INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Problems and Last Exit Problem  (Read 1715 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
TV Problems and Last Exit Problem
« on: June 15, 2004, 09:10:49 am »

1: Although I have Remember Media Mode & Last Exit View turned on, MC will about 2/3's of the time, not load in the last view I used.  It seems to be totally random.  Sometimes it comes up right but most of the time it does not.  Usually, MC will load in a reduced size in the top half of the screen.  I always maximize MC but it most often refuses to load that way the next time.  No, I do not have Full Screen View selected as the Last Exit View should work correctly, but it does not.

2: About 2/3's of the time (or so) when I double-click on the TV window to maximize it, only the top left ¼ of the TV screen is showing in the top left corner of my monitor; the rest of the window is completely missing.  I can double-click on it again & it will reduce back almost to the original size with the complete TV image visible; however the window is not the same as it was before I tried to maximize it... the bottom of the window has moved up about ½ inch, the rest of the window is where it was before the maximize attempt. I will then double-click on it again but it still will only show the top left ¼ corner of the TV screen with the rest of the TV screen missing.  The only way I can get the full-screen TV back to a normal complete image is to close down MC & re-load it, the problem will most often (but not always) go away for that session; it will most often (but not always) return in the next Win XP boot up.  Also note that this only happens when the TV is in a window & not attached to MC.    

3: In TV full screen mode with the top & bottom bars hidden, the bars will flicker on then back off from time to time.  This happens several times during a TV session for no apparent reason.

These three very frustrating problems have been on-going for many, many versions (and many, many months) & make TV viewing an erratic thing at best.  My only other choice it to stop using MC for my TV as three problems make it very hard to use MC for TV viewing.

I have reported on these three problems on three other occasions.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:3 Big Requests
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 09:34:45 am »

What TV card?

Is the TV your second monitor?

It's possible the problems are driver related.  Did you try a google search?

Does anyone else see these problems?

DocLotus

Re:TV Problems and Last Exit Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 10:41:53 am »

Hi Jim;

Thanks for responding. ;D

The TV card is an ATI A-I-W 9600 Pro.

Only have one monitor for both the computer & TV.

Always keep all drivers updated to latest for...
* ATI Video.
* ATI Media Center software.
* Win XP Pro updates.

Some of the problems I also had with my old ATI A-I-W 7000 Video/TV card especially item 3... In TV full screen mode with the top & bottom bars hidden, the bars will flicker on then back off from time to time.  This happens several times during a TV session for no apparent reason.  This one is an oldie & has been on-going ever since I can remember using MC 9 & 10.

Items 1 & 2 are somewhat newer (about 4 or 5 months old).  Not really sure, but items 1 & 2 may have started around the time I updated from the ATI A-I-W 7000 to the ATI A-I-W 9600 Pro.

Don't know if you recall or not but I (and several other users) had a lot of jerkiness problems with the TV using the 9600 Pro video card (but only with latest video driver) which was finally somewhat resolved by turning off the Crop Edges in MC TV Configuration (the Crop Edges is still not working either).

Is it possible that you can get your hands on an ATI A-I-W 9600 video card ?  This is now ATI's best selling card.  It is very different from their older cards (has FM radio tuner on the TV card).  The TV module is smaller & works somewhat differently from earlier ATI TV tuner cards (the FM is integrated into the TV & requires the TV to work).

MC needs to have all functions working correctly with this new card.  I am thinking that some of these weird problems may be due to the new card.  I also believe that all new ATI A-I-W cards will have the new TV \ FM tuner module on them as that was the most requested new feature people wanted on new A-I-W cards.

A usual none of these problems show up when using the ATI software.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 09:08:19 am »

2: About 2/3's of the time (or so) when I double-click on the TV window to maximize it, only the top left ¼ of the TV screen is showing in the top left corner of my monitor; the rest of the window is completely missing.  I can double-click on it again & it will reduce back almost to the original size with the complete TV image visible; however the window is not the same as it was before I tried to maximize it... the bottom of the window has moved up about ½ inch, the rest of the window is where it was before the maximize attempt. I will then double-click on it again but it still will only show the top left ¼ corner of the TV screen with the rest of the TV screen missing.  The only way I can get the full-screen TV back to a normal complete image is to close down MC & re-load it, the problem will most often (but not always) go away for that session; it will most often (but not always) return in the next Win XP boot up.  Also note that this only happens when the TV is in a window & not attached to MC.    
I am running ATI AIW 9600 PRO and do not have any display problem except when the display option "Desktop Resolution" is NOT chosen.
3: In TV full screen mode with the top & bottom bars hidden, the bars will flicker on then back off from time to time.  This happens several times during a TV session for no apparent reason.
The tool bars come back on mouse movement. Maybe small vibration of your desk/house/the Earth causes the mouse to move slightly.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 10:45:01 am »

Hi  Yaobing;

I always run Desktop Resolution.

As far as the mouse moving, I can see that happening on a light rickety desk with a conventional mouse, but I do not believe that is happening in this case because...

* My desktop does not move at all; it is a large, 6 foot heavy 300+ pound teak desk; it just does not move.

* I am using a Logitech TrackMan Marble+ trackball; even if the desktop were to move (which it does not) the track ball would not move.  I can actually pick up the mouse & move it around and there is no trackball movement. I just tried that with MC TV playing with the bars hidden & they did not reappear until I actually moved the trackball.  That is one thing I really like about big, heavy trackballs... they stay put until you actually move them (no accidental movement).

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »

* I am using a Logitech TrackMan Marble+ trackball; even if the desktop were to move (which it does not) the track ball would not move.  I can actually pick up the mouse & move it around and there is no trackball movement. I just tried that with MC TV playing with the bars hidden & they did not reappear until I actually moved the trackball.  That is one thing I really like about big, heavy trackballs... they stay put until you actually move them (no accidental movement).

The trackball must make a huge difference. For me any slight movement, such as walking on the floor with heavy footing, banging on the desk etc., would bring back the tool bars. Lifting up the mouse triggers the event every time for me! My trackball must be too light :).  And desk stability too. Well I just do not know any other possible triggers. This is actually in Matt's realm.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Stebajo

• World Citizen
  • Every move you'll make I'll be here with you
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 04:53:24 pm »

Don't know if you recall or not but I (and several other users) had a lot of jerkiness problems with the TV using the 9600 Pro video card (but only with latest video driver) which was finally somewhat resolved by turning off the Crop Edges in MC TV Configuration (the Crop Edges is still not working either).

Have you tried to enable 'Closed Caption' with Crop Edges?

I own an AIW9800pro and this fixed Crop Edges issue (jerkiness problems).

Then 'Desktop Resolution' is not the better, like Yaobing said, try 640x480x32 and you'll probably get the better full screen view.

Personally I got the best 3D performance with Omega driver:

http://www.omegacorner.com/

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 06:48:02 pm »

Hi Stebajo;

Just tried you suggestion of Closed Caption with Crop Edges combination and yes it does stop the jerkiness but it also puts Closed Captions on the screen which I do not want so I had to turn them both off again to get rid of the jerkiness.

This is some more information that I did not previously know about and adds another piece to the Crop Edges puzzle... thanks.

Seems that if the jerkiness goes away with Closed Captions turned on then JRiver could figure out what the problem is with only the Crop Edges turned on.

The full screen view TV is not a resolution problem but that ¾ of the TV screen is totally missing.  All I often get is only about ¼ of the top left corner of the TV image in the top left corner of my monitor; the rest of the screen is totally gone with only the desktop showing.  It is like someone took scissors to a photograph & cut out 75 percent of the image leaving only the top left corner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up