INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synchronized ipod not showing my playlists or songs on the ipod itself  (Read 4368 times)

LehighBri

I did the following steps but cannot see any songs or playlists on the ipod itself:

1. Initialized the ipod in Media Center 10.0.130
2. Synced over many of my songs and playlists
3. Safely removed the device from windows and unplugged the usb
4. Turned on the ipod and clicked on Playlists
5. No playlists are shown even though I can see them under my ipod device in MC10
6. Same goes for Browsing... I don't see any songs on the ipod

Any ideas why I can see everything on the ipod device in MC10 but I cannot play or see any of my songs on the ipod itself?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe

LehighBri,

Something is wrong with the iTunes Database. Either try reinitializing and then sync a small playlist and disconnect and see if all is well, or try browsing to your iPod in Windows Explorer and find the iPod_Control\Music folder and check the sub folders (i.e. F00 - F19) for files. If they are there, you can try doing a 'Rebuild Database from iPod) in the right click menu on the iPod drive in MC.

Steve

LehighBri

Thanks for the help.  I think the reason I am having issues as well is I may be syncing well.  Is there documentation anywhere as to what the following sync options mean:

-Sync data to MC
-Send playlist data (does this sync songs as well as the physical playlists)
-Synchronize all files

If you could let me know where I could find more info on those options that would be great!

SteveG

-Sync data to MC

This will transfer Ratings, Date Last Played, and Play Count information from Portables to MC if the Portable supports this information.

-Send playlist data (does this sync songs as well as the physical playlists)

This sends the physical files as well as creating the playlists for those files to the Portable. With this unchecked, just the files go, but the playlists will not be created.

-Synchronize all files

Sends all files in the library, but does not create playlists.

LehighBri

Awesome ... thanks so much... that clears a lot of things up!

I just did a quick test... I reinitialized my ipod with MC... synced over one playlist with 2 songs... updated the ratings of the songs on the ipod... synced again but with "Sync data to MC" checked.. and the following occurred:

The updated rating and playcount was NOT sent back to MC.... rather... the original rating from MC was transferred back to the ipod.  Any ideas why that is happening?

If not, what is the best way for me to start fresh to ensure all future synchronizations work properly.

Thanks in advance!

SteveG

What firmware do you have?

Please repeat your test. Before you sync the second time, verify that when viewed from MC the iPod shows the changed ratings. Also verify that in MC, the old rating still exists in the playlist. Also, be sure you have not touched those files in MC in between (i.e. playing them, changing tag info, etc). Run the sync and let me know the results.

Thanks.

PS Is Lehigh as in Lehigh University in the Poconos of PA?

LehighBri

I am using ipod's firmware version 2.2.

I did exactly as you say... I have a 3 star file in MC.  I sync that song over to my ipod.  The song shows up on the ipod as 3 stars.  I then change it to 5 stars and plug the ipod back in.  Clicking on the ipod device in MC, I see the song has 5 stars while the MC library still shows it as 3 stars.  I haven't changed any songs since.  I sync, and the 3 star song rating goes back to the ipod both on the ipod itself and in MC.

I pretty much have given up and am resorting back to the extremely easy to use itunes.  Hopefully stronger ipod integration will lure me back to the great MC product.

And yes, Lehigh University was where I went for my undergrad.  Good eye!

SteveG

Do you have iTunes set to auto detect the connect of  the iPod? If so, turn it off and rerun the test.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up