INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audiobook (M4B) files crash MC  (Read 2322 times)

jgullion

• Recent member
  • Still Wacko after all these years
Audiobook (M4B) files crash MC
« on: May 18, 2004, 02:56:01 pm »

I recently downloaded an audiobook from iTunes - in four M4B files.  Initially they imported in MC as video files.  When I tried to run one (or any) in MC, MC crashed with an application error (788) saying the instruction referenced memory that could not be read.  In checking interact, I saw that the importing as video had been fixed, so I upgraded to 10.138, deleted the files from the library and reimported them.  I still get the same error.  I have other iTunes music files that work fine, just the four parts of this audiobook bring down MC.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PS - Love MC 10!!

Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)
Intel Unknown 1597 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 256 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.81 / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.6144 / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Audiobook (M4B) files crash MC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 01:50:26 pm »

Can you post a link to the file and I will test it here and see if I can duplicate what you report?

Steve

jgullion

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 12:13:21 am »

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  Sorry this is so long, but I was out of town for a while.

I guess I can post it up to Yahoo or something, but  you won't be able to access it without my iTunes password - I don't think.

Also, more information:
I would get the error mentioned when trying to play the files in MC, but I could move them to my iPod via MC sync.  But when I tried to play them on the iPod, it would cycle through the files like it could not read them and then stop.  I was able to play the files in iTunes and move them to the iPod by copying them in iTunes.  They then played fine on the iPod.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 09:35:52 am »

jgullion,

Do you have Audible Manager installed? If so, can you play the files in Audible Manager? In regards to the files, just point me to a link for where I can purchase the files and I will get them and test them.

Thanks,

Steve

jgullion

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 10:23:46 am »

Steve,

I do not have the Audible Manager installed.  I bought the files though the iTunes service (i.e., with the iTunes client) and so never went to audible.com and never downloaded their software.

This is the link to the audiobook.  When it downloads, it comes in 4 m4b files.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=2801630&selectedItemId=2801630

One additional note, after reinitializing my iPod and then syncing all files, these four files play on my iPod without using iTunes to transfer them.  However, MC still crashes when I play them through MC.  And I upgraded to 10.145 with no change.

Thanks

Jason

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 12:52:23 pm »

Jason,

Do you have QuickTime installed? If not could you install it and try to play the file with it?

....four files play on my iPod without using iTunes to transfer them.

This is to be expected. All protected AAC content should play on iPod without using iTunes now until you completely format your iPod at which point you would need to transfer one protected file one time with iTunes.

Steve

jgullion

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 02:30:58 pm »

Steve,

I do have QuickTime 6.5.1.  I tried opening the file through Quicktime and got the same error.  Hmmm...a quicktime problem?

I had already autorized AAC music files to play on the iPod as you mentioned.  But I guess I had to do the same again for the audiobook protected files.

Thanks

Jason

SteveG

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 09:04:38 am »

Jason,

Try shortening the filename for the file you are trying to play to something under 50 characters. Quicktime has a limitation regarding this which could account for us both failing.

Steve

jgullion

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 10:43:28 am »

Steve,

I renamed the file and moved it to C:\temp so that it was not in a complicated directory structure.  It still crashes both MC and QT.  However, I can play that same renamed file in iTunes.

Thanks

Jason

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 05:14:34 pm »

Not sure about the problem. Can you contact Quicktime and see if they have an answer? If they don't play it, neither can we.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 03:32:31 am »

Can you contact Quicktime and see if they have an answer?

My experience is that there is no such thing as "contacting Quicktime."  I tried once before and was told by Apple that outside of the user forums, there is litterally NO support for the Windows version of Quicktime.  I can't say if that is still the case, but it was a little while back.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up