INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MPC: no sound  (Read 1793 times)

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
MPC: no sound
« on: May 22, 2004, 10:58:38 am »

Hi,

I know that mpc is supported, but I cannot play them. Maybe something in my DSP chain? The bitrate column is empty, and when I play the file, there is a progress bar but no sound.

Any ideas?

Cmagic

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Enjoying life with a little music....
Re:MPC: no sound
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 01:02:56 pm »

Hi,

This sounds strange. I am playing mpc files all the time with MC 10. Note that if you can't see the bitrate it might be that the mpc plugin is not properly installed.

- In Tools/plugin manager/input check that the mpc plugin (v2.0.17) is present. Normally it should be here as mpc input plugin is now installed by default.
- Can you play your mpc files using another player (winamp or foobar) ?

maybe someone will have more clues,

keep us informed.

C.

Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 02:50:10 pm »

yes, I can play them with JetAudio but not with winamp, because it doesn't have the plugin.

the mpc plugin that I have installed in MC is 2.0.17, the one that comes by default.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 04:30:00 pm »

It can be a tag issue. Look at the File Type Info in MC. Are there ID3 tags? They should APE tags. Foobar can play MPC files with ID3 tags, but they are not standard. You can use Foobar to remove ID3 tags from an MPC file.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

urlwolf

• World Citizen
  • building gomotron!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 05:09:40 pm »

Yes, there are ID3 tags. Is there any way to convert them to APE tags?
I have no idea about how to use all the advanced features in foobar...

Thanks!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 05:49:22 pm »

I am not sure if can you convert tags in Foobar. You can right click the file and go to "properties...". There you can remove tag lines (only one line at the time, so it's slow).

First import files to MC. It reads ID3 tags to the Library. Then go to Foobar and remove the tags. After that in MC do first "Update Library (from tags)" and then "Update Tags (from library)". You get APE tags.

You may find more help from here:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?showforum=11&
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Wintings

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2004, 12:46:51 pm »

I have exactly the same problem as described by urlwolf.

Why can't MC be made to play mpc files however they are tagged? Why should I have to get foobar (whatever that is!) in order to doctor the non-playing mpc files?
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2004, 01:08:39 pm »

I suppose that it is because ID3 tags are not standard in MPC. They are in a way "illegal". MC don't do them. So it is some other software, which is not working/configured properly.

Sometimes MPC with ID3 tags can be played in MC. There can also be something else wrong with the files/headers in the files.

Re-rip with MC / contact the source of your files. Or try to remove the tags if it helps.

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 03:01:42 am »

Thanks. I don't seem to be able to remove the tags. Oh well, not to worry. I'll dump the mpc version and find a version ripped in a more standard format.
There 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary notation and those who don't

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 02:23:06 pm »

Try Tag&Rename (fully functional 30 day trial). Do a Google for the site. Latest version is very good and handles ape2 tags (mpc/ape) & vorbis comments (ogg/flac). It will strip out current tags & then you can rebuild your mpc's with ape2. Supports both retag from filename and rename file from tags. The only downer about it is that it reads the entire directory you select, rather than picking out the files you want to edit...so it could be kind of slow initially on loaded dir's.

10-27

JiiPee

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 04:07:58 pm »

You can use Tagger to remove unwanted id3v2 fields from your mpc files. It's free fontend to Tag command line tag editor which is also free.

http://www.tagger.boereck.de/

Wintings

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 08:13:33 am »

Thanks JiiPee and xen-uno. I've removed the tags (using Tag&Rename) but it makes no difference, the mpc files still won't play. There must be something more fundamental wrong. Not to worry. I'll get an mp3 version of the CD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up