INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Pat Metheny streaming video  (Read 5530 times)

Shelly

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I love listening to music with Media Center!
OT: Pat Metheny streaming video
« on: May 08, 2004, 01:58:46 pm »

For the Pat Metheny fans and potential fans among us, I just stumbled across this streaming video of Pat Metheny with the Metropole Orchestra from the 2003 North Sea Jazz Festival.  Enjoy!

http://cgi.omroep.nl/cgi-bin/streams?/nps/jazzbijdenps/nsjf2003/bb.patmetheny.rm

Shelly

Listening to: 'First Circle' from 'NSJF 2003 Streaming Video' by 'Pat Metheny / Metropole Orchestra' on Media Center 10

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:OT: Pat Metheny streaming video
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 02:21:52 pm »

Does not seem to work.  All I get is a "Please select files to play" then nothing.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Shelly

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 02:34:14 pm »

I should have posted details of how I got it to work.  It's a real media file, so I tried to open it first in Real Player (which I hate).  Real Player wanted to perform an upgrade, which I agreed to.  However, I didn't associate any files with RP.  After rebooting I was able to play it in both Real Player and Media Center.  Real Player does not need to be open to play the video in MC.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 03:59:25 pm »

Hi Shelly;

I was running Real Player 8 Basic (had not used it in 2 years).

Went ahead & updated Real Player to v10 with no associations.

Now when I click on the link, Real Player 10 opens but it says the file can not be found that the link may have expired.

Also it does not work at all with Opera browser;  I had to use IE to get as far as I did.

I completely agree with you... I HATE REAL PLAYER & all the c**p they try put on my computer.

What a total bunch of nonsense just to get one video to play.

Does the link still play for you ?
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 04:21:40 pm »

Hi Shelly, I also can not open or play file with MC or UNreal player v10 . Doc did You ever get it to work?

DocLotus

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 04:38:52 pm »

Nope >:(

It says "The file can not be found or the link may have expired". :P

Too bad, I really like Metheny.  I have several of his CD's.

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 04:51:56 pm »

Thank's Doc I thought it was My machine. Hey Doc have You ever herd of a band called Glass Harp they were out of theYougstown area in the early 70s?

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 05:16:39 pm »

Have not heard of them; I left Youngstown in the 40's & have been back only a few times to visit.

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 05:23:12 pm »

Doc , Glass Harps guitar players name is Phil Keaggy some of His solo stuf is in the same vein as Metheny . very, very good.

Shelly

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2004, 06:15:03 pm »

I just modified the posted link as there may have been a space in it.  Sorry for the frustration.

After upgrading to Real Player 10, I pasted the link into MC File--->Open Url.  This video is really worth the hassle!

By the way, Doc, my mother and her 6 siblings were born in Youngstown.  Small world.

Shelly

DocLotus

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2004, 06:39:53 pm »

Simply Amazing ;D

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2004, 06:43:00 pm »

Thanks Shelly ;D

It now works 8)

Will let you know what I think about it.

Shelly

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2004, 06:44:22 pm »

Your welcome, Doc!  Hope you like it as much as we did!

Shelly

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 06:51:46 pm »

DocLotus

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 07:19:12 pm »

WOW :o

That was one wonderful jazz stream. 8)

Was sad to see it end after only one piece

Thanks for the lineup link.

North Sea Jazz seems to be awsome indeed.

How did you find this ?

Shelly

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2004, 07:58:27 pm »

WOW :o

That was one wonderful jazz stream. 8)

Was sad to see it end after only one piece

Thanks for the lineup link.

North Sea Jazz seems to be awsome indeed.

How did you find this ?

DocLotus,

Happy you enjoyed it!  I subscribe to the Pat Metheny Group Mailing List on Yahoo: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/pat-metheny/.  I was looking for information on his summer tour plans and stumbled across the video link in one of the messages posted back a couple of weeks.  A little bit of searching led me to the NSJF site: http://www.northseajazz.nl/index.en.html.  Looks like this festival draws many of the top jazz artists in the world.  What a thrill it would be to attend!  

