INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1983 US Granada Invasion Pictures  (Read 2109 times)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
1983 US Granada Invasion Pictures
« on: June 15, 2004, 08:20:42 pm »

If you want to view pictures of the 1983 US Granada Invasion here is a link of my pictures.

Some of them are good some bad, taken with a 110 film camera

some of the nice clear water and beaches, New airport (now old) under construction, city and ship traffic\port life.

http://www2.spartasoft.com:8080/Granada/HTML1/index.html
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
Re:1983 US Granada Invasion Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 09:21:04 pm »

Interesting.....hmmmm, I wonder, were you guys using Land Rover Defenders on that "excursion"?    
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 05:40:12 am »

We used our equipment and we also took the USSR equipment that the cuban army had there, we just painted "USA" on the side so we would not shoot our self.

At that point in the 82nds history we had very little vehs to drive around due to the 82nd was\is more of a light fighter type unit.

This does make it harder to deploy the divsion within 18 hours (the 82nd standard). this is also due to the lack of aircraft by the airforce, but the new C17 Aircraft has helped a bit.

Retired now so i don't keep up with all that stuff.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 12:24:04 pm »

Interesting. I went there on holiday last year. It was a nice place to visit.

Heres a photo which I think was taken from nearly the same place as one of yours. The weather was a bit better though.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 12:29:44 pm »

Interesting. I went there on holiday last year. It was a nice place to visit.

Heres a photo which I think was taken from nearly the same place as one of yours. The weather was a bit better though.

yea it was nice till about 2pm and then it rained all afternoon and night (buckets)

it does look close to the same place.

the beaches are nice but it takes a long trip to go to the nearest wall-mart.

Fayetteville, NC, USA

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 02:40:58 pm »

Hmmmm ..... What was it good for? Besides the nice pictures?

And:
U.S.             19 dead (officially).
Grenada     49 dead and several hundred wounded.
Cuba           29 dead and over a hundred wounded.

http://www.historyguy.com/Grenada.html

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 03:32:05 pm »

I cant answer your Edwin Starr question. But I can tell you what it was like in summer 2003. The island is geared up for tourism, at least on the beaches around the capital. Granted I wasnt there at peak time, but there was obviously plenty of unused hotel capacity - it was eerily quiet. I kept wondering where the tourists were, as we had the beaches etc all to ourself. It seemed like a place trying to invent itself as a quality destination to rake in the dollars - everything was there, but having been to Barbados a few years earlier Grenada seemed about 10 years behind. Dont get me wrong - it was great, everyone was very friendly and helpful, just not so efficient or ruthless at sucking money out of tourists as perhaps other more established places are.

One thing which really nagged at me was that most tourism is centred around the capital - drive out to the north of the island and, whilst the scenery was as interesting, the lack of beach resorts etc meant that we were driving through (seemingly) really poor places. Rough looking wooden shacks and people washing/bathing/drinking from water standpipes at the side of the road. This is the sort of thing that makes me feel awkward as a visitor driving through in my rented jeep. When we were there they were building a deepwater mooring in St Georges to accommodate Caribbean cruise ships - so that rich tourists dont have to get onto a rowing boat to disembark before walking along the jetty, buying tourist-style nutmeg from the 'Spice Island' and returning to their ship having 'done' Grenada. Good luck to them, but I cant see that this can do anything but concentrate the money around the harbour without doing anything for other areas.

I remember the 1983 invasion, but it was before I was old enough to appreciate the politics. Locals dont tell tourists too much about this kind of stuff. What I might feel about it now is irrelevant. But believe me, whatever the past, the place is doing well and worth a visit.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 05:13:11 pm »

lets stay away from the politics please

I was just posting some pictures for people to look at of a nice and now free island.
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up