INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ~nodup command problem  (Read 1560 times)

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
~nodup command problem
« on: May 27, 2004, 07:45:08 am »

~nodup=[name],[artist],[album]
Does not seem to work correctly.  Not giving me correct results.  
Is this a bug that will be fixed in a later release or is it me.....
I will restate my problem below
"Skip Conversion of Same File type" does not appear to work.
I want to create a wma of each of my mp3 files.  I have some of the wma already.  So I updated the library to show both mp3 and wma, then selected some that have only mp3 and some that have both wma and mp3.  I have checked the box "Skip conversion of same file type" and am storing the new wma in another directory and am NOT updating the database.  This should allow me to create wma files of only those with mp3 only, it should not update my database and it should store the new wma of only the mp3 in a separate directory.  It does all of this but it also creates a wma when a wma already exists in the database with the same name as the one being created.  
Here is what 'Help" says:
Move to Location
Specifies a location to put the output files of the converter. If no directory is specified, it will place the files in the same folder as the source files.

You can also create Artist/Album subdirectories in the chosen location.

Update database
Updates the database to reflect the new format of the converted files. For example, if you convert a batch of WAV files to MP3, the database will be updated to show the MP3 files in place of the old WAV files.

If un-checked, no changes are made to the database, and you will have to import the new files if you want them in your library.

Send original files to the Recycle Bin
This erases the original source files after a successful conversion (again, if you convert a batch of WAV files to MP3, it'll recycle the WAV files).

Skip duplicates
When checked, the program will not convert a file if that file already exists in your database. For example, if you are converting Blowin’ in the Wind.wav to Blowin’ in the Wind.mp3, but the latter already exists, the program will not convert this file if Skip Duplicates is selected.

When unchecked, if the target file already exists, the program renames the new file by appending a copy number after it, for example Blowin’ in the Wind(1).mp3

In reality "skip duplicates" actually says "skip conversions of the same type"

So I tried the ~nodup command as stated in the first line of this post, but it does not render the correct results......

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
Re:~nodup command problem
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 08:25:28 am »

I think you're misunderstanding what ~nodup does. In my previous post, I suggested entering
~nodup=[name],[artist],[album],[track #]
in the Search box and that will show you all tracks that do not have duplicates with the same tags. Since conversions preserve the tags, this will effectively give you all tracks that have not been converted. Then, select just the tracks that appear as a result of this search and do a conversion on them.

TXgary

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 09:36:10 am »

Certainly, there are two ways to do what I want to do.  Neither one works.  I believe they are tied to the same problem.  
The ~nodup command finds wma's as well as mp3s.  The wma are duplicats of the mp3s in some cases.  '
It is a hugh problem for me as I cannot identify the mp3's that have not been converted.
I understand ~nodups is suspose to find all that are NOT dups, but it just does not work for me..
Has anyone had any luck with it in the current build?

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 04:20:16 pm »

TxGary,

You could try creating a smartlist with a rule something like this....

~nodup=[Name],[Artist],[Album],[Genre] [File Type]=[mp3]

In other words, create a smartlist with no duplicates (to rule out files which already are converted based on name, artist, album, genre, etc.) with an additional rule to filter only mp3 files.

Steve

Pages: [1]   Go Up