INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Rip at Work  (Read 2498 times)

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
Can't Rip at Work
« on: April 08, 2004, 01:40:13 pm »

I've ripped all my music at home with no problem... Today I tried to Rip on my work machine and can't seem to do it. (I don't remember if I ever could).
It says 'initializing for rip' then ejects the CD and lists all the tracks as 'failed'.  I've tried both drives and several CDs.

Can anyone see anything obvious from my set up???

Media Center Registered 10.0.110 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 1295 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 10 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E: Lite-On LTN486  48x Max   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: _NEC    NR-7900A          Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: _NEC     NR-7900A           Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:10  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Thanks
Jim

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Can't Rip at Work
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2004, 02:16:59 pm »

Are you on a corporate network?  Could it be a security policy that the company has set for each of its workstations?

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2004, 03:01:02 pm »

I am the corporation.... We are just 4 or 5 machines plugged into a hub.... I'm the administrator, even though I don't know much about networking........ So it's not a policy.....

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2004, 03:37:16 pm »

Check the path MC has for where to put the ripped files.  It sounds like it might be pointing to a location that either does not exist, or is not accessible.

Options > File Locations > Output File Location
pretend this is something funny

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 10:35:44 am »

I've tried different locations for the temp files and the final files and tried to rip to MP3 and WAV.... but no luck...

Any other ideas??

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 09:59:01 am »

Can you rip ok with other software on this machine?
Check the cabling. If both cd drives are on one cable, one should be jumpered to "master" (probably the burner) and one should be jumpered to "slave". If one drive shares a cable with the hard drive, the hard drive should be master and cd drive should be slave. If the cd drive is alone on a cable, it should be set to master.

You could also check whether the cd drives are using DMA or PIO data transfer. Try using the opposite setting to what it's using currently to see if ripping improves. Normally DMA is the best setting, unless the drive doesn't handle it well.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 03:58:07 pm »

John....
I did some more experimenting.... I downloaded CDex from the web and I can use that to rip....
I also opened up my machine and moved the jumpers on the two drive to what I think are Master and Slave.
The same thing happens as before....

One thing of note... The drive letters have been reversed.... but in the MC system info the burning drive has changed, but the ripping drives still have the old letters???

Any more ideas.....
Media Center Registered 10.0.112 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Pentium 4 1289 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 130 MB, Free - 13 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive E: Lite-On LTN486  48x Max   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F: _NEC    NR-7900A          Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: _NEC     NR-7900A           Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:4  MaxSpeed:4  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

maxl311

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 10:43:59 pm »

I am getting  a similar issue, though not exactly the same. MC will actually start ripping and then fail after no more than 2 tracks with an ASPI error. Happens every time. Any ideas what is happening here?

Media Center Registered 10.0.113 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2001 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 492 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive E: ATAPI   CD-RW 52X24       Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\Glass.wav

Burning /  Drive E: ATAPI    CD-RW 52X24        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

lukecro

• Junior Woodchuck
  • editorial, publishing
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 07:05:14 pm »

I've had similiar problems ever since MC 9 (only on my work computer). Maybe 8. I can't remember anymore. An earelier build of MJ certianly worked. After a lot of help from the MC people and the Interact forum, I eventually had to give up  (okay, it CAN rip now, but everything comes out really jittery and filled with echo). I use the free AudiCrusher to rip now, and MC to play and keep track of my music files.

Actually, the other weird thing was that at the same time that MC stopped being able to rip CDs, it also stopped being able to PLAY them . . . it can no longer play in digital mode, and in analog it will only play the CD as on giant "live" steaming track.

But since every other player and ripper out there seems to work on my PC, I use them for CDs (AudioCrusher is nice and small and fast, and while it's options are limited, it's all I need to get the CDs turned into MP3s and auto-tagged before playing them in MC 10). .. there's still nothing better out there than MC for playing, tagging, and organizing Mp3s -- especially with those crazy-awesome SpartaKing plug-ins and the great new MC 10 interface. Strange that others are having similiar problems with ripping, though.

I'm on a Dell running Windows Pro on a network . . . anyone else here having the problem on a similiar setup?

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 09:57:30 am »

I am getting  a similar issue, though not exactly the same. MC will actually start ripping and then fail after no more than 2 tracks with an ASPI error. Happens every time. Any ideas what is happening here?
Can you give me the exact text of the error message? Also, try sending me a log file of a ripping session that fails. (JSmithson: please send me a log file also).  Here's how to create the log:

Turn on MC's logging for CD ripping by changing the value of this registry key from zero (0) to one (1):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JRiver\Media Jukebox\CD Reader\Logger

Then just start up Media Center and try to rip a CD. Then exit MC and find a file in the MC program directory called "cdripper.log" and email that to me. Remember that the log file is overwritten each time you start up MC, so you must send the file before restarting MC. If the file is large, you may want to zip it before sending.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
johnt @ jriver.com

JSmithson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 12:09:18 pm »

John....
     I changed the reg Key (I first for me) and tried ripping.... but no log was created???  It fails while it says 'Initializing for Rip'   could this be before the logger starts, or did I set up the key incorrectly??  the value is 0x1 which I assume is the same as 1
Jim

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 12:42:12 pm »

John....
     I changed the reg Key (I first for me) and tried ripping.... but no log was created???  It fails while it says 'Initializing for Rip'   could this be before the logger starts, or did I set up the key incorrectly??  the value is 0x1 which I assume is the same as 1
Jim

0x1 should be fine. Did you change the key while running MC? If so, exit MC and restart it and try again.
Are you logged on with administrator privilege at work? If not, you'll need to run a small utility that opens up the CD drives for rip/burn rights for MC.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 11:39:45 pm »

4 or 5 machines and they're all available to you?..at all hours? If you have bulk ripping/encoding's to do then you ought to use EAC. You can install it on every machine and fly (relatively speaking) through your CD's.

Here's how I do it...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=21311;start=msg149465#msg149465

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up