INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swapping Files Location  (Read 1360 times)

bav

• Change this by choosing profile
Swapping Files Location
« on: May 26, 2004, 10:20:23 am »

Hi,

Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place, but I have searched the forums and couldn't find any information.

I receontly bought a new hard drive, where I want to store my MP3's onto.

Currently I use MC9.1 and my mp3's all sit on D: drive.

Basically, I want to move all of these mp3's onto the new HD (L: and keep all of the existing settings (ie, same playlists, etc.. etc..).

Ie, I want a smooth crossover where I won't really notice any changes.. the only thing that will change is the path of the mp3's. everything else will remain the same.

Also, NOT all mp3's on my HD have been imported into MC9.1

My question is, can I just copy over all of my mp3's from D: to L: in windows explorer and then somehow tell MC to "point" to the new location instead?

I don't want to mess anything up as it's taken me ages to get things just the way I want them with my iPod too.
If there is a smooth/easy way to do it, that would be great.

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Re:Swapping Files Location
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 10:48:22 am »

Do it from "within" MC using the "Move/Copy file" option under Library Tools. MC will move the files for you and will update the library accordingly.

Try first with a few files to see how it works.

Hope it helps.

bav

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 10:59:03 am »

Thanks for the response David.

Moving them from within MC will only move the mp3's which have already been imported into MC. Many files have not been imported.

Does this mean I have to copy the other mp3's over to the new location separately?

I thought I could just move ALL my files in windows explorer to the new location, and just tell MC9 to point to the new location instead of the old one and MC will update the library accordingly?

But how do MC tell it the new location? (L: instead of D:)

Is this possible?

Thanks

Deivit

• I find your interest interesting...
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2004, 11:07:32 am »

Well, you can try with a "find and replace" (find D: replace by L:) also under Library Tools if you want MC to point to the new location. Move the files in windows explorer and then perform the "find and replace" thing.

As I suggested before, test with a few files first and see if the behaviour is as expected.

Hope it works.

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2004, 01:24:56 pm »

You could import them all,
Use the move function
Then remove all the files from MC that were imported today...

That should work
-

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 04:57:11 pm »

Simply do a move from within MC (if 9 supports it) go to tools - Library tools - move/copy Disk files. this will keep the playlist straight...  Just do a few to start with then blast them if it works.  Also, the files not in 9.0 will be left in the directory by themselves... good luck

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 09:22:26 pm »

I am trying to do the same thing.  My files are currently organized in an artist/album folder structure.  How can I have MC 10 move the files and keep the same directory structure?

It seems that MC moves all of the selected files into one destination directory.

Thanks.
Brian

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 09:39:28 pm »

Use Find and Replace. It's much better for this kind of thing. If you're moving C:\Music to L:\Music, I would:
1: Backup your library
2: Copy C:\Music onto the L drive in Windows Explorer
3: Rename C:\Music to C:\Music.old
4: Then do a Find and Replace on Filename replacing C:\Music with L:\Music

4 should be pretty quick as you've already moved them yourself. If it all works fine, you can delete C:\Music.old. Otherwise, rename it back to C:\Music and restore your library and you'll be back where you were.

4 is the only step that is actually necessary but the others give you a safety net.

modelmaker

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 10:03:50 pm »

An alternative if you want to use Windows: (win2k or XP)
1. Use MC to back up your present library - for safety.(File>Library>Backup Library)
2. Copy your files to the new drive.
3. Use Windows "Administrative Tools"(in Control Panel)>Computer Management>Disc Mangement to rename your drives. Right-click over the drive you want to change and choose the action from the menu.  

note: as two drives cannot have the same name, you have to rename the old drive first (to an unused letter), then rename the new drive to the old drive's letter.

MC won't even know it's looking at a new drive. All your playlists will still be intact, as will cover art links and everything else in the MC database.

(I am assuming that MC is not on the same drive as the files, if MC is on the same drive, use "find and replace" or copy the Library backup(Program Files>J River>Media Center>Data>Backup) & the jmd files (J River>Media Center>data) to the new drive as well, reinstall MC on the re-named old drive and copy the Backup and jmd files back into MC and then restore the library). In this case I think the previous poster's method would be simpler.

Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

bav

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 07:04:18 am »

I tell you how I did it so EASILY in MC9.1  ;D

All I did was select my whole library (by highlighting everything)

Then find/replace

Only check the "file path" checkbox in find/replace

Find = C:\
Replace = L:\

It changes all the path's for the mp3's in MC.. unhighlight from the library and somehow MC MOVES everything across by itself as well as updating the ID3 tags. (This may take a few mins depending on how many songs in your library)

It then asks if you want to delete the empty folders from the old destination drive.

Voila.. nice and simple!!

How good is MC???

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sauzee

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2004, 09:47:28 am »

bav

You're dead right. I've done exactly the same as you before. Dead simple. Fantastic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up