INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can MC10 play Xvid AVI files?  (Read 4416 times)

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
Can MC10 play Xvid AVI files?
« on: May 04, 2004, 11:59:20 am »

I have recently begun backing up my DVD collection to Xvid AVI files using AutoGordianKnot 1.19b. The AVI movie files play beautifully in Nero6 Showtime, but I can't get them to play properly in MC10.  I posted this as a "possible bug", but I'm not sure that it is. It could be that MC10 just can't play mpeg4 - Xvid files.

Does anyone know the answer? If you do, would you please explain how you got MC10 to play Xvid AVI files.

In my case, MC10 will play the video, but not the audio. About 20 to 30 seconds after the movie begins to play a Windows dialog pops up indicating a serious error has occurred and would I like to report it. If I don't click on 'cancel' or 'send' the movie continues to play without sound. The minute I click on 'cancel' or 'send', MC10 crashes.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Edit: 5/4/04 @ 2:29pm EDT. Thanks guys. I just solved the problem. Seems all I had to do was install an open source AC3 filter - version 0.70. BTW, it seems that MC10 automatically recognizes the FFDshow filter. Very cool.

For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, I suggest you try installing: AutoGordianKnot 1.19b; FFDShow; and the open source AC3Filter (found at SourceForge).

Then, rip one of your own DVDs with DVDdecrypter to HD and run it through AGKnot to make an AVI at a target quality of 80%. I think you're gonna be amazed. A 10GB - 3 hr movie compresses down to 2.1GB and looks darn near as good as the original dvd with FFDShow post processing. Think of how many movies you can store on a 250GB HD. The only down side is time to transcode - about 2hrs 15min  per 2 hour movie on a 3GHz P4 with good RDRAM or DDRAM. Almost realtime transcoding.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Can MC10 play Xvid AVI files?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 12:39:03 pm »

Wild guesses here....

Try installing Quicktime.  It will install an MPEG4 decoder.

Try renaming the files.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 01:05:24 pm »

Well, Xvids work flawlessly on MC 10 on my computer. I use a "codec pack" I've downloaded off the web a while back. Since I'm not currently home I cannot tell you the name of it, but all you have to do is download the xvid codec and install it.

-Cascius

FlyingCowOfDoom

• Recent member
  • smarter than the average rock
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 01:10:10 pm »

Try downloading the K-Lite Codec Pack: http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

--FCOD

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 01:22:48 pm »

I have not done a rip, but I do watch TV shows that are XVid encoded. Haven't seen any problem with any of them. What other apps have you used to play the files besides Nero?

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 01:23:59 pm »

Well, Xvids work flawlessly on MC 10 on my computer. I use a "codec pack" I've downloaded off the web a while back. Since I'm not currently home I cannot tell you the name of it, but all you have to do is download the xvid codec and install it.

-Cascius

I already have the necessary Xvid codec installed. Thanks.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 01:26:13 pm »

I have not done a rip, but I do watch TV shows that are XVid encoded. Haven't seen any problem with any of them. What other apps have you used to play the files besides Nero?

Just installed ZoomPlayer Pro and open source AC3 filter, plus FFDShow filter. This works great, but I am still gunning for getting MC10 to work as a single solution for AVI video and music.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 01:50:47 pm »

I am not sure. I am able to get most of my XVid files to work. But I got some files that just refuses to work with MC10. Whenever MC tried to preview those files, it would just crash. Basically I can't even play them. I am pretty sure that its not a problem with the codec because it will just play fine on other players like Windows Media Player or BSplayer. And also, I was using K-lite codec pack that time too.
Don't Panic!

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 09:03:00 pm »

Does anyone know the answer? If you do, would you please explain how you got MC10 to play Xvid AVI files.

seems i was too slow to catch this one... i had EXACTLY this problem a couple of months back and yup it was the same filter i needed...

so you use 80% Xvid - funny that. i just did a set of double blind tests with some friends this afternoon on a 30" hdtv and found that above 75% people really had difficulty distinguishing that from the original source...

Scarpad

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 07:23:42 am »

I've encoded mainly some TV Eps and I agree they look good , but the transcoding time is a real problem.  I'd love to put all my Trek Eps on my Server, but it would take so long to do that I'm not Sure it's Practical. Then I would have to backup the lot too.

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 11:30:50 am »

From Pipsqueak: so you use 80% Xvid - funny that. i just did a set of double blind tests with some friends this afternoon on a 30" hdtv and found that above 75% people really had difficulty distinguishing that from the original source...

