INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wireless pc to receiver?  (Read 3766 times)

goose

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
wireless pc to receiver?
« on: May 07, 2004, 05:26:21 pm »

I would like to transmit from my home PC to my workshop stereo receiver...about 200 feet and 3 walls away. I have no wireless devices and little understanding of them. Can someone help me pick the appropriate gear? I'd like to be able to cue up several hours of music with MC10 on my computer and listen to it in the shop on my fairly conventional component system. I don't need to be fanatical about audio quality, as the shop is a noisy place anyway. Hard wiring is not practical for several reasons.
Thanks for any insights,
Randy

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:wireless pc to receiver?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 02:33:06 pm »

The device on the receiving end is usually called a "media receiver".  You would also need a wireless access point.  The media receiver comes with software for the PC.  We're working on supporting them, too, but the support isn't very broad yet.

Manufacturers include Linksys, D-link, Netgear, Sony, and HP.  Best Buy, Micro Center, and CompUSA sell them.

goose

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 05:45:19 pm »

Thanks, Jim.....that helps. I assume I'll need to either add a card to my computer or use a usb or firewire device, correct? This is not terribly urgent, would I be wise to wait until you broaden your support?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 10:40:07 am »

You just need a network connecting your PC with the media receiver.  It can be wireless or ordinary wired network.

BDR

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 10:07:00 am »

I am in a similar situation and will be moving into a new house in which I would like to locate my Media Center Computer in the study, but have it linked with my sound system in the living room.  I have checked into some of these wireless "Media Receivers" such as the Linksys one but they all seem to imply that they only use their own software to access your files stored on the computer.

This creates two problems.  First, I have most of my music stored as APE files, and these devices only work with MP3 or WMA files.  Second, it seems to imply that you have to use the Linksys interface via their remote in order to access your files.  Therefore you could not use Media Center while transmitting over this wireless network.

I would prefer to just go into my study, que up my playlist using Media Center, and then have the wireless system transmit these already processed signals to the wireless media receiver and then into my stereo receiver/TV.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 09:53:57 am »

BDR, here's just a thought: why don't you get another comp like on craigslist? U can get a P4 2.6+ system for $400 or so. Those are cheap and would simplify your life.

-Cascius

fidelio

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 04:21:27 pm »

I have a similar request than stated before.

I suggest that JRiver cooperate with a Media Receiver manufacturer, in order to market a MC1x compatible receiver (WI-FI and alternatively normal Ethernet).

For a price less than 250 USD I would definitely buy one, assuming it can provide high quality audio output !

FYI, I've been using MC10 for 6 weeks now, love it and have all my CD's converted to FLAC (supported in MC10 via plug-in).

I dislike the "just another PC" alternative (as a receiver), since in my master bedroom I just want to stream some audio files

As universal remote control I am using netremote on a PPC (www.netremote.org).

BTW, as an alternative to a media receiver I have been thinking of using the SPDIF coax out from my media center PC's soundcard to a remotely located (standard audio) receiver. There seems to be a distance limit of about 10-15m, in my case unfortunately not enough (required 30 m).

Any hints / recommendations?
Pages: [1]   Go Up