I'd love to know who the female vocalist in the video is.  She's not listed in the artist line up.  

Graydog,

Did you get it to work?

Shelly

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 08:29:46 pm »

It worked for me on RealPlayer. It was absolutely wonderful. Thank you, Shelly. If you know of any other videos of that quality, let me know.

Reminds me of a story:
Back in the 80's, when cable TV was young, I couldn't wait for MTV to come along (remember "I want my MTV"?) so I could see music videos. I thought that that meant seeing the artists perform as in that stream above. Silly me. I was incredibly disappointed in what an actual music video was. Seemed cheap, insincere and dishonest. I still think so.
I guess you could say that I've been looking for that Pat Metheny video for 20 years.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

DocLotus

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2004, 08:34:12 pm »

I was thinking the very same thing about the female vocalist as I was watching it.  She is very good (and pretty too).

Shelly

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 09:04:06 pm »

It worked for me on RealPlayer. It was absolutely wonderful. Thank you, Shelly. If you know of any other videos of that quality, let me know.

Reminds me of a story:
Back in the 80's, when cable TV was young, I couldn't wait for MTV to come along (remember "I want my MTV"?) so I could see music videos. I thought that that meant seeing the artists perform as in that stream above. Silly me. I was incredibly disappointed in what an actual music video was. Seemed cheap, insincere and dishonest. I still think so.
I guess you could say that I've been looking for that Pat Metheny video for 20 years.

CVIII

CVIII, you might want to check out Metheny's DVD's especially "Secret Story," which is one of my favorites.  It captures the honesty and intensity of his playing, just as the NSJF video did.  Agree completely on MTV and VH1 isn't any better.  The only cable network that I've found some good jazz concerts on is BET and occasionally BRAVO.

Shelly

Listening to: 'How Insensitive' from 'Carnegie Hall Salutes the Jazz Masters' by 'Antonio Carlos Jobim / Pat Metheny' on Media Center 10

Shelly

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 09:07:17 pm »

I was thinking the very same thing about the female vocalist as I was watching it.  She is very good (and pretty too).

LOL - yes, she is very pretty.

I think I'll post a message in the PMG group to see if anyone knows who she is.

DocLotus

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2004, 09:18:35 pm »

As many musicians have, Metheny has gone through several phases from soft & beautiful to load & obnoxious.

Where does Secret Story fall ?

Now that is an interesting combination... Antonio Carlos Jobim & Pat Metheny; I love them both.  In the "Carnegie Hall Salutes the Jazz Masters" was it Jobim & Metheny doing the playing or were they some of the ones being saluted ?

Shelly

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2004, 09:57:58 pm »

He seems to have come full circle, back to soft and beautiful.  His most recent CD, "One Quiet Night," won the 2004 Grammy award for best new age album (vocal or instrumental.)  I never thought I'd see him in the newage category and don't really believe he belongs there.  

"Secret Story" represents some of Metheny's most beautiful & sincere music.   It's a joy to watch and listen to.  The tracks are:
1. Above The Treetops
2. Facing West
3. Rain River
4. How Insensitive
5. Finding And Believing
6. Always And Forever
7. See The World
8. Antonia
9. The Truth Will Always Be
10. Tell Her You Saw Me

The "How Insensitive" track of "Carnegie Hall Salutes the Jazz Masters" is the primary reason that I purchased the CD.  The artists are Jobim and Metheny.  From the notes:  "Though, it's no secret that Pat Metheny's diverse interests and accomplishments include a deep involvement with Brazilian music, this piece holds a special place in his heart.  He remarked that this was "one of my all-time favorite songs."  This was the first time that Jobim and Metheny had ever recorded or performed together."  Jobim died several months after this performance.

DocLotus

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2004, 10:26:10 pm »

Jobim was in New York City in late 94 or early 95 to make a recording with Joe Henderson.  Before they could start the recording, Jobim died. Henderson decided to continue with the album which ended up being a tribute to Jobim.  It is called "Double Rainbow".  It is a wonderful album.

