INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 11.0.5 Alpha (NOT RECOMMENDED)  (Read 5939 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 11.0.5 Alpha (NOT RECOMMENDED)
« on: June 09, 2004, 03:54:43 pm »

We're just starting work on Media Center 11.  From time to time, we'll share our progress.

Think of these early builds like the hole in the ground before you start building a house.  Much like the hole, it's hard to get excited about these builds, and if you're not careful with them, you'll get hurt.

The major changes so far are a rewritten database core and movement towards improved document handling.  Many more changes will come with time.  We're listening.

BACKUP YOUR LIBRARY BEFORE INSTALLING -- THE NEW DATABASE FORMAT IS CHANGING -- ANY ORGANIZATION YOU DO WILL PROBABLY BE LOST WITH FUTURE RELEASES

< removed by Matt because of a file assocation bug -- check back soon for a newer build >

11.0.5 (6/9/04)

1. NEW: Moved image aquisition progress dialog into Action Window.
2. Fixed: On-the-fly conversion of music for TiVo playback was not working in some cases.
3. Fixed: Wait dialog could steal the focus from other programs in some cases.
4. Fixed: Update database wouldn't remove files from disconnected drives.
5. Changed: Simplified "File Information" section of the Update Database dialog.
6. NEW: Standard view's skin is unloaded on minimize -- releasing any GDI / memory resources.
7. NEW: New database format with many speed and feature improvements. (string pooling, compressed fields, dynamic loading / unloading, etc.)
8. NEW: Document files can be imported.
9. NEW: Document files can be launched in the associated program using the double-click / play action.
10. NEW: Searching inside of documents is possible. (search the field [Text])
11. Fixed: TiVo shuffle mode displaying wrong track number.
12. Changed: Non-editable fields (i.e. calculated fields, etc.) can be used as the source in the "Move / Copy Library Fields" tool.
13. Fixed: If spaces or duplicates got placed in list-type fields, it could cause problems in tagging mode.
14. NEW: File tagging now happens in its own thread, so it doesn't interfere with using MC.
15. NEW: Added CD burning options menu item: "Prefix List Order to Filename".
16. NEW: Added new "Tiles" list mode, which shows context for data files. (still under construction for other data types)

Enjoy :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Media Center 11.0.5 Alpha (NOT RECOMMENDED)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 04:02:10 pm »

Some more details about the database changes:

A Media Center 11 library can not be used by Media Center 10.

We will assume you have a valid Media Center 10 library backup when putting out future alphas.  That means there'll be no upgrading early alpha libraries -- you'll need to upgrade from your MC 10 backup.

Some of the new database improvements:
  • Faster and less resource intensive.
  • Only changed fields get saved -- no more "Saving database..." lag with large libraries.
  • The data in the database can be completely unloaded when it's not in use.
  • Some fields like lyrics, notes, text, get compressed in memory and on disk for about 10:1 space savings.
  • Duplicate values only use disk space and memory once.

On the horizon:
  • A new caching layer that works a little like a browser cache -- making it so your computer won't have to do work to sort or build lists of things it has already done in the past.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 04:11:41 pm »

Document handling notes:

• To get Document view schemes, right-click Media Library, and choose "Reset All View Schemes to Default"
  • Early support of Eudora mailboxes is there -- just drop a mailbox file (.mbx) on Media Library.
  • Searching inside of files requires [Text]= in the search box.  You can change this by picking "Default search field" for the Text library field in Options > Tree & View.  (this will happen by default in the future, but we have to hammer out performance issues)
  • Basic tags will get imported from Office files. (like "Title", "Comments", etc.)
  • Double-clicking a file should open it with the associated program.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 05:09:18 pm »

9. NEW: Document files can be launched in the associated program using the double-click / play action.

I get the warning "Please select file(s) to play." dialog when trying to double-click a document.  Sending to the default editor, however, works fine.

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 05:20:00 pm »

Is it possible to run both 10 and 11 versions on the same machine?

