INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File naming on transfer to handheld  (Read 2617 times)

pcorreia

File naming on transfer to handheld
« on: May 09, 2004, 04:14:04 pm »

When transferring files to a portable MP3 player, is there a way to automatically rename files?  I'm evaluating MC10 (I'm a registered user of MC9 trying to decide whether or not to upgrade yet), and I seem to remember being able to do this (using the standard file info tags to specify a file name "formula") in MC9.

I have a pretty basic MP3 player, and it seems to play the MP3s in alphabetical order by file name, so I'm trying to find a way to prepend the file names with the sequence number so they play in the order I've set up.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:File naming on transfer to handheld
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 04:22:20 pm »

There are some options for this.  Can you see if you can find them?  Someone else may know where they are.

I'll move this to the hardware board.

SteveG

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 05:44:12 pm »

pcorreia,

What portable do you have? If it is detected by your PC as a removable or fixed drive, you can have MC automatically create subdirectories on your Portable based on tag information. You will find these options if you right click on your Portable device letter. There is not a way to prepend the filenames at this time. If you give more info about your player, I may be able to make other suggestions.

Steve

pcorreia

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 09:01:05 am »

I have an Ultra MP3 player.  It has a very simple display (no file info, just sequence number and playing time, and the sequence is alphabetical by file name).  I'm trying to get them to play in the same order as my playlist so folders wouldn't really help.

Am I just crazy, or was there a way to do this in MC9?  I have a license for MC9 and I'm trying to decide whether to buy the upgrade to MC10... if I can't do it in 10, I'll just downgrade to MC9 again.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 04:15:47 pm »

pcorreia,

This was never a feature. Sorry.  There was a feature to use either 'Filename' or 'Name' for the 'Name' field on the player. This may have worked for you if your Filename in MC had a pattern which adhered to the alphabetic requirement of your player.

You can control the order in which the files transfer to the player which makes a difference for many players, but what you are after would need to be implemented.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up