INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Very strange behaviour on a Chicago song  (Read 1953 times)

mikemike99

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Very strange behaviour on a Chicago song
« on: August 25, 2004, 04:43:52 pm »

For a long time I had no problems using first Media Jukebox and later Media Center converting all my CDs to MP3s.

But now, I decided to convert my CDs to losless, monkeys audio.

Verifying the first few hundred ape-files brings me to a very strange effect (for me). Ripping a special song from Chicago (from original CD) and converting to ape results in a corrupted file (monkey 3.99, standard in Media Center). This file can't be copied with Explorer and can't be played with any player. Ripping this file with EAC and converting to ape via wapet (monkey 3.99) results in a correct file (same CD, same drive, same computer). There are two other files with the same problem, all others are OK.

I tried a lot, but always the same results and no idea. Maybe there ist an another built of monkey in media center than the official download from monkey? Perhaps I should try it with external compressor in Media center and use download from monkey instead of built in version?

I think I now will go to bed, in germany its near midnight and maybe I will have a solution-dream  ;).

mikemike99

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Very strange behaviour on a Chicago song
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 04:46:40 pm »

Try a search here.  A similar problem was solved a few days ago.

It's best to use the APE encoder in MC.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2004, 07:17:23 pm »

This file can't be copied with Explorer and can't be played with any player.

What is the name of the song? Do both ripping methods result the same filename? I think there could be an illegal filename. What version of MC and what version of Windows? Is it German?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mikemike99

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 01:36:36 am »

Thank Your for your answers.

Yes its a german XP SP1, but the filename is not the problem.

I think, I forgot to explain a detail. It is not completly corrupt. The copying process with the filemanager starts and it breaks in the middle of the file, the verify with monkey too and the playing with a player too.

I checked the harddisk of bad sectors, there was no problem.

I will do some other tests over the day.

I did a search yesterday, but couldn't find e thread with the same problem. Maybe the wrong keywords? (my english is not the best).

mikemike99

mikemike99

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 02:59:36 am »

Ripping seems to be OK.  If I left the . wav-files, there is no difference between MC and EAC, both played and copied without problems. Therefore it should be in the conversion process.

mikemike99

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 05:26:44 am »

Strange indeed...

Microsoft Windows Explorer does not "look" inside an .ape file when copying/moving. So I thought there must be something wrong with the file system if that does not work.

If the "Chicago" album is the original movie sound track, I could check the behavior here because I have it too.

That is why I asked the name of the song and your MC version too. Is it the latest MC10, 10.0.161?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

mikemike99

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 06:36:27 am »

Yes it is 10.0.161 and no this is not the Album. It's the Album "The Chicago story" from Chicago (2 CDs). But it is not the only CD with this effect. I get it too from a song form Phil Collins and one from ELO.

I checked the filesystem and do a surface scan, no problems. And I do a defragmentation of the drive. Deleting the files and talking another directory doesn't change anything. Mabe this is one of the very special errors, maybe in conjunction with my system, where you will never find out, where the problem comes from.

I checked all the files I ripped the last week with monkeys standalone software. There are only 4 files corrupt, in different directories, ripped at different days.

Maybe I should try to reset the database or the hole software-package.

mikemike99

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 06:48:11 am »

When I read your first post I thought that you had only one problem file. Now I have no idea what is happening. I hope you can find the cause.

mikemike99

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 06:56:18 am »

There was a mistake in my first post. Instead of "to other files" it should be "two other files", sorry.

mikemike99

[errors corrected by mod]
Pages: [1]   Go Up