INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protecting files/folders on handheld  (Read 2667 times)

dietric

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Protecting files/folders on handheld
« on: May 20, 2004, 09:35:27 am »

How can I protect files/folders on my handheld device from being deleted by MediaCenter during Synchronize if I selected "Delte Unselected from HH"?

This might sound contradictory, but I do have files (custom firmware) that need to stay there...

I tried to sedt a root folder for the audio files to be synchronized, bit it seems like MediaCenter also wants to delete files that are not in the root folder...

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Protecting files/folders on handheld
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 03:57:20 pm »

dietric,

If you have a relatively recent version of MC and your player is detected as a generic removable or fixed drive, this should work. If you have files in a root folder (i.e. 'Music') and you have MC set synchronize files to the root folder, and you have "Delete Unselected from HH" checked and you have files in locations other than the root folder, the files not in the root folder should not be deleted. If you see behavior other than this, please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

dietric

• Recent member
Synching w multiple PCs (was Re:Protecting files/folders on handheld)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »

That worked as descrined, thanks a lot.
Now to my next problem:

I have Media Center running on two PC's: One that contains my whole collection (40+GB), another one that only has a couple of GB's of space for MP's (where I pretend to work).

I successfully synched a number of files to my JukeBox and now I want to run a synch on the "small" PC to get so many files over (everything rater 4 0r 5).

It seems like only files that are present on the PC are synched, is that correct? And if so, is there a way how I can achieve the desired behaviour?

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 01:56:16 pm »

dietric,

Only files that are in the library can be synched to the player.  If you want tunes rated 4 or 5 from the 'small pc' to go to the player and you don't want to lose what is there, create a smartlist in MC on the small pc for tunes rated 4 or 5 and then sync it with 'Delete unselected files' unchecked. The new tunes will go to the player and what is there will be preserved. Alternately you could create the smartlist and drag and drop the files onto the player.

Steve

dietric

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 02:31:10 pm »

I guess I wasn't clear about what I want to do. I know how to synch files TO the hand held and preserve what's on there already - I want to get files FROM the hand held to the pc based on a criteria (rated 4 0r 5)...

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 03:51:49 pm »

I will check this out further on Monday.

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 04:47:07 pm »

dietric,

This was never implemented for generic portable devices for security reasons that no longer seem to make sense. I will add this shortly.

Steve

dietric

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 07:48:39 am »

Great, thanks a lot... Let me know if you need a tester...

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 12:39:26 pm »

dietric,

This will be in the next build of MC. Right click on the files in the Portable view and choose 'Download to PC'.

Thanks,

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up