INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug? Can't rip to wma  (Read 1765 times)

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
Bug? Can't rip to wma
« on: May 03, 2004, 10:49:17 pm »

I am having trouble ripping CDs to Windows Media Format. After encoding the first track, MC will stop with the progress bar at 100%. But, it doesn't go to the next track. That first file gets written to disk but MC still shows it is encoding track 1 (but, with 100% progress bar). When I check Taskmanager, MC is using 04% CPU cycles. But, when I close MC in this state, MC stays loaded and the CPU usage jumps up to 100%. I have to stop the process in taskmanager.

I have downloaded and installed the latest plugin. I have tried several different CDs. I have also tried ripping to CBR as well as VBR. MC hangs on both formats as described above.

I didn't put this in the MC 10.0.128 topic because I had this in 127 also. I updated thinking this might help but, it didn't.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Media Center Registered 10.0.128 -- C:\Program Files\J River Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 528 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 457 MB, Free - 178 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1242 (xpsp2.030702-2125) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2212  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R2212   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:1  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

groovedaddy

• Recent member
  • Stay still so I can hack your arm off...
Re:Bug? Can't rip to wma
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 05:15:09 am »

edbro,

I've been ripping to wma with the latest build, but haven't experienced the same problems. Have you tried deselecting the option to get cover art when ripping? Its a shot in the dark. Here's my info in case it helps to compare and contrast:

Media Center Registered 10.0.128 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows Me
Intel Pentium III 998 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 167 MB
Resource Info: System - 30 %, GDI - 49 %, User - 30 %

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 5.50.4134.100 / wnaspi32.dll: 2, 0, 0, 0 , ASPI for WIN32 DLL, Copyright © Adaptec 1995 / Aspi32.sys: N/A

Ripping /   Drive E: _NEC    DV-5700A          Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\MEDIA\Sounds\hillbillies - wheedoggy.wav

Burning /  Drive F: LG       CD-RW CED-8080B    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

Hope that helps.

GDaddy
Still partying like it's 999.

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 06:32:18 am »

Is there a "..." in the tiltle of the song or album name?
-

edbro

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 07:09:04 am »

I tried it with the Get CoverArt option unchecked but it did the same thing. It is not the filename because I have tried with several different CDs.

5TillFree

• Recent member
  • Rock On!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 08:08:05 am »

This sounds like a problem that's been around for a long time; They just don't seem to care to fix it. Search my posts and you'll find at least 3 posts related to this problem that might help, but I doubt it :(. Good luck!
»» Select Windows Freeware ««
http://www.SelectFreeware.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 08:21:06 am »

This sounds like a problem that's been around for a long time; They just don't seem to care to fix it.
It's difficult to fix problems that we can't reproduce.

Can you rip to WAV or APE?

Some disks cannot be ripped because of copy protection.

edbro

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 08:44:39 am »

Well, I have not tried wave or ape but I did successfuly rip to ogg from inside MC. The cds are not copy protected. In fact, the cds are ones that I burned myself and I am now trying to rip back into wma.

After MC failed, I was able to rip these same cds from Windows media player as well as QCD with a plugin. On my last attempt with MC, I let it sit for 12 minutes to see if it would jump to the next track. No go. After I shutdown MC, it stayed resident and jumped to 99% cpu usage.

edbro

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 08:50:15 am »

5TillFree, I looked at your previous posts but my problem is a little different. It appears you were able to get through the entire cd before MC hung. For me, MC hangs after the first track.

Actually, hang is not the proper term. MC is still responsive after I eventually cancel the rip. But, it will not shut down properly. The wierd part is that after it chokes on the rip, the cpu usage is only about 4% but it jumps up to 99 after trying to shut down the app.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 09:12:24 am »

I'm not sure what's happening. Here are some things to try:

1. Try using the file converter tool to convert one of your existing files to wma to see if you have the same problem. Use plain wma (not lossless or VBR) and click settings to make sure "personal rights..." is not checked. Let us know the result.

2. Try ripping to ape, wave, mp3 etc. to see if they all work ok. Let us know.

3. On the Devices options page, disable "analyze audio", "eject CD", "play sound", "get cover art". In advanced ripping settings, use copy mode Normal, read speed Max, read offset compensation 0, enable "encode on the fly while ripping", verify that max concurrent ripping processes and max combined processes are both set to 1. In "File Location", verify that your temporary and base path locations are valid and have plenty of disk space.

3. Now try ripping one CD track. If it doesn't work, try a couple different CD's.

4. If #3 still failed, disable YADB lookup and insert an audio CD that MC has never seen before. You should see tracks names listed as "Track 01, Track 02... etc.". Try ripping one track now.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 09:23:30 am »

Okay, thanks, will do this evening when I get back home.

5TillFree

• Recent member
  • Rock On!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 07:18:46 pm »

I can rip only ONE cd to wma, then the second CD hangs at initialization.  I haven't tried ripping to mp3 or ogg to see if the problem is wma related (becasue mp3 stinks, and ogg isn't supported on much hardware).

I'll try ripping 2 cd's to mp3 and post my results.
»» Select Windows Freeware ««
http://www.SelectFreeware.com

edbro

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 07:21:58 pm »

Well, I found the problem I think. When I selected "encode on the fly" I no longer had a problem!  :) Your suggestion however to select encode on the fly and "verify that max concurrent ripping processes and max combined processes are both set to 1" is not possible on my machine. If I select encode on the fly, the max processes box is greyed out.

One other thing I see but not related. MC's sys info reports my cpu as "AMD Athlon 528 MHz MMX". It is actually an mobile AMD 2500 which runs at 1855 MHz.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 07:57:31 am »

Well, I found the problem I think. When I selected "encode on the fly" I no longer had a problem!  :)
Take a look at your temp directory where the intermediate ripped file gets placed when "encode on the fly" is not selected. Are there files in this directory? If so, see if you can delete them.

Your suggestion however to select encode on the fly and "verify that max concurrent ripping processes and max combined processes are both set to 1" is not possible on my machine. If I select encode on the fly, the max processes box is greyed out.
This indicates that you have only one cd drive on your machine so MC's behavior is correct.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 11:03:24 pm »

Take a look at your temp directory where the intermediate ripped file gets placed when "encode on the fly" is not selected. Are there files in this directory? If so, see if you can delete them.

YES! I had over 700MB of files there, all *.wav files. And, yes, I could delete them. Of course, they were a couple of days old now and MC was not loaded when I deleted them.

swan46

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 08:23:31 am »

I have exactly the same "stalling" problem. It only occurs while ripping to wma, and only if the "normalization" feature is checked. If "normalization" is unchecked, everything works fine.

While Ripping to mp3, the problem does not occur; either with normalization on or off. Converting to wma works fine also.

The problem can't be solved by checking "encode on the fly". After the system has stalled and mc is restarted, "on the fly" automatically unchecks.

To me, the general problem seems to be the normalization feature while ripping wma ?!?

Here is my configuration (even if I chek normalization, my system info says: "Normalization: none"):

Media Center 10.0.132 -- C:\Programme\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 1492 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R9012  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: TOSHIBA  DVD-ROM SD-R9012   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Pages: [1]   Go Up