INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Playlists on Ihp using MC 10  (Read 7466 times)

tombo77

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Creating Playlists on Ihp using MC 10
« on: May 09, 2004, 01:26:58 pm »

Why is it when I create playlists using MC10 the Sw wants to transfer the files already on the player? I create the playlists using the media files from the player in the first place. When I export the playlists to the Player they will show up as a "playlist error" unless or untill I open Winamp and open and resave the Playlists from there.

I love the software but Im not sure I understand the way it should be used. It seems playlists should be created before transfering the files as they will be transferred upon playlist creation.

If I did allow the transfer process to continue will I then have duplicate files in seperate directories on the player?

Also the 120 shows up in explorer without the iHP-120 volume label in RAW format sometimes.

iRiver 120 (sold Ipod 10G)
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Creating Playlists on Ihp using MC 10
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 05:50:15 pm »

tombo77,

We do not have a iHP-120 here, but your post implies that it shows up as a removable drive to your PC. If so, I presume you are connecting to it with MC with the checkbox for 'Enable WMDM support' (found in Tools->Options->Devices) deselected. Correct?

In regards to playlists, are you reimporting tracks transfered to the player back into MC and then creating playlists?

How does the 120 handle playlists, are they .m3u files?

Steve

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 10:53:26 pm »

I rebooted and it shows up as it should with the proper volume label.

I use the media library to import the music from the DAP. then I create the playlists using MC. As I do this the box opens up to transfer the FILESs from the created PL back to the DAP. Im not sure of whats going on htere as the files originated there from which the palylist was created. Will the files be transferd to themselves or be put in the root directory? I did not chance that so I instead export the playlist only to the DAP as an M3U.

The DAP can not read that  particular m3u file until I then open winamp and open the playlist on the DAP and then save it back to the DAP usin winamp. Thats all I need Winamp to do. Open the MC playlist file and resave it back where the Ihp-120 can now read the list. Its an extra step I have to take and another program I have to use.

Maybe if I allowed MC to do the transfer of files included in the playlists that would make the difference IF it did not cause duplicate files to be written to the DAP in another directory.......

Im not sure of the way MC creates and writes playlists as m3u's But it does something to the file only Winamp can correct.
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 09:29:41 am »

tombo,

I am working on getting the players and specifications from iRiver so that I can give you advice on how to get this to work. When winamp writes the file back to the iRiver, where does it put the file? When you exported the m3u with MC, where did you send the file?

Steve

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 10:05:56 am »

SteveG,

I thought that you already had a solution for the playlist problem. ;D
The same problem here with the iHP-140.

Tombo77, can you find out if it's possible to make the change that winamp does to the m3u file manually. If so I can use the feature whith some editing.

The one thing I found out making playlists is that you have to make them on the player itself. Otherwise the path (driveletter) to the songs is wrong.

Don't want to install winamp for this correction. That's what I have MC for.  ;)

MarSies .....

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 10:46:11 am »

I Export the file from MC to the Root Dir of te Iriver

I open the file there from Winamp

I save the file back there from Winamp writing over the MC10 saved file and all works fine.

Its really a simple process and not much of a bother but it would be nice if MC can figure out what the proper coding for m3u is for the Iriver as Winamp obviously knows.

I do not know what Winamp is doing to the m3u that MC10 apparantly cannot so the Iriver can read that file.

The playlists are created from the DAP foldered music using MC 10
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 04:54:39 pm »

We will have to get the player and sort this out. Since the location is the same for the m3u ( Root directory on iHP), the player should be able to find the file. It appears there is a difference in what is written to the file.

Steve

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 08:37:35 pm »

Yep. The player finds the file BUT it shows "playlist error" unless the file is 'converted" by Winamp.  

MC is writing something Iriver does not recognized but Winamp does. I thoght an m3u was an m3u no matter where written. but that is not the case where MC is concerned.
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 10:46:51 am »

We will either get the specificiations from iRiver or try to sort it out manually. I can't say for sure when. Sorry.

Steve

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 09:58:13 pm »

NO worries. MC is a good product and the export and import of Winamp is not a huge issue.

A plug in would be a welcome site though!!!
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

molex

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 05:53:34 pm »

The playlists in MC10 adds the drive letter to the file location (The IHPs don't reconise drive letters). If you open the playlist in notepad and remove the dirve letter then you can use the playlist if you store it at the root level.

SteveG

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 09:40:42 am »

molex,

Thanks for the tip. Can others please test exporting playlists to iRiver with manually removing the drive letter and confirm that this works? We don't have a player here to test.

