INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't find songs on ipod.  (Read 1585 times)

dwr50

• Dazed and confused.
Can't find songs on ipod.
« on: November 10, 2002, 05:36:13 pm »

I downloaded and installed MJ 8.0 today and the ipod plugin. I transfered 14 songs to the ipod, by draging to the bullseye, and they showed up in the devices menu for the ipod, but when I looked for them on the ipod, nothing showed up. Do the songs have to go into a certin folder? I see folders F00 - F020 something, and each folder has 1 or 2 songs in it.

I've only had the ipod 2 days. I'm using a P3 600 and win98se.I couldn't get Musicmatch or ephpod to even see my ipod, let alone copy to it.
Try before you buy !!

brickf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Can't find songs on ipod.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 09:12:28 pm »

I couldn't get the Ipod to work properly without installing the beta 9.0 version, and I had to use my Ipod updater to clean it before it worked, then chose format Ipod for MJ option on the plugin in MJ. Then it worked fine. Remember it's pretty new code, and is beta so it's buggy, but with 9.0 it ran fine for me. Good Luck.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2002, 04:24:06 am »

dwr50,

After you move the files to the bullseye (or if you right click and do "Send-To" or if you drop the files on the drive letter for the iPod) you must click on the drive letter to see the files "In Queue". At that point, clicking upload will move the files.

Assuming you are doing this already, try right clicking on the drive letter and select "Format". This will lose any data on your iPod, but then you should be able to get going.

dwr50

• Dazed and confused.
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2002, 08:31:27 am »

I can see the files in the ipod when I click on the drive letter, but I can't see the files when I use the ipod menu/songs directory. Where did mj put the files I uploaded ? If I select the drive in mj will the songs show up in mj ? I really don't want to format the drive without a better understanding of how everything works, or is supposed to work.

Just tried to play the songs from the ipod, it seamed to work. I got this when I clicked on the + by the cd,dvd,& handhelds.

G:
   - Albums
         Greatest Hits Vol. 2
   - Artists
         Abba
   - Genres
         Rock
   - Playlists
         EphPod

After playing the songs I closed mj and chose eject from the context menu on the G: drive. This gave me an error message but did eject the ipod and I got the ok to disconnect message on my ipod. It also killed my cdrw drive icon in the system tray, but didn't crash my computer. Must be a conflict with the cdrw id program. I didn't trust the ok to disconnect message and used menu/play to shutdown the ipod before I unplugged the firewire cable. I have been doing this shutdown routinely since the beginning because I don't have any ipod icons in my sys tray or taskbar to use to eject the ipod. I still can't see any songs in the ipod menus at all.
Try before you buy !!

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2002, 09:07:33 am »

dwr50,

The iPod plugin for MJ is still in beta form.  It's not done cooking yet.  As is stated on the download page,

"PLEASE NOTE: This is Beta Software and is currently in testing mode.

Using this Plug-in with other applications that support iPod may result in a loss of data. Please backup data wherever possible."

If you're concerned about data loss, I'd suggest using Ephpod until the iPod plugin for MJ is finalized.  Check out the Ephpod forums at www.ipodlounge.com -- there are lots of folks there who would be happy to help you get Ephpod working with your new iPod.

MJ's plugin is progressing very steadily, and is closer to completion every day.  However, until it's officially done, you shouldn't use it if you're not willing to format your iPod (again, and again, and again, and again, ;))
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 05:21:23 am »

dwr50,

If you see an "Eject" option, you do not have the latest Plug-in where this is disabled. There will be a new Plug-in posted today which will have the final major missing feature, Synchronization, added. Could you try downloading this and the latest version of MJ 9 (also available later today) and report bugs from there?

Thanks,

Steve

dwr50

• Dazed and confused.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 09:44:16 am »

dwr50,

If you see an "Eject" option, you do not have the latest Plug-in where this is disabled. There will be a new Plug-in posted today which will have the final major missing feature, Synchronization, added. Could you try downloading this and the latest version of MJ 9 (also available later today) and report bugs from there?

Thanks,

Steve

Gave up on winpod and ordered an ibook today. I'll convert my ipod to mac when the ibook arrives. I wish you luck on your project.

Thanks for your help,

dwr50
Try before you buy !!

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2002, 09:57:07 am »

Best of luck with your new computer, I hope that you find it's worth the price tag.  Although, I can't help but feel a little anger at the whole situation.

Apple just generated a sale of a new iBook, primarily because the software that they included with the Windows iPod was so completely inept that it couldn't get the basic functions of the iPod to work for you.  You can be sure that it'll work great with the new iBook, though.

>:(

Edit:  Sorry I came off a little bit hostile or angry... It's not like me to do so.  I'm sure there are other reasons for your new iBook than just your iPod.  I've always considered mmjb to be "second class" software, and I still find it hard to believe that it was picked to accompany the iPod, since it doesn't support a few key advertised features.  I think they should have gone with MJ, but I'm a bit biased (very happy MJ customer).

Lastly, you may have jumped ship a little early, if rumors of Steve's advances in the iPod plugin for MJ turn out to be as good as they sound!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

dwr50

• Dazed and confused.
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2002, 07:34:15 pm »

I decided to buy a new laptop a long time ago. What finally convinced me to go Apple is the fact that Microsoft dropped all support for Win98. I went to their knowledgebase and it contained nothing for Win98 at all... a blank page is all that's there and even the dropdown menu starts with WinME and goes to XP. I refuse to play anymore Microsoft games. A new copy of XP requires 100 hours of downloaded patches and upgrades to make it usable. I think it's time for change!
Try before you buy !!
Pages: [1]   Go Up