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 05:28:23 pm »

No

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 05:29:45 pm »

No.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 06:10:46 pm »

Hi I'm a first timer so be gentle. Please.

Just a thought but how about the idea of being anble to print out the library in and sort. i know you can convert it to XYZ and then do it, but just for us nontecho's just a basic print out facility.

If this is already there please let me know.

Take care.  ?

Have you played with the File > Print command?  You can print a file list.  Create a playlist if you want to print only certain files.

sherbs

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 06:29:59 pm »

While you're revamping the database, are you looking at making it more relational so that, eg,  the same bio for an artist doesn't have to be saved in each track?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 07:25:29 pm »

I get the warning "Please select file(s) to play." dialog when trying to double-click a document.  Sending to the default editor, however, works fine.
Thanks.  We saw that today and will fix it.

Matthew

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 09:17:03 pm »

This build is absolutely AWESOME!! It works great.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 11:43:57 pm »

So when are we gonna be able to launch executables with Media Center?  Just a few shortcuts in Start would be all I need.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 11:58:30 pm »

It's obviously not done yet, but I gotta say that I love the tiles view for music files.  Needs to be customizable but it is a great beginning.

Any chance that you are working with that audiolunchbox.com site that was posted here recently?  I think they carry a bunch of stuff from cd baby and you can download individual tracks instead of just buying cd's.

LonWar

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 07:00:29 am »

The tile view is pretty cool... But it needs to put the focus on the currently playing track....
-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2004, 07:05:42 am »

Tile view is just roughed in for now.  A lot will change.

I've split a couple of posts and started a thread called "What we want in V11".

Someone might also start a thread on new features like Tile View since this thread will get closed when a new build comes out.

Thanks for your feedback.

LonWar

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2004, 07:10:22 am »

The tile view is pretty cool... But it needs to put the focus on the currently playing track....

Ooops made a boo boo, it does highlite the current track when it changes.... Sorry guys..
-

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2004, 08:51:53 am »

A relational-like database would seriously be cool!
Is that possible?
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2004, 08:58:15 am »

A relational-like database would seriously be cool!
Is that possible?

The new database is relational in memory and on disk.

File tags don't support references to other files, so those aren't relational.

LonWar

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2004, 12:26:55 pm »

Using PDF files,

Rename files from properties is not working, Would be great if this could...
-

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2004, 02:00:17 pm »

Boy, oh boy...

Things sure do pick up with a new version ;D
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2004, 02:21:42 pm »

So, version 10 will die with .145?

I can't decide how I feel about this.  I have owned v10 since the beta (originally since v8), so I have had a lot of time with v10, but I think it was 'officially' released less than 6 weeks ago.  It seems that now it's done.  Is that long enough?  I dont' know.

I was really hoping for a lot more improvements to the image/video side of MC.  Instead it seems to be moving into pretty much unrelated (NOT MEDIA) ground.

Is version 11 going to address the hundreds of requests for improvements we have been making for months now, or is the focus pretty much just the new document handling stuff?  I hope not.  I don't mind the document stuff (I can't imagine I'll ever use it), but this is a media app, right?  right?

Does anyone at J River copy/save/print the hundreds of requests for improvements?  It seems like when it slows down, Jim asks us for suggestions again.  That's great, I love that they want our input to make a better product, but wouldn't it be easier for J River to just keep a master list, so they can just tick off the completed itmes, and continually prioritize the not completed stuff so there's always a list of what the customers want to see.  Seems like we are contantly providing suggestions that either get implemented right away (thanks!!), or get lost in the forums, and never get done, unless someone constantly nags/reminds.

It just seems like there should be a better way.

Also, I thought I read that Jim said the document stuff would be a seperate app, for a seperate fee.  Does this mean v11 is that new app, and work on v10 (or whatever it will be called w/no document stuff) is on the back burner?

Any guidance would be nice.

Thanks guys.

PS  Any change of making MC run as a web app, so I can use it from internet cafe's around the world, after I sell my laptop?
pretend this is something funny

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 02:46:26 pm »

MC10 is really good, I like how it has come along.

