INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sort direction notation  (Read 1647 times)

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
Sort direction notation
« on: June 10, 2004, 03:33:40 pm »

The sort direction arrows in column headers are backwards compared to Windows Explorer, iTunes, Windows Media Player, and all other applications tested:

One user noted they found the arrows "logical and correct", however, they are reversed from every other applications' usage. Columns 3/4 are Windows Explorer (XP/SP1), columns 5/6 are iTunes 4.5. This is quite confusing when one is accustomed to using arrows where Up is Ascending and Down is Descending.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Sort direction notation
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 04:23:20 pm »

Weird about the sort arrows.  Am I alone in thinking drawing the arrow from A to Z (i.e. A -> Z) seems logical.

Anyway, we'll change it in a future build to be more "normal."

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Omni

Sort direction notation
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 04:45:56 pm »

Weird about the sort arrows.  Am I alone in thinking drawing the arrow from A to Z (i.e. A -> Z) seems logical.

No, I always thought that, too.  In my mind, the arrows should respresent the direction one should read the sorted list.

Unfortunately, Microsoft (more likely, one lone, confused programmer at Microsoft) did it backwards, and the world had to follow suit. :(

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
Sort direction notation
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 05:12:03 pm »

Am I alone in thinking drawing the arrow from A to Z (i.e. A -> Z) seems logical.

Matt, I'd have to say "not at all". I was just telling this story to a friend in Vienna, in fact, just got off the phone and saw the list.

When I described the situation to him, he said "all I use is Total Commander, and it has always felt backward to me." Total Commander is on my system at his recommendation, and was part of my test. Its arrows follow the convention Up/Ascending. Its arrows were exactly opposite of what Christoph believes is proper. The reason he stated is exactly what you wrote.

That's why I reposted this with the change in wording. The user who found them "logical and correct", and you, are just as correct as my association of Up/Ascending, Down/Descending. Apparently the person at MS who ultimately made the decision saw it from this viewpoint.

Christoph said it should be an option... I couldn't help but smile. I suggested it should be a system-level option, because people look at the world with such different assumptions and viewpoints. [Note, Omni, I thought MC was "backwards" last night. But Up/Ascending is just another symbolic association like Matt's A->Z, both are valid. I should have written "reversed" in both places in my posting today.]

Sigh... thanks for changing it.  Randy

Letzebuerger

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Sort direction notation
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 05:22:20 pm »

I think the Microsoft solution doesn't represent an arrow.

It is supposed to look like a hierarchical pyramid:
- The small side (summit) represents the "A" or "1".
- The large side represents the "Z" or "9"

The arrows are quite clear to understand. In my opinion it's not necessary to change anything. Otherwise you have to change the arrow into a triangle.

BullishDad

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Sort direction notation
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 06:33:13 pm »

- The small side (summit) represents the "A" or "1".
- The large side represents the "Z" or "9"

The arrows are quite clear to understand. In my opinion it's not necessary to change anything. Otherwise you have to change the arrow into a triangle.
Excellent point and I totally agree.  If you're going make the change then use the triangle if you are looking for similarity to other programs.

skidoo

• World Citizen
Sort direction notation
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 06:49:57 pm »

Ascending, descending. It's been standardized this way for years. You guys should change it to triangles.

RandyP

• World Citizen
  • Notre Dame
Sort direction notation
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 07:12:56 pm »

No, it is meant to be interpreted as an arrow that represents Ascending/Descending:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815680

"Note The arrow in the column header indicates the current sort order, and the direction of the arrow indicates whether the order is ascending or descending."

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Sort direction notation
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 08:27:38 pm »

We called an after-hours meeting.  Here is our official decision:

Ascending:    Descending:
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jt

• Recent member
Sort direction notation
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 08:42:23 pm »

Haha, you are kidding right?

Shouldn't clockwise be ascending in that case, and anti-clockwise be descending?
Pages: [1]   Go Up