INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: setting up view schemes in MC  (Read 1975 times)

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
setting up view schemes in MC
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:59:04 am »

when i set up a view scheme in MC10 i am wondering whether it is possible to have later columns in the view scheme change earlier columns.

e.g. say my first column is 'genre' and my second column is 'sub genre'.  i click on reggae as my genre, and then from the sub genre list i choose 'studio one'.  is it possible then for the 'genre' column to switch to showing just the genres for 'studio one' (whilst still keeping 'reggae' highlighted, so i still have 'reggae/studio one' albums showing).  i am aware that i could set up a second 'genre' column after the 'subgenre column', but i am trying to limit the number of columns in my view schemes

thanks

nick

jleerigby

Re:setting up view schemes in MC
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 07:14:39 am »

I find your question confusing  ?

What exactly do you want MC to return?

Give an example in this sort of language:

where genre = reggae and subgenre = studio1
where genre = reggae or subgenre = studio1

Is it one of these you are after?

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 07:25:31 am »

i find your language confusing too! :-\

basically when i set up a view scheme in the top part of the contents pane i have a series of columns (depending on which fields i chose to show).  normally they work like a tree, so when you choose say an artist in the first column, you can only see the albums by that artist in the second column, and if you then choose one of these albums, you will only see the tracks on this album in the third column (presuming you have set up this view scheme as artist\album\name)

what i would like to be able to do is, e.g. when i go straight to column 2 and choose an album, not only does column 3 change to give me the tracks from this album, but column one changes to give me the artist(s) on this album.

what i am effectively saying is that i would like the tree or rather the viewscheme to not be hierarchical (not sure if that is the right term, but i hope you know what i mean).  i would like it to be able to relate both ways, i.e. to the left and the right of the column i am using to select.  i am aware that i can get the same info by adding (in this example) a second 'album' column at the end, but would rather not have too columns the same if i can avoid it

i hope this is clearer (but i am not that confident it is)

nick

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 07:45:15 am »

It is much clearer.  This was discussed quite a lot during MC 9.1 development.  Try a search on 'hierarchical' and you should find some of the threads with pros and cons.

hit_ny

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 08:03:20 am »

when i set up a view scheme in MC10 i am wondering whether it is possible to have later columns in the view scheme change earlier columns.

That's an interesting idea....i suppose bi-directional would be another word to describe it.

As things are atm with panes, things work in a left-right fashion.

Wonder if there is any interest from others for this "bi-directional" behavior. Im so used to things going in this one direction that the possibilty of going the other way did not ocur to me. Its easiest to go from left to right, as the panes get successively lengthier, isnt it logical to start from left to right.

i admit its a bit disorienting to the uniniated. But if u realise whats going on, can be quite informative. In the sense its random access rather than sequential (going from left to right). Some ppl dont think genre, then artist, a lot would think artist.

for the moment, u would have to create separate view schemes to achieve this.

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 08:08:17 am »

I think that the earlier consensus was that heirarchical was good for music where as non-heirarchical was better for photo's.  Someone suggested that 'heirarchical' should be an option when setting up the view scheme.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 08:31:18 am »

You can do this in the Search box, although it's slower. Do "Add Rule->Genre" and select Reggae. Then do "Add Rule->Subgenre" and if you have "Only show items that match other search criteria" selected, you should only see subgenres of Reggae. Select Studio1 and then delete the "Genre: Reggae" rule. If you now do "Add Rule->Genre", you should only see Genres that have a Studio1 subgenre.
Is this the kind of thing you're after, or am I misunderstanding?

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 03:34:02 pm »

You can do this in the Search box, although it's slower. Do "Add Rule->Genre" and select Reggae. Then do "Add Rule->Subgenre" and if you have "Only show items that match other search criteria" selected, you should only see subgenres of Reggae. Select Studio1 and then delete the "Genre: Reggae" rule. If you now do "Add Rule->Genre", you should only see Genres that have a Studio1 subgenre.
Is this the kind of thing you're after, or am I misunderstanding?

yes, this is the kind of thing i am looking for, but it is, as you say, a bit long winded.  for now, i will have to put a second 'genre' column to the far right to get what i want.  but i do think that the option of 'birdirection' view schemes would be an excellent addition to MC

anyone out there listenin'??

nick ;D

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 04:28:30 pm »

p.s. even setting up a second genre column at the right hand side of a view scheme isn't as good as bidirectional.  say i click 'reggae' in the first column (genre) and then 'studio one' in the second (sub genre), i will still only see reggae albums in the genre column to the right, unless i click 'all' in the first column or skip the first genre column, and click on 'studio one' under sub genre first off.

tis not bad, but could be better!!! ::)

nick

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 02:47:52 am »

The question with bidirectional is...how do u restore the original view on the left most pane, if u click in the second or later panes. i mean...the first pane's items are now reduced to showing what is relvant to the second or later panes.

Is there a graceful way to restore the left most pane ?

..or do u need to click back in the tree at the view scheme to reload it. This kind of to and from can get tedious. As it is currently, all the other panes depend on the left most. If bidirectional is implemented then the dependency will shift to which pane is clicked first.

