INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 10: If your player doesn't work, try MC's WMDM support  (Read 9339 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
MC 10: If your player doesn't work, try MC's WMDM support
« on: May 14, 2004, 10:25:03 am »

MC supports players that are compliant with WMDM (Windows Media Device Manager).  The WMDM SDK lets developers create components that can interact with portable audio players, transferring audio files and manipulating how files are stored on the player.

JRiver Media Center 10 users can enable this option by going to Tools->Options->Devices and checking the box for 'Enable support for WMDM devices'.  Once this is selected, WMDM compatible devices will automatically be detected by MC and will appear under 'Drives & Devices' in the MC tree.

WMDM support is not compatible with the iPod and it does not support management of playlists.  If you wish to use these features you must have WMDM support unchecked.

WMDM also allows certain secure WM files to be transferred to the player.

akmed

• Recent member
  • It's better to burn out, than to fade away....
Re:IF YOUR PLAYER DOESN'T WORK -- Try our WMDM support
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 01:54:13 pm »

FYI, that totally fixed my problems with a Creative Nomad II under WinXP-home edition.  Regular plug-in support stopped working under MC9, but now I can transfer files just fine.

--Kurt

SteveG

Re:IF YOUR PLAYER DOESN'T WORK -- Try our WMDM support
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 03:37:46 pm »

Kurt,

Thanks for the update.

Steve

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re:MC 10: IF YOUR PLAYER DOESN'T WORK -- Try our WMDM support
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 09:34:29 am »

This doesn't seem to work for the Rio Karma.  Any support for that unit planned?  

I don't know how the Karma really stores songs, it's not like the drive letter folder model.  But managing the playlists on it is the key by being able to create and easily reorder songs in karma playlists.  I looks like Rio is moving to the drive letter model with intoduction of the 5GB Carbon player.

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 03:21:56 pm »

rick,

MC can support any device which:

1) Is WMDM compatible.

or

2) Appears to your PC as a mass storage device.

or

3) Makes an SDK available which supports a DRM solution.

We do not have a Karma. From what Karma users have posted, I think Karma is WMDM compatible, but does not appear to your PC as a drive. If this is true, MC should be able to transfer files to the Karma but will not have support for playlists at this time. If any device appears to your PC as a drive and supports m3u playlists, MC supports playlists for that device in version 11.

Steve

rickeyjt

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:18:04 am »

From what Karma users have posted, I think Karma is WMDM compatible, but does not appear to your PC as a drive. If this is true, MC should be able to transfer files to the Karma but will not have support for playlists at this time.

Karma does not show up on my system in MC11.  From what I've seen posted it doesn't look like much support for the Karma.  I'm willing to forget about it unless you want me to help you get it going.  I am making it work with Rio's crummy software and the so-so Riorad thing from Redchair.  The Karma will eventually be replaced by the Chroma a drive type player I'm sure.  Rio players have the best player functionality in my opinion.  I own the IHP140 because it is a great little wav/mp3 recording device and the Carbon is tiny and better suited to use while very active.

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 09:50:22 am »

rick,

If you could, please run Windows Media Player and confirm that it does not see the Karma either. If it does not, we can conclude that Karma is not WMDM compatible and from your earlier statement, we know it does not appear to your PC as a drive. The only other way to gain access with MC would be to get an SDK from Rio, which they are unwilling (unable?) to distribute.

Thanks,

Steve

kineticarl

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re: MC 10: IF YOUR PLAYER DOESN'T WORK -- Try our WMDM support
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 02:19:26 pm »

Is WMDM the same as MTP?

I have a zen micro with firmware upgraded to take advantage of MTP (PlaysForSure & no drivers).

MC11.0.178 detects the zen and then asks me if I want to use it as a music player, then tells me it can't initialize the device.  Then I hit okay and it lists all the directories on the device.  As of now it won't display the tracks within those directories.  When I try to send music to it, it makes 2 copies of each track in the root/media directory.  But the Zen can't read it until it's in root/media/music.  Windows media player puts it in root/media/music/artist/album, and those tracks play fine.  That might be the only redeeming quality of WMP.  Doesn't mean I want to use it though.

Thanks!

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2005, 02:01:09 pm »

kineticarl,

WMDM and MTP are not the same thing.

MC 11 is designed to interact with Zen devices via a plugin which is automatically installed when the Zen is detected. To verify that this is installed, please go to Tools-> Plugin Manager->Handheld and see if 'Nomad Jukebox' is listed. If it is, see if it is version 11.0.10.  If MC gives you the 'initialization' error, the drivers/firmware you have on your micro may not be compatible with the plugin.

Steve

britade

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 03:01:50 am »

kineticarl,

I've had to downgrade the firmware to the older PDE version to get it to work properly with the Zen Micro.  However, even after doing this, I found the transfers to be very slow and have had to resort to using Red Chair Software's NOTMAD to download my music onto the Zen.

I'm hoping that the Zen support in MC11 will improve (e.g. faster transfers and support for the MTP transfers) to the point where I can ditch Notmad (even though I've had to pay $25 for it).

Regards,

Adrian.

SteveG

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 12:30:22 pm »

Adrian,

MTP will come. In regards to slowness, can you compare a set of files with both and post results?

Steve

JetBlack

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2005, 06:38:16 pm »

DOes MC work with Archos AV480's? Do I need version 10 or 11?

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 11:41:11 am »

Does WMP detect this device?

Does it appear to your PC as a fixed or removable drive?

Steve

blueman71

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2005, 08:51:29 pm »

Thank  you for the tip. My Rio 800 wasn't working at first but after enabling WMDM support and restarting the program it worked.

Blueman71

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2005, 11:35:07 am »

blueman71,

Thanks for the update.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up