MC11 already looks like it is going to address many of my higher priority improvements (relating to the database and large libraries). YAY! I can once again begin to get excited about new builds.  :)

I can't wait to upgrade, but at this point I am a bit hesitant.
What kind of problem will it be to 'step-back' to MC10 if I have difficulties?
. . . the game is rigged

LonWar

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2004, 02:53:39 pm »

Not sure I understand how thinks work, Can you explaine?

Thanks
-

pank2002

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 03:06:47 pm »

So, version 10 will die with .145?

I can't decide how I feel about this.  I have owned v10 since the beta (originally since v8), so I have had a lot of time with v10, but I think it was 'officially' released less than 6 weeks ago.  It seems that now it's done.  Is that long enough?  I dont' know.

I was really hoping for a lot more improvements to the image/video side of MC.  Instead it seems to be moving into pretty much unrelated (NOT MEDIA) ground.

Is version 11 going to address the hundreds of requests for improvements we have been making for months now, or is the focus pretty much just the new document handling stuff?  I hope not.  I don't mind the document stuff (I can't imagine I'll ever use it), but this is a media app, right?  right?

Does anyone at J River copy/save/print the hundreds of requests for improvements?  It seems like when it slows down, Jim asks us for suggestions again.  That's great, I love that they want our input to make a better product, but wouldn't it be easier for J River to just keep a master list, so they can just tick off the completed itmes, and continually prioritize the not completed stuff so there's always a list of what the customers want to see.  Seems like we are contantly providing suggestions that either get implemented right away (thanks!!), or get lost in the forums, and never get done, unless someone constantly nags/reminds.

It just seems like there should be a better way.

Also, I thought I read that Jim said the document stuff would be a seperate app, for a seperate fee.  Does this mean v11 is that new app, and work on v10 (or whatever it will be called w/no document stuff) is on the back burner?

Any guidance would be nice.

Thanks guys.

PS  Any change of making MC run as a web app, so I can use it from internet cafe's around the world, after I sell my laptop?

Hey I'm with you Justin. I really don't need the document handling. Sure, I could use it with variues papers, but a folder per paper works well enough for me. I really hope the document handling will break off into it own 'extra' feature as I have no or littile use for it. MC is my media player. Better picture handling would also be nice, as it is now, it dosen't work for me.

I don't hope this document handling will take over, there's a lot of other things that could be improved in the world's greates media player
Music is life... the rest is details.
Here is a security related website: secubi.dk

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2004, 03:58:33 pm »

Major Problem and help wanted:

I installed the latest beta version of 11 and in the options selected associate all file types with MC. Now here's the big problem: My computer started launching a bunch of mjextman.exe files (roughly always 20 instances running). I tried to uninstall MC but nothing happens. After I rebooted my computer I realized that Media Jukebox.exe was gone but all other MC files were still there.

So now comes the fun part, to prevent the cpu overlod I renamed mjextman.exe to extman1.exe. I also emptied the MC folder to start with a clean install. When I try to run MediaCenter100146.exe, it tells me media jukebox.exe couldn't be found... I'm basically stuck now. All .exe files are associated with MC and MC is missing...

What can I do? But most importantly, check MC's file association settings.

-Cascius

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2004, 07:41:51 pm »

Hey I'm with you Justin. I really don't need the document handling. Sure, I could use it with variues papers, but a folder per paper works well enough for me. I really hope the document handling will break off into it own 'extra' feature as I have no or littile use for it. MC is my media player. Better picture handling would also be nice, as it is now, it dosen't work for me.

I don't hope this document handling will take over, there's a lot of other things that could be improved in the world's greates media player

I feel the same way.  As a DJ using MC... I have no needs for document handling.  I hope there will be a way to turn off this feature.  I would hate to see menus and tree information cluttered with non-music related text.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2004, 08:03:22 pm »

Major Problem and help wanted:

I installed the latest beta version of 11 and in the options selected associate all file types with MC. Now here's the big problem: My computer started launching a bunch of mjextman.exe files (roughly always 20 instances running). I tried to uninstall MC but nothing happens. After I rebooted my computer I realized that Media Jukebox.exe was gone but all other MC files were still there.