Pipsqueak,

I only use 80% on selected movies, like T2, The Matrix, most good Sci-Fi and Action flicks. Everything else goes to 75%. I told a friend of mine about this software 2 days ago and he's amazed by Xvid at 75%.

I found that ZoomPlayer Pro + FFDshow + AC3Filter results in an awesome result. MC10 +FFDshow +AC3Filter is very impressive as well; although MC10 gives me a problem when exiting from playing an AVI - seems to hang too long before exiting - almost going into a 'not responding' mode.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

pipsqueak

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 02:14:15 pm »

I only use 80% on selected movies, like T2, The Matrix, most good Sci-Fi and Action flicks. Everything else goes to 75%. I told a friend of mine about this software 2 days ago and he's amazed by Xvid at 75%.

I found that ZoomPlayer Pro + FFDshow + AC3Filter results in an awesome result. MC10 +FFDshow +AC3Filter is very impressive as well; although MC10 gives me a problem when exiting from playing an AVI - seems to hang too long before exiting - almost going into a 'not responding' mode.

Rizlaw - i meant its quite interesting that we both came up with basically the same kb rate. what do you watch the output on?

also im not sure what i use as a xvid decoder. my dvd settings are:

DSound Renderer
Video Renderer
AC3 Filter
Overlay Mixer
Line 21 Decoder
Intervideo Video Decoder
DVD Navigator

any idea on if other programs /plugins would be better???

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 03:16:12 pm »

Rizlaw - i meant its quite interesting that we both came up with basically the same kb rate. what do you watch the output on?

also im not sure what i use as a xvid decoder. my dvd settings are:

DSound Renderer
Video Renderer
AC3 Filter
Overlay Mixer
Line 21 Decoder
Intervideo Video Decoder
DVD Navigator

any idea on if other programs /plugins would be better???

Pip,

Presently, I am only watching the output on my Sony WD900 24" CRT, but in a short while, I plan to setup an HTPC in my bedroom to watch the output on a 42" Panasonic ED Plasma via the RGB output from the PC to the Plasma.

I am only using the Xvid codec installed by AutoGordianKnot 1.19b. From what I have read on the Doom9 website, Xvid is superior to the Divx codec, and the Xvid codec that comes with AutoGordianKnot is the only one you can use if you plan on using AGK to create your Xvid movies. You should remove all other versions of Xvid from your computer if you plan to use AKG 1.19b.

I have very quickly become impressed with the "FFDshow" filter for improving ALL DVD and AVI video through either MC10, ZoomPlayer Pro and TheaterTek. If you haven't tried FFDshow, but are interested in doing so, I suggest you download the latest version from here: http://athos.leffe.dnsalias.com/. The latest version is "ffdshow-20040501". Then go to http://www.htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1 to get a great Guide on how to setup FFDshow with the ZoomPlayerPro or TheaterTek software players for DVD and AVI movies. After you setup FFDshow for either player, it will be automatically recognized by MC10.0.xxx.  The improvement in perceived video playback quality of all DVD's and AVI is very apparent.

Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

pipsqueak

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 11:09:06 pm »

Rizlaw

am getting there slowly. i updated my version of autoGK (i was on 1.12) and downloaded FFDshow and zoomplayer. set it all up as suggested and tried watching a dvd in zoom to see if all was okay.

unfortunately the video hangs in zoom so i just get a static screen, but audio is fine. the screen does have the green writing in the top left so i think im doing it right.

now the questions i have are:
1) why does it hang
and
2) how do i know MC is using FFDShow when i play dvd's through that?

pip

[edit: its ffdshow thats causing the video to hang, if i uncheck all the codec options video plays fine - still not sure why]

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 11:32:44 am »

Rizlaw

unfortunately the video hangs in zoom so i just get a static screen, but audio is fine. the screen does have the green writing in the top left so i think im doing it right.

now the questions i have are:
1) why does it hang
and
2) how do i know MC is using FFDShow when i play dvd's through that?

pip

[edit: its ffdshow thats causing the video to hang, if i uncheck all the codec options video plays fine - still not sure why]

Pip,

Q1. Why does the video hang?