How bout clicking on 'all' in the right most pane to restore everything ? or, clicking on the left most header column ? dunno.

any ideas to make this action easier might get bidirectional view schemes implemented.

i have not used MC for photos as yet so i think bidirectional would be particularly helpful for them.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 03:05:49 am »

sure, there are probably lots of ways of restoring a view scheme to showing all of the contents.

perhaps the simplest way would be to single click on the view scheme that you are using in the tree.  at the moment this doesn't seem to do anything.

another useful feature would be to have the 'all' lines in the view schemes showing at all times (i.e. they would be 'stickies').  so if say you selected an item in column 3 that then changed all other columns bidirectionally, clicking on 'all' in this column would then restore everything again.  and if you had made selections in many columns then my above suggestion (clicking once in the tree view) would reset all columns to show all, without having to click on 'all' in lots of columns.

nick.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2004, 05:10:08 am »

perhaps the simplest way would be to single click on the view scheme that you are using in the tree.  at the moment this doesn't seem to do anything.

Yes, but i think the two & fro would become an issue. Especially if u maximise the view by shifting the grabber to the extreme left. I do this often if there are 3 or more panes in view.

Now i need to expand so the tree can be shown and click on view scheme. Gets old quick, if u are used to doing things in a left-right fashion.

another useful feature would be to have the 'all' lines in the view schemes showing at all times (i.e. they would be 'stickies').  so if say you selected an item in column 3 that then changed all other columns bidirectionally, clicking on 'all' in this column would then restore everything again.  and if you had made selections in many columns then my above suggestion (clicking once in the tree view) would reset all columns to show all, without having to click on 'all' in lots of columns.

This one is more interesting....i wonder how much of a speed hit it would take, to keep All in view ?

I'm thinking if there are 3 panes and one clicks on the center, the first pane would have to be updated as well as the third whereas, currently only the right most needs updating (not too hard i suppose if the first pane's items can just be hidden).

Now to get back, just hit All in any of the coulmn desired and the first pane(un-hides) itself and the third updates as normal.

Or instead of having to keep 'all' in view, just click the column header.
That could work, wonder what others think.

If this was ever implemented, one would need to be made aware of the difference between the two ways the panes could operate. Maybe if there was a visual cue showing this view scheme is "different" ie shading/coloring from the one we are used to.

Think we need some more examples where this "bidirectional" view would be better than the usual way of looking at things, showing results in fewer clicks.

nickharambee

• Galactic Citizen
  • doh!
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2004, 05:42:22 am »

Yes, but i think the two & fro would become an issue. Especially if u maximise the view by shifting the grabber to the extreme left. I do this often if there are 3 or more panes in view.

are you saying you can expand the view scheme across the whole page?  at present i can only drag the grabber so far left.....the tree view is always showing....maybe a 1/5 of the screen.  so the list of my view schemes is always visible.  one click to reset all of the columns in a view scheme seems like the height of simplicity to me ;D

Or instead of having to keep 'all' in view, just click the column header.
That could work, wonder what others think.

at the moment when you click on the column header you get the option to 'edit view scheme', but this could be limited to a right click, and then reseting column to 'all' could be assigned to the left click.

Think we need some more examples where this "bidirectional" view would be better than the usual way of looking at things, showing results in fewer clicks.

here's one example:

column 1: genre - the main genre of the music,
e.g. 'reggae', 'funk', etc.....

column 2: sub genre - more specific genre info, e.g. different types of reggae.....

now some subgenres may apply to different genres.  e.g. studio one, may have different genres: reggae, dub, ska, etc.

if the view schemes were set up so that whatever column you clicked in first was the 'master column', then if i selected 'studio one' in column 2 then all of the genres for this would show in column 1.  now if column 2 is the master column when i click on 'dub' in column 1 i will just get studio one dub!

i am aware that i could do this the other way round as things are in MC is at present (i.e. select 'dub' in column 1 and 'studio one' in column 2), but would like to be able to select both ways, so that if i am listening to 'studio one reggae' i can then switch to 'studio one dub' without having to go back and select 'dub' as the 'main genre' and 'studio one' as the subgenre.

i hope this is clear.  this is not strictly bidirectional.  maybe view schemes could be set up so that the order in which you click in the columns is the order in which the tree works (if you get what i mean).  a single click on the name of the view scheme in the tree view on the left could then reset it to show all.  a single click on the column header to reset that column to 'all' may also be a useful addition....

nick

click 'studio one'.  if the view scheme was bidirectional then in column one i would get all of trghe

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2004, 06:57:50 am »

are you saying you can expand the view scheme across the whole page?  at present i can only drag the grabber so far left.....the tree view is always showing....maybe a 1/5 of the screen.

Just dbl click the grabber (vertical separator) to maximise view schem, to get to playing now CTRL+2, to return to same scheme.. backspace or alt+<-

Easy innit !!!

i am aware that i could do this the other way round as things are in MC is at present (i.e. select 'dub' in column 1 and 'studio one' in column 2), but would like to be able to select both ways, so that if i am listening to 'studio one reggae' i can then switch to 'studio one dub' without having to go back and select 'dub' as the 'main genre' and 'studio one' as the subgenre.

Makes it easier to see multiple genres/sub-genres that an artist might produce. IOW dont have to remember that studio1 has a dub album as well as a reggae album.

I have a few artists like that. I have not started on sub-genres as yet, the task is daunting when u come across compilations that include many genres in one album but somehow sound cool when mixed in properly. I am hoping to give aTagger a try with this when i get some time.

This is useful if the middle column has a one to many relationship with the right pane (as well as left pane). I see this happening more often with other media like photos than music.

I suppose in a way i got around this bidirectional limit.  If im listening to an artist and want to know what other albums they have made.

i would do a Locate->Artist in Playing Now, this would show all tracks the artist has done across any album in the collection. You could get more artist-album specific if u enter in the search bar (top right) autoalbumartist="artistname" or try the diff other shortcuts that refer to specific fields, to find them Tools->Options->Tree&View->Edit (any field)  and look at what keywords refer to it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up