INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does time indicator skip before song end?  (Read 1687 times)

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Why does time indicator skip before song end?
« on: May 16, 2004, 01:08:29 am »

? Why does the elapsed time readout of songs (and the sliding bar) skip ahead to the next song within the last 10 seconds of each song? While the current song is finishing the time of the new song is ?. I'd like the time indicator to indicate existential-now time, not some cached/buffered alternate/future time. If it's a matter of playback settings, can you tell me how to fix? I've got playback set to gapless and 1.45 seconds of buffering (less than the time skip I'm seeing).

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Why does time indicator skip before song end?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 01:21:03 am »

There was a post regarding this a while back.  It involved a manual registry change.  I don't have a link to the thread handy anymore, but you can find it if you search.

Sauzee

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 03:00:36 am »

? Why does the elapsed time readout of songs (and the sliding bar) skip ahead to the next song within the last 10 seconds of each song? While the current song is finishing the time of the new song is ?. I'd like the time indicator to indicate existential-now time, not some cached/buffered alternate/future time. If it's a matter of playback settings, can you tell me how to fix? I've got playback set to gapless and 1.45 seconds of buffering (less than the time skip I'm seeing).

Yup, It's really annoying - the way it works at the moment.  

Makes rating songs a nightmare .

Given that the best time to rate a song is once you've listened to it all the way through - I go to rate the song and MC skips to displaying the next one - so I rate that song by mistake.

Please change this. It is my biggest problem with MC by far (I'm not alone on this)

Curtis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 05:05:40 pm »

>:(  Okay, I found the thread from last month but it's not very satisfying. The registry hack does indeed help, but at the cost of compromising the buffer. I've got the reg setting in question set to a very low 500 (decimal) and I've got buffering (inside the DirectSound settings dialog box) set to a very low 1 second. With that the time works up to 2 seconds before the end of the song. I haven't heard any skipping/drop-outs yet, but I probably will run into that with these settings.

I've been with MC since 7.0 and I love this program. a) I find it lame to ask a user "Is this [inaccuracy] of the elapsed time a 'problem' for you? --The thing is not working correctly, it's a bug, it's not a feature. Elapsed time should measure elapsed time, if it doesn't, it's broke.  b) It would require extra programming to fix  

WMP buffers its music AND tracks time of the song up the next-to-last second at which point it changes to 0:00 of the next song (which equals the last second of the current song with no gap is in place).

rungabic

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 07:03:02 pm »

I agree wholeheartedly.  With a new build continuing to come out daily, I'm really hoping this problem gets some much-needed attention.  I noticed this immediately upon trying MC for the first time -- in my opinion, it's absolutely crying out to be fixed.

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 09:51:04 pm »

I'm rather anal about things so this is a constant annoyance.

I know of no reason this shouldn't work properly. As others have said, time is accurate in other players I have used.

Come on guys, fix it.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 09:21:18 am »

I kinda hate to jump on the bandwagon here, since it sounds like everyone is gathering their nooses to head to Minneapolis (Should I drive, I know the way?) ;), but I have to agree; this does need to be remedied, please. :-\
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 09:25:12 am »

We've talked about it and agree it could be improved, but we've got a very stable program right now and we don't think it's worth risking that to make this change.  It isn't a trivial change and it would probably create bugs.

We've got some important deadlines to meet with this version, so we can't open up anything that is at all complex.

In a few weeks we should be in a different position.
Pages: [1]   Go Up