INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is There a way to to make two music  (Read 1580 times)

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
Is There a way to to make two music
« on: November 13, 2002, 08:47:18 am »

folders have the same music in them.  I have a my music folder on my work pc that has different music on it that a I have download off of  emusic then on my home pc I would life to be able to have the same music on both machines the transfer would be by the way of zip disks 250 megs each.

Please help
So much music so little time!

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Is There a way to to make two music
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2002, 08:59:18 am »

Best way I can think of is to use MS Backup with the zip disks. Do a backup on the host machine......then do a restore on the target machine. Your first backup would be huge but after that....much more reasonable. This way guarantee's that the contents of the 2 directories are identical.

Xenno

clarification: There are many types of backups...but only 2 apply here. Use a Normal backup up for the initial set. Use the Incremental backup for all sets done afterwards.

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2002, 09:19:24 am »

But if there are the same albums on both machines wont it over right them.

I just want to synarise (sp) them.

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2002, 09:29:07 am »

Not if you use incremental backups. It would just copy the new files onto the Zips

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2002, 10:05:07 am »

>But if there are the same albums on both machines wont it over right them

Yes...it will on the first restore that you do (though you can tell MSB not to). You'll have to decide which machine's directory is the master...and which is the slave. All changes to files in the master will be reflected on your slave. But that should be OK because you wanted total sychronization between the two.

For simplicities sake...
If you know your master contains everything you want for both machines, then I would delete all the files out of your music directory on the slave and restore the first Normal backup set. This sets them both to the same baseline. Any changes made to the master will be reflected on the slave...but of course, the reverse is not true.

Xenno

PS: I assume your running the same OS on both machines? (or at least from the same family...such as NT/W2k/XP OR W9x/ME)

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2002, 10:12:05 am »

Home machine has most of the music on it but the work machine has music that I have downloaded from emusic that is not on the home pc.  As for type of os Home is XP Pro and Work is win2k sp3.

I would like the music from the work pc copied to the home pc then the music from the home would be copied to the work pc.  Then when I downloaded the new music from emusic I would like that copied to the home pc.

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2002, 10:23:25 am »

OK...the backup sets produced by either OS are compatible with each other.

Like I said though....they both need to start from the same baseline. Don't delete then. Do a backup on both machines...then restore each Normal set to the other machine respectively. That will take care of the baseline. I would let MSB overwrite on duplicate files. From then on you can use Incremental. Your going to have fun keeping track of what set came off of what computer, though.

Xenno

WolfWalker

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2002, 10:48:30 am »

Very true but this is going to be fun.

Thanks for your help never thought about doing a back up before to bad the briefcase is not around any more for win2k and xp
Pages: [1]   Go Up