INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preludes, Matching Pairs, etc...  (Read 1324 times)

Bryan

• World Citizen
Preludes, Matching Pairs, etc...
« on: May 20, 2004, 04:29:42 pm »

This has been brought up before but I haven't seen any discussion on the subject recently so I wanted to see if this has been solved yet...

Has anyone found a  way, short of concatenating songs together via a music editor, to "guide" MC to play certain songs in pairs as they're intended to be played?   Such as Alan Parson's Project - Voyager & What Goes Up, Styx - Prelude 12 & Suite Madame Blue, The Beatles - the entire 2nd side of Abbey Road....  ?

If not, will Media Editor easily combine two songs into one or do I need to use Cool Edit?

It would be useful if there were a field (such as "Preceded By" that pointed to the path of a song that is 'supposed' to play BEFORE the selected song and have MC temporarily branch away from the playlist and go play that song then return.   I don't see how this couldn't be done.

Bryan

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Preludes, Matching Pairs, etc...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 04:43:25 pm »

This would be a great feature.  I am trying to figure out a way to do this using smartlists, but I don't know if it's possible.

Just some thoughts:
1.  Add a custom tag "Join"
2.  Populate the Join tag with data, only for songs that are to be joined (maybe put the track# of the song to be joined with)
3.  Create a Smartlist that excludes any file with a value in the Join tag
4.  Create a Smartlist that excludes any file *without* a value in the Join tag (sorted by album name first, then track number)
5.  ? (somehow join the songs that are supposed to be joined using the smartlist in step 4)
6.  Create a Smartlist that includes Smartlists in steps 3 and 5...

The question is how to perform step 5...  Is it even possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 07:51:18 pm »

Playlists might work.  You can make a playlist of playlists, too.

IanG

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 06:04:53 am »

This would be a great feature.  I am trying to figure out a way to do this using smartlists, but I don't know if it's possible.

Just some thoughts:
1.  Add a custom tag "Join"
2.  Populate the Join tag with data, only for songs that are to be joined (maybe put the track# of the song to be joined with)
3.  Create a Smartlist that excludes any file with a value in the Join tag
4.  Create a Smartlist that excludes any file *without* a value in the Join tag (sorted by album name first, then track number)
5.  ? (somehow join the songs that are supposed to be joined using the smartlist in step 4)
6.  Create a Smartlist that includes Smartlists in steps 3 and 5...

The question is how to perform step 5...  Is it even possible?

Do you need step 5?  Don't your sort criteria in 4 join them?

Ian G.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 02:14:04 pm »

I think you do need 5.  Because how would you randomize the resulting playlist without scattering the "joined" files?

I have thought about using Playlists as well, but since you cannot add a playlist to the playing now window, I don't know how it would all work (What I mean here is that the playlist name would show up in playing now, not the songs it contains).  And I think that is what we really need.  The ability to place a playlist into the playing now list, or in other words, the ability to treat a playlist as a song.

The more I think about this (the ability to treat a playlist as a song), the more I like it.  I can think of all sorts of things that this would enable or make simple.

Something to think about anyway.

Bryan

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 03:48:57 pm »

Treating a playlist as an entity in Playing now would work.  I'm still confused as to how the steps mentioned above are to work though.  

Adding a tag field that MC could  check would work also.  Put the path of the preceding song in that field and MC could insert the song into the playlist where it belongs.

Nevertheless, it would be nice to have a solution to this issue..
Bryan

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 04:28:16 pm »

Creating and nesting special playlists seems an unnecessarily complicated way to achieve what should be a simple objective.  Anyway, I like to keep the number of playlists to the minimum.

The use of a tag would be a simple, permanent and clutter-free way to keep tracks together.  The use of a tag to trigger gapless playback would also be helpful.
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 10:30:05 am »

(What I mean here is that the playlist name would show up in playing now, not the songs it contains).  And I think that is what we really need.  The ability to place a playlist into the playing now list, or in other words, the ability to treat a playlist as a song.

The more I think about this (the ability to treat a playlist as a song), the more I like it.  I can think of all sorts of things that this would enable or make simple.

Something to think about anyway.

Can u give some examples where u could want matching pairs, pls include genre of music or type of media ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up