INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Way OT - The newest Lava action at Kilauea  (Read 2017 times)

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
Way OT - The newest Lava action at Kilauea
« on: June 03, 2004, 02:01:57 pm »

For anyone intersted in some great pics of the newest lava flow on Kilauea, here is the link to the geology center's pics.  http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/#images

enjoy the show!   ;D  Bet

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:Way OT - The newest Lava action at Kilauea
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 02:27:26 pm »

That's HOT 8)
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

bebop

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 02:35:20 pm »

sigh, wish I were there!  It's well worth the hike out when there is a surface flow like this one.  ;D  Bet

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 04:00:09 pm »

Reminds me. Besides the action.

bebop

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 07:56:49 pm »

That is a great pic.  I tried to put one in this msg, and if I point to the pic at the geology site, it works, but if I point to the pic that I uploaded to my site, it doesn't..and I wasn't sure if it's ok to  insert a pic from someone else's site or not.  any body know the answer to that?  My best friend and her hubby are geologists and they just devour this stuff!  ;D  

shAf

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 09:43:03 am »

That's HOT 8)

... or as John Prine would say ... ssssiiizzzzlin'   ;)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

bebop

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 01:02:55 am »

Here's my favorite shot of today's action at Kilauea...Courtesy of the USGS

This is an highly unstable  incandescent slab 2-3 meters high which will probably enter the ocean soon.  Bet

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 09:20:07 pm »

Here's a bump in case you've missed it or haven't visited the site linked in the OP.

There are some incredible pictures and new ones are posted frequently.  Check out the pre-dawn sky on July 6th and the spatter shot on July 2nd.

Thanks bebop.  I'm really glad you shared this with us.

bebop

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 09:57:30 am »

Thanks, alway happy to share interesting stuff.   I check the site daily just to see the changes and marvel at nature's power!  Mind you, I am not brave enough to venture that close myself!!  Everyday the  geology crew is literally taking their lives in their hands as they gather these photo's, samples of the lava itself and map the changes. Although the dark areas look solid, they can be very misleading - the crust is very fragile in some places and lava still runs below that crusted area.  Lava tubes can also collapse and then there's the gas issue - it's toxic and since it actually pits glasses and sunglasses, one can only imagine what it does to eyes!  I have been trying to recall where I saw some great shots of the underwater volcanic activity, but the memory isn't so good these days.  Will ask my geogogist friends and post the address if I find it.    Bet

bebop

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2004, 10:25:55 am »

Here's the address of an old site that shows some ot the underwater volcanic activity off the westcoast.

http://newport.pmel.noaa.gov/nemo_cruise98/

bebop

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 01:36:30 pm »

Here's a great pic of the lava coming up from the sea floor off the tip at the Banana flow.   http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/archive/2004/Jul/20040715-4608_DAS_large.jpg

in some of the pics you can see the lava explosions  as it comes up under the waves.  there are also some interesting pics of lava bubbles ...like giant  fire colored baloons.   I asked the USGS people, and the photos are all public domain, so can be used as wallpapers or whathave you..if you use them in apublic place, such as a website, poster etc.  all they ask is that you give them credit for the pic.   so, thanks to the USGS  people at Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up