So now comes the fun part, to prevent the cpu overlod I renamed mjextman.exe to extman1.exe. I also emptied the MC folder to start with a clean install. When I try to run MediaCenter100146.exe, it tells me media jukebox.exe couldn't be found... I'm basically stuck now. All .exe files are associated with MC and MC is missing...

What can I do? But most importantly, check MC's file association settings.

-Cascius

That's kind of a bad one.

Can you edit this registry key to remove the MC mention:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe

If that doesn't work, maybe start another thread, and we'll keep brainstorming.

And we'll get this fixed in tomorrow's build.  Sorry for the hassles.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2004, 08:18:35 pm »

Thanks Matt, but unfortunately that didn't work. (Regedit is an EXE file, lol) Anyway, I'll just reinstall/fix XP tonight while going to the premiere of a film i worked on. :P I'm anxious to see how it turned out...

Thanks again,

-Cascius

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2004, 10:13:24 pm »

As a DJ using MC...

Speaking of that.  I would love to see MC become more DJ / VJ user friendly.  It's great for managing, organizing, and playing music or video.  I would like to see some more DJ type functionality implemented into MC.  I am not a DJ, although I'm sure it'd be pretty fun to give it a go, but things like beatmatching, intensity management (maybe a rolling curve of predetermined moods), video or visualizations able to be preset to playlists (and burned to disc), just to name a few, would give everyone the ability to think of their music in new and different ways, I think.  Fun too!

I'm all for branching out in new ways, but I still think there are many new paths that can be taken along the already well established Media Center roadway.

Please don't let the document thing stop development of media management, it's why we own Media Center.
pretend this is something funny

Cindy_B

• World Citizen
  • I Love My MC !
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2004, 12:26:38 am »

As a DJ using MC...

Speaking of that.  I would love to see MC become more DJ / VJ user friendly.  It's great for managing, organizing, and playing music or video.  I would like to see some more DJ type functionality implemented into MC.  I am not a DJ, although I'm sure it'd be pretty fun to give it a go, but things like beatmatching, intensity management (maybe a rolling curve of predetermined moods), video or visualizations able to be preset to playlists (and burned to disc), just to name a few, would give everyone the ability to think of their music in new and different ways, I think.  Fun too!

I'm all for branching out in new ways, but I still think there are many new paths that can be taken along the already well established Media Center roadway.

Please don't let the document thing stop development of media management, it's why we own Media Center.

Yes, I agree 100%.  I believe JRiver should start attacking a good selection of the many "wish lists" created since the start of MC before taking on any new ventures.

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2004, 12:56:18 am »

Not sure I understand how thinks work, Can you explaine?

Thanks

It's not clear to me too...
If this mean typing <[Text]="Some text inside an imported document"> , it don't work...
I think .doc files are binary ones, so searching inside from MC will mean that :
(a) MC understand this format ?
(b) the document is read and put (duplicated) inside the library ?

Doing so with OpenOffice files will be really simpler (they are xml based), are you planning to handle theses files?
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2004, 02:25:36 am »

All quick time movies I have cause MC11 to crash while they play fine in MC10.

Returning back to MC10 (from 11) causes MC to say on launch "the library you're trying to load is too new, please upgrade..." (or something like that).
Then MC shutsdown and leave a lock on the folder containing the library, making restore of the library less easy.

Media Center Registered 11.0.5 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1  (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2382 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 193 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000 (xpclient.010817-1148) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

Ripping /   Drive F: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive F: SAMSUNG  CDRW/DVD SM-352B   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:48  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

LonWar

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2004, 09:49:45 am »

Importing File:

I have 35 .rtf files, Only 3 of them are being imported.
I renamed them to .doc and the same 3 are being imported??

-
Pages: [1]   Go Up