INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Formatting the iHP from iRiver  (Read 3892 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Formatting the iHP from iRiver
« on: June 16, 2004, 03:32:52 am »

Guys,

After doing thousands of uploads and also manual deletion of files my iHP-140 got messy. A few MC10 versions ago you could see some "hidden" files which were made by the iHP-140. Now you can't see them anymore (actually they weren't of any use normally).

I decided to format because after deleting everything there seemed to be 5Gb of diskspace taken by some unknown files. Anyway I could not locate these strange files.

Format went okay and with MC I uploaded a few hundred songs. Upload proces does not crash MC anymore (that's to SteveG). With Moodlogic the database was updated. But after disconnecting from my PC and also after a hardware reset the player does not see any files on the system.

Any ideas how I can get it back to work. I use 1.40 U firmware. I guess it would be a good thinig if MC updated the database. Several tools are on the internet to do that. I don't trust the Moodlogic tool from iRiver. After looking at it I found out that all files in that database have the extension (1), why  ?

MarSies .....

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
Re:Formatting the iHP from iRiver
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2004, 11:46:45 