Firstly, by video hanging, I assume you mean that it's stuttering and not playing smoothly. I also noticed that you said that if you unchecked ALL the codecs in FFDshow, video played OK. I assume from that statement that you checked off all the codecs when you configured FFDshow? The Guide I referred you to, only stated to enable all supported "raw video" in addition to what is enabled by the default installtion of FFDshow. The more things you enable in FFDshow, the harder you make it on your cpu to post process the video. Decoding Mpeg4 is more stressful on cpus than Mpeg2. So my first piece of advice is, initially, to strictly follow the HTPCNEWS Guide's setup instructions.
             Next, assuming your computer has a 2GHz or better CPU, good dram and video card, the latest version of ZP Pro, FFDshow, and AC3filer, you should not see any stutter in the video. The only time I seem to experince stutter is when playing the AVI files with Nero Showtime (which doesn't use FFDshow). ZP Pro and MC10 no longer produce any stutter on my systems, even with Symantec/Norton Antivirus running.
             In your case, for now, I would also suggest that you disable any Antivirus or other system tray programs that may be running background processes sucking off cpu cycles. These programs may be a problem for your system.
              Defraging the HD you keep your video files on would also help.
             I would also set your initial resolution in FFDshow to 720x480 to see if you continue to see stutter. You shouldn't, since this is the standard progressive DVD setting use by all computer based video software players to playback DVD video.
             Finally, you might want to check out these useful links for more expert help than I can give ( I'm still new to Xvid AVI video processing):

- AGKnot forum at: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=28.
- AGKnot home page: http://www.autogk.net/web/
- Digital Video Forum on Xvid: http://forum.digital-digest.com/forumdisplay.php?s=439e83188e791d3b44669de06e0a1ace&forumid=39
- FFDshow homepage: http://cutka.szm.sk/
- AVS Forum FFDshow thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=1bf106bd1e9d9a47ba09749361e260c2&threadid=399240&highlight=ffdshow

Q2 - How do I know MC10 is using FFDshow?

This one is easy. As long as you have "OSD" checked off in FFDshow, you will see the green text output by FFDshow regarding frames, video input resolution size, video output resolution size, etc., in the top left hand corner of MC10 as it plays the AVI files (Just like it does in ZP Pro). If you don't see this status info, then FFDshow isn't working correctly. Once you see everything is working, you can go back to FFDshow and uncheck the "OSD" option so you don't see it when watching movies. Seems MC10 automatically recognizes and uses the FFDshow direct show filter without any special setup.

Hope I have been of some help. ?

Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

pipsqueak

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 11:57:29 am »

Rizlaw

You helped with question2 definately!

Hanging = video plays for a fraction of a second then the frame stands still.

I followed the ffdshow guide to the letter, what i meant was when i uncheck all the post processing options (eg. OSD, resize etc) then it plays fine, but as soon as i add any FFDShow options the video hangs. Ive enough ram and processor speed so that isnt the issue. I have 1gig ram, 2.4ghz cpu, 64mb video (shared memory so this is pretty weak) - but should be enough...

i had also followed everything you suggested: reduce output lines etc.

whatever it is is to do with ffdshow...

pip

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 03:35:21 pm »

Hanging = video plays for a fraction of a second then the frame stands still.

i had also followed everything you suggested: reduce output lines etc.

whatever it is is to do with ffdshow...

pip

Pip,

As I said before, I'm not the expert I'd like to be when it comes to Xvid and FFDshow, but I would agree that your video card is a bit on the "light" side. I know that you can get an Nvidia FX5200 video card with 128MB Dram for about $50 at Newegg - if that interests you at all. As long as your not a Gamer, it's a fine and fanless card for an HTPC.

Assuming you are running XP:

- I would make sure you have DirectX 9.0B installed;
- I would check to see if you are using hardware video acceleration and if so, try changing to software mode. For example, in TheaterTek's "Video" section you can disable "DXVA". This seems to help some folks with mpeg4 video. No clue why.
- You might try changing the video renderer in ZP Pro's "DVD Setup" to something other than "overlay mixer" which is the default.
- In FFDshow you might try changing from "Lanczos" to "Bicubic" under Resize & Aspect Settings
- Someone on the TheaterTek Forum suggested this hack to the following Registry location if you are using the Sonic Cinemaster audio and video filters that come with TT to setup FFDshow as per the Guide. Exercise caution with this one:

Registry location:

HKLM-> Software-> Sonic-> Cinemaster DS DVD-> 2.5-> VideoDecoder

change UseDXVA to 0 to disable.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

pipsqueak

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 07:32:34 pm »

thanks rizlaw - will look into this after the weekend.

pip
Pages: [1]   Go Up