INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD ripping  (Read 2634 times)

zagor

• Recent member
DVD ripping
« on: May 27, 2004, 07:10:49 am »

I want to rip some portions of my DVD's. I've tried some software but those are good for duplication purposes.
I don't want to duplicate. I just want to copy the favourite scenes of the films.
I'm an amateur, so the software you'll kindly suggest should be easy to use (at least like MC) and I could watch the scene when I'm ripping.
What you suggest ?

Matthew

• World Citizen
Re:DVD ripping
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 12:53:42 pm »

You could only copy the WHOLE DVD. Try DVD X Copy Platinum.   www.321studios.com

edbro

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 12:57:30 pm »

You can copy portions of the DVD with DVDShrink (freeware, of course). Check out the guides on Doom:
http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/dvdshrink31-mmo.htm

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:21:54 pm »

I don't understand why anyone would want to copy some of the DVD.

edbro

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 01:25:44 pm »

Well, because most commercial DVDs are mastered onto 9.x GB discs. We only have access to 4.xGB discs. To back up a disk you either need to compress the data or cut out some of the extras. Personally, I'd rather cut out theatrical trailers, games, etc. rather than compress the movie with the resulting loss of quality.

DVDShrink is a fantastic program that will allow you to remaster and cut parts of the cd. It will also automatically compress the material to fit onto whatever media you tell it you are using.

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 01:35:46 pm »

You know it funny because with DVD X Copy Platinum, you can copy the ENTIRE disc no matter how big the disc is. I copied an entire disc like Back To The Future III the size was like 9 gb in size and some how DVD X Copy Platinum manages to copy the entire disc with no problem here is more info:  http://www.321studios.com/products/dvdXtreme.asp

Back up your DVD movies to just one disc, including menus, trailers and special features.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 01:43:18 pm »

It's possible to do that with DvdShrink also but that's at the loss of your movie quality.

Easily put, a 9gb movie can be copied to a 4.7gb dvd-r disc but there will be higher compression needed and as such, more loss of quality in the film itself.

If you remove those un-needed part of a dvd, maybe you will only be compressing 7-8gb to a 4.7 gb which means less compression needed, which leads to higher quality.
Don't Panic!

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 01:54:52 pm »

escaflo, with DVD X Copy nothing is lost you can copy the whole DVD with no problems. Thats why I use it.

I never heard of DVDShrink but I heard its a good program.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 02:00:38 pm »

I don't believe there's any way to copy 9GB of material onto a 4.7GB DVD without deleting some material and/or compressing some of it further with consequent loss of quality. There's just no such thing as a free lunch.
It's possible DVD  XCopy just does the compression automatically without letting you know.
By the way, are they still selling DVD XCopy or did a judge stop them, citing the Digital Millenium Act?

edit: After checking the web site, I guess they still sell it but it won't copy CSS encrypted DVD's. Are there many commercial DVD's that aren't CSS encrypted?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 02:04:51 pm »

... I never heard of DVDShrink but I heard its a good program.
Was that a joke or just a mis-statement?   :D
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

edbro

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 02:06:50 pm »

What JohnT said is true; you can't put 9G of data on a 4G disk! DVDXcopy may be able to copy the entire disk but it is being greatly compressed. DVDShrink also compresses data but also gives you the option of cutting unnecessary stuff to reduce the compression of the remaining.

Some commercial DVDs are in fact able to fit on a single 4.7G disk without any compression or cutting of features.

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2004, 02:33:46 pm »

I never heard of DVDShrink but I heard its a good program.
your right it is a joke. hehehe....
you know your right the copy does look alitlle poor. However, it copies every thing from the disc. DVD X Copy now does not copy CSS Encryped disc which sucks but, your can find the old demo version of DVD X Copy Xpress which lets you copy ANY discs even with CSS on it.
Which lets you use it for 15 days.

edbro

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2004, 02:56:50 pm »

One other thing I forgot to point out about DVDShrink, you can set the start and end markers for a title. So, if you don't want/need the first 30 seconds of the studio's logo or the last minute of credits, you can cut those out. This allows you to have even less compression.

I'm not the developer of this software so that is not why I am high on it. It is just that I first started using this a week ago and fell in love with it. I did find one DVD (Finding Nemo) that it wouldn't back up, so I used DVD Decryptor to back the DVD onto my hard drive as an ISO. Then I was able to access it with DVD Shrink as if it was a disk.

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2004, 05:20:28 pm »

This bug applies to copied DVDs from DVD X Copy Platinum
MC when playing copied DVDs,  frezes during playback it takes about 10 minutes then the playback simply frezes.

The only option is to press stop and start playback from the begining.

Also, Subtitles dont seem to work.

I tested my copied DVDs in PowerDVD they played fine with out no problems

loraan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2004, 06:16:30 pm »

escaflo, with DVD X Copy nothing is lost you can copy the whole DVD with no problems. Thats why I use it.

Yes, I think we understand that. When you say, "nothing is lost", you mean that no features are deleted. However, it is impossible to fit greater than about 4.5 GB of data onto a single-layer DVD. DVDXCopy is not working magic: either the original DVD contains less than 4.5 GB of data (surprisingly common) or DVDXCopy is compressing the original DVD, with a corresponding loss of quality.

zagor

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2004, 02:35:46 am »

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Now, I want to to give you some information about my experince with the softwares that you suggest.

DVDShrink is small but an amazing program. It gives you the total control of what you want to copy from a DVD without any complexity.

Because the outputs from the DVDShrink are .VOB files, I decided to change them to more computer friendly .AVI format. I choose Auto Gordion Knot. It is also a good software and easy to use but slow.

I think DVDShrink and Auto Gordion Knot are what I need.
Thank you.

jleerigby

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 02:37:45 am »

I would use DVD Decrypter for this.  You can set it up to rip to VOBs and separate it in various ways e.g. by chapter.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 05:46:49 pm »

http://fairuse.free.fr/lang_en/index.html

Seems to do all this OK - although I have only used it once
Pat.

pank2002

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 05:56:21 pm »

Would you be able to delete fx unwanted sound from the a commercial dvd (fx the badly syncronised german speech overly in [put in any movie]) and unwated subtitles?
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

EpF

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 06:55:49 pm »

Would you be able to delete fx unwanted sound from the a commercial dvd (fx the badly syncronised german speech overly in [put in any movie]) and unwated subtitles?

Yep - DVD Shrink gives you the option to omit audio, with all the different languages presented as different options, so you could keep the French but leave out the German etc...  
Pages: [1]   Go Up