INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple ratings  (Read 2835 times)

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Multiple ratings
« on: May 10, 2004, 12:21:04 pm »

I'd like to give my party guests the ability to rate the songs they listen to. I have a neat little webpad that floats around the party and people can currently add to the running playlist. I would love to be able to allow people to add a rating to the files. Somehow, I would like to get some stats on these ratings and product a new rating (like an average rating) that can be used to help me create new playlists for parties.

I thought this would make a really cool little plug-in. Any ideas?

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Multiple ratings
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 02:21:52 pm »

Well I just went to the options and looked at how the Rating field is setuped. From the way it looked, you could easily create a new field called Rating 2 or whatever you feel like with the same properties/ behaviors as the current rating one.

Hope this helps,

-Cascius

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:42:15 am »

Yeah, I saw that but it doesn't really suit what I need. I need a way for people to rate songs n number of times and then have a way to view an average rating, possibly as a new field. Looks like I am going to have to get my hands dirty and code it myself!

Thanks anyway.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 11:28:12 am »

i think it will need to be a new field, and save the info there for all users.

U01=1U02=5

grab therating, and then average all save average in the rating field.

i just don't know how you would do this using a webpad (i dont have one)

but i think the plugin would need to be visible.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 01:27:59 pm »

i think it will need to be a new field, and save the info there for all users.

U01=1U02=5

grab therating, and then average all save average in the rating field.

i just don't know how you would do this using a webpad (i dont have one)

but i think the plugin would need to be visible.

I've got a program that I wrote that lets me interface with the MC library so I would simply write a little GUI around that.  The way you've described it is pretty much how I was going to do it. There are some limitations:

1.  When the field hits the maximum number of characters it will hold I will not be able to store new ratings.
2.  I have no real way to store the average (in another field) in real time.

I think I am going to investigate writing this functionality. Does anyone have any feedback for what you might want to see?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 06:39:29 am »

I would like to request the ability to average the track ratings to an album score (custom field). That is for tracks rated by one person to a custom field called AlbumScore.

Any thoughts ?

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 08:44:42 am »

I would like to request the ability to average the track ratings to an album score (custom field). That is for tracks rated by one person to a custom field called AlbumScore.

Any thoughts ?

So if there are 16 tracks in an album, you want a field that contains the average rating of those 16 tracks?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 11:59:54 am »

So if there are 16 tracks in an album, you want a field that contains the average rating of those 16 tracks?

Correct !!  average rating upto two decimal places.

I envision running this now & then to get a score that i can use to view top 10s by genre/artist/series/year etc  u get the idea. Also when albums fall below 2.5 (my cut-off), i can either delete them or just keep the good tracks.

All this can be done if there is a album score to sort/view by. Its preferable that this score be computed rather than manually, as preferences for tracks can change over time, as tired tracks get rated down and underestimated tracks get rated up.

Giving a more dynamic view at any one time and an easy way to judge how good an album is compared to others.

The multiple ratings system is intriging. I suppose u would have to agree what each level means. I rarely give 5 stars to tracks unless they are exceptional IMO. 4 stars is for good, 3 for ok, not bad, and 2 for dont like, rarely do i use 1 star. i find myself sometimes wishing i could assign 3.5 instead of 3 or 4, but that does not happen to often to make me reconsider the way i rate stuff.

Thanks for considering

jplumey

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:58:05 pm »

I downloaded the SDK tonight and started playing with it a little. I'll keep you posted. I'll have some more questions for you soon. Thanks for the info!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2004, 09:33:37 am »

I'll have some more questions for you soon.

I'm listening ....

(cliched i know)
Pages: [1]   Go Up