INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian characters  (Read 1477 times)

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
Russian characters
« on: May 23, 2004, 09:11:18 am »

MC seems to have problems saving tracks with Russian characters in the name (although this may be a Windows problem).

My brother in Moscow sent me an album by a Russian band called Zveri (which in the Russian font is Звери).  I inserted the CD which was unsurprisingly not recognised by YADB.  I then cut and pasted the track names in Cyrillic from the official album page at http://www.zve.ru/zvuk/ and also entered the album name and track name in Cyrillic as well.

When I tried to rip the CD, using the internal MP3 encoder, MC hung and I had to kill it from the taskbar.

When I tried to rip the CD using uncompressed Wave, it read the file OK but didn't save it - MC gave a message to the effect that the file could not be updated because it was read-only or corrupt.

I changed the CD details to use an English font and it then ripped OK.  Once the tracks were ripped I could change them back to Cyrillic within MC and thereafter everything works OK.  So MC seems to handle Cyrillic fonts fine except when trying to save ripped tracks.

The only thing that makes me think this may not be a Windows problem is that the directory for the album was created OK using the Cyrillic font, so it looks like Windows can also handle this font correctly.

Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Russian characters
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2004, 09:19:19 am »

The lame encoder may be the problem.  Try ripping to APE or WAV (to test).

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2004, 09:30:52 am »

As I stated above, ripping to WAV appears to rip OK but then errors when it tries to save the file.

I've just discovered another problem, this time definitely MC related.  Moving an album with Russian characters in the song titles, using the My Computer view within MC, replaces all the Cyrillic characters with question marks in the Media Library.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2004, 09:48:52 am »

Can you copy your system info from MC Help and paste it here?

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2004, 10:13:56 am »

Media Center Registered 10.0.140 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2596 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 649 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1348 (xpsp2.040109-1800) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E: PLEXTOR CD-R   PX-W2410A  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32112
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W2410A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2004, 02:11:16 pm »

the probleme is here since few months
since 9.1
same here
i cannot rip a cd with hebrew tags
i got cd infos from YADB- i uploaded this cd infos at the start of yadb.
With MJ8 i was able to rip this cds.
not anymore , in any format.
there is posts from me about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up