Thanks,

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2004, 11:40:06 am »

these are the contents of a playlist created by Media Center (m3u)
Code: [Select]
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Cochise.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Show Me How To Live.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Gasoline.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - What You Are.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Like A Stone.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Set It Off.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - I Am The Highway.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Exploder.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Hypnotize.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Bring Em Back Alive.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Light My Way.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Getaway Car.mp3
C:\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light.mp3

the corresponding playlist from winamp is as follows:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:222,Audioslave - Cochise
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Cochise.mp3
#EXTINF:277,Audioslave - Show Me How To Live
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Show Me How To Live.mp3
#EXTINF:279,Audioslave - Gasoline
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Gasoline.mp3
#EXTINF:249,Audioslave - What You Are
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - What You Are.mp3
#EXTINF:294,Audioslave - Like A Stone
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Like A Stone.mp3
#EXTINF:263,Audioslave - Set It Off
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Set It Off.mp3
#EXTINF:343,Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun.mp3
#EXTINF:334,Audioslave - I Am The Highway
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - I Am The Highway.mp3
#EXTINF:206,Audioslave - Exploder
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Exploder.mp3
#EXTINF:206,Audioslave - Hypnotize
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Hypnotize.mp3
#EXTINF:329,Audioslave - Bring Em Back Alive
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Bring Em Back Alive.mp3
#EXTINF:303,Audioslave - Light My Way
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Light My Way.mp3
#EXTINF:299,Audioslave - Getaway Car
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Getaway Car.mp3
#EXTINF:317,Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light
\Documents and Settings\Phil\My Documents\My Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light.mp3

as far as i can tell, #EXTINF:Num  is the number of seconds the song lasts, and isn't key to the file working on the iriver.

i'm not too sure why the fact that \Documents and settings\blablabla don't matter. It's possible that the iriver checks with the database (iRivNavi.iDB) and figures it out for itself. in any case, what molex says correlates to my testing
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2004, 03:09:08 pm »

ph_bradley,

Thanks for the post. Can you open the MC m3u in an editor and remove all the 'C:' and see if the iRiver plays the playlist properly?

Thanks,

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2004, 03:39:49 pm »

simply deleting the C: or C:/ does nothing to help

i only have one file that worked, the following:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Cochise.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Cochise.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Show Me How To Live.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Show Me How To Live.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Gasoline.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Gasoline.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - What You Are.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - What You Are.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Like A Stone.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Like A Stone.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Set It Off.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Set It Off.mp3
#EXTINF:343,Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - I Am The Highway.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - I Am The Highway.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Exploder.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Exploder.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Hypnotize.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Hypnotize.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Bring Em Back Alive.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Bring Em Back Alive.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Light My Way.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Light My Way.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - Getaway Car.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Getaway Car.mp3
#EXTINF:0,Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light.m

The directory structure exactly matches the layout of the folders on the iriver, so it seems in my previous post i was wrong, and that having /documents and settings/phil in there really does cause problems.

the #Extinf lines can be deleted with the m3u file function as normal, as long as the other stuff matches the location of the file on the iriver (not the PC)

perhaps the Export to m3u function can simply be modified to leave out the (Drive Letter):/Documents and settings/(User)/?

or an iriver plugin could determine where it is uploading to...
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2004, 04:11:07 pm »

ph_bradley,

From your description it seems like it would work to import the files from your iRiver into MC and then create the m3u from the imported files from within MC. After this see if it works. If not, open your m3u and remove the drive letter and then it should work. Sorry for so many steps. This will improve.

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2004, 04:47:51 pm »

directly exporting this new playlist didn't work.
as you suggested, the drive letter is interfering. these playlists need the exact path to the files, relative to the playlist.
for reference, this was the playlist that worked. add any C:/ or anything else at the start of the line and it fails.

\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Cochise.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Show Me How To Live.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Gasoline.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - What You Are.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Like A Stone.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Set It Off.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Shadow On The Sun.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - I Am The Highway.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Exploder.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Hypnotize.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Bring Em Back Alive.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Light My Way.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - Getaway Car.mp3
\Music\Audioslave\Audioslave\Audioslave - The Last Remaining Light.mp3
Welcome to flipmode

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 11:25:20 pm »

Seems a lot easier just to use Winamp to "rewrite" the files

Export the MC playlistd to the Iriver. Then open winamp and open the playlists from winamp and resave them back to the iRiver and its done!

Just an extra step but it works great when the PL are created in MC.
ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2004, 02:12:28 am »

steve, any updates?
Welcome to flipmode

SteveG

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2004, 08:57:17 am »

ph_bradley,

Just to clarify, are you saying it did not work to import the files from the player into MC and then create the m3u and then edit off the drive letter?

Steve

ph_bradley

• World Citizen
  • Shagadelic Baby!!
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2004, 05:13:13 pm »

the ONLY thing the playlist need to be able to work is a path relative to the actual playlist once it is on the iriver. there is no need for drive letters (which i believe the iriver doesn't recognise as referring to itself)
Welcome to flipmode

mishka212

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2004, 09:53:04 am »

This is probably a related problem (or just caused by my ignorance about how to use the software):  Media Center doesn't seem to recognize the files in a playlist (originally saved to the IHP in Winamp) imported from my IHP 120.  In other words, let's say I have a playlist on my IHP named Driving Music that has 100 songs in it.  I import that playlist to Media Center.  The name of the playlist, Driving Music, shows up under playlists in Media Center. Then I select, "Build Playlist," then  "Edit Existing Playlist". I then select "Driving Music".  Media Center creates an active window titled Driving Music, but there are no songs in the window.  It's as if I'm creating the playlist from scratch, rather than editing a pre-existing playlist.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just an incompatibility between Media Center and the IHP 120?  

tombo77

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2004, 12:44:05 pm »

If you don't have the songs in the media library  from the IHp that will happen.

ETY 4P/S
Sony TR2 w/Indigo I/O
Dell 8600
Sony MD and CD Players

mishka212

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2004, 02:56:11 pm »

Ok, thanks, now it works.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up