pm »

Since this isn't a problem we've heard before, a good place to start might be an uninstall, reboot, then reinstall.  

Let us know.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Wile E. One

• World Citizen
Now isn't this just typical of whereever this is?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 09:00:57 pm »

I tried to duplicate this today, but couldn't.  Something else may be going on.  Here's an example of what can happen:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21122

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 05:22:37 am »

Thanks Wild E One for referring me to http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18909;start=msg131178#msg131178
where exactly the the same problem as I am experiencing was described (but no resolution of the issue seems to have been found). If I had discovered that earlier post I would have posted my query there.

I have completely uninstalled Media Center and reinstalled it but to no avail. Likewise I have run Norton WinDoctor without curing it.

The problem still persists and is annoying because sometimes I want to play a music file just by clicking on its Desktop icon rather than having to open MC first and then navigate to it.
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

JimH

• Administrator

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 07:32:59 am »

This thread may also help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=20957;start=msg146542#msg146542

Regrettably there's nothing there to solve this one. I guess I'll have to uninstall Media Center and revert to using Windows Media Player. I only wish this problem had come to light before I paid my registration fee!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 08:24:18 am »

My guess is that you have something causing problems with your registry entries.  Here's another example:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=20775;start=msg145070#msg145070

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 11:04:36 am »

The mjr file is an Install Key which is good for 14 days.  After that, you can get a new Install Key by visiting the Restore page.  Details are in the FAQ here:

www.mediajukebox.com/license

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 11:18:38 am »

The problem I am now having is to get MC registered as my default player for music files.

I uninstalled MC and cleaned my registry of all references to J River and Music Center. I then reinstalled MC and was required to enter my registration code to download a fresh mjr file. This installed itself OK and I nowhave freshly registered version of Music Center.

Trouble is, although I have gone into Options and checked the music files that I want associated with MC (including mp3's), these are still opened by Windows Media Player when I double click on them in Explorer (and they do not display the Media Center icon). Right-clicking on the mp3 file in Explorer, selecting "Play With..." and choosing Media Center and checking the "Always use this program" box still doesn't associate the files with Media Center.

So the nature of the problenm has shifted slightly. Before, the mp3 files were registered to MC but gave me the "Error restoring license" message. Now, I can't get the files registered to Media Center!

Where do I go from here, please?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 11:21:54 am »

Did you turn off the file associations in WMP?  You must do so.

LonWar

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 11:22:42 am »

The problem I am now having is to get MC registered as my default player for music files.

I uninstalled MC and cleaned my registry of all references to J River and Music Center. I then reinstalled MC and was required to enter my registration code to download a fresh mjr file. This installed itself OK and I nowhave freshly registered version of Music Center.

Trouble is, although I have gone into Options and checked the music files that I want associated with MC (including mp3's), these are still opened by Windows Media Player when I double click on them in Explorer (and they do not display the Media Center icon). Right-clicking on the mp3 file in Explorer, selecting "Play With..." and choosing Media Center and checking the "Always use this program" box still doesn't associate the files with Media Center.

So the nature of the problenm has shifted slightly. Before, the mp3 files were registered to MC but gave me the "Error restoring license" message. Now, I can't get the files registered to Media Center!

Where do I go from here, please?

Tools
Options
File Associations
Make sure the box, Always take control of these file types .... Is checked.

Let us know if this works
-

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2004, 11:46:16 am »

Thanks, imjustagamer, I've done that and MC is now associated with my music files. But this has only brought back the original problem that I started this thread with. Clicking on an mp3 file in Windows Explorer gives me the error message: "Error restoring Media Center license: Failed extracting license from file." Navigating to the mjr file re-registers MC (and I can open all files fine from WITHIN Music Center) but as soon as I try opening one via Windows, back comes the error message!

I've tried the date-change fix suggested by mrviola and unfortunately it didn't work for me but it's interesting to note that he too had the same problem, as indeed did philth in thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=18909;start=msg131178#msg131178 . So it seems that it's not just a peculiarity of my Windows set-up.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2004, 12:52:58 pm »

We need a little help on this one.

With regedit, export (File > Export) these keys and send them to matt @ jriver.com (no spaces)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaJukebox.File
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MediaJukebox.Registration

Hopefully that'll give us what we need to track down the problem.  Thanks!

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2004, 02:31:50 pm »

Matt,

I have e-mailed them to you , as requested.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 02:34:02 pm »

It didn't make it through.

Maybe zip them up and rename it to something random. (regzip.rename or something)  Then try again.

Thanks so much for helping.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2004, 11:04:24 am »

I get this problem too  - but only for double-clicking the MP3 file in Windows Explorer. If i click OK on the popup, Media Center then opens, but not with the selected file.

However, if i right-click, then Media Center, then Play - it opens up and plays fine.

It's not enough to annoy me too much, but it definitely isn't working as designed!

I'm running Win2K - if that makes any difference....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2004, 03:02:47 pm »

This should be fixed in 10.0.130, which will be available later today.

Please let us know what you find, and thanks for all the help.

adamsp70

• World Citizen
  • Unwired for sound...
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 08:11:50 am »

Yep - that's fixed it. Thank you very much!

:-*
Pages: [1]   Go Up