DocLotus

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2004, 10:30:16 pm »

Thanks for the info on the albums, Shelly.  Think I will buy all three of them. 8)

Shelly

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2004, 10:45:20 pm »

I have "Double Rainbow" and love it.  I believe it also won a Grammy.    I adore Jobim and have a large collection of his cd's and music.  One of my favorite Jobim cd's is "Antonio Carlos Jobim and Friends."  This was recorded in the fall of '93, a little more than a year before his death.  It was his last Brazilian concert.  Joe Henderson is one of the artists, which also includes Herbie Hancock, Shirley Horn, Gal Costa, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, and Jon Hendricks.   My other favorite Jobim recording is "Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim." I never tire of listening to it.  

DocLotus

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 12:28:24 pm »

Love Sinatra, too 8)

Did not know they both made a recording together, must be wonderful :D

I'm adding it to my buy list also.

Thanks for the input.

modelmaker

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 05:19:17 pm »

Metheny's "Imaginary Day" with Lyle is also quite good, (DVD and CD).
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

DocLotus

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 05:33:17 pm »

Yes, Lyle Mays is a wonderful piano player.  I have him on some of the earlier Metheny albums such "Pat Metheny Group" from 1978.

zevele10

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 06:39:34 pm »

well ,i use RealPlayer 10 for all my moving pictures.

You can make a custom install  and in settings you can avoid all the calling home stuff
It works fine , plays VCD and apply DSP to videos.
And not calling home more than some...

If not for RealPlayer i would not had rip around 30% of my cds- I HATE to type.

Shelly

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2004, 08:48:01 pm »

I just got a response from the PMG message list on the name of the female singer.  It's Fay Lovsky, a Dutch singer-songwriter.  She has several albums listed on Amazon.  

I doubt you'll be disappointed in the Sinatra-Jobim CD, Doc.  They actually recorded 2 albums.  The second one is called "Sinatra and Company" but it's not nearly as good as the first one.  We have a DVD called "Sinatra: A Man and His Music + Ella + Jobim," which includes several segments from his TV series.  The one with Jobim features 3 of the tracks from the first album.  Jobim plays his guitar and Sinatra sings.  It's really wonderful.

I fully concur on Imaginary Day and Lyle Mays.  Lyle is an exceptional pianist.  We've seen him several times in concert with Metheny.  I love watching his hands on the piano.  His fingers are really long, much more so than would be expected for a man of his size.  He did a really nice show with Marian McPartland on her Piano Jazz radio show in '97.  In 2000, "Improvisations for Expanded Piano" was released which showcases his talents nicely.  

DocLotus

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2004, 09:13:52 am »

Thanks again for the great info, Shelly ;D

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2004, 12:08:59 pm »

Hi,

Thanks for the link Shelly, I really enjoyed it  !

:D

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

GRAYDOG

• World Citizen
  • Weimaraners Rule
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2004, 02:22:07 pm »

Shelly, I still can't get it to play . I don't let real player talk to the internet so maybe that has somthing to do with it ?  Owell thanks anyway :)

Shelly

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2004, 07:01:39 pm »

You're welcome, all!

Graydog,  I downloaded the file to my hard drive.  According to RealPlayer, there are no restrictions on the clip.  If you'd like me to email it to you, just pm me.  You'll have to use RealPlayer to play the file, but you don't have to be connected to the Internet.

Here's where I need help.  I can use MC to play the streaming video.  However, MC will not play the clip saved locally.  As, stated above, I can only play it using RealPlayer.  I don't understand this.  

Shelly

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2004, 12:15:51 am »

The Pat Metheny Group will be on Austin City Limits on PBS, May 29th.  I think this is a repeat of a show broadcast in Jan of 2003 and includes Lyle Mays.

DocLotus

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2004, 07:59:35 am »

LOVE Austin City Limits 8)

Have already made a note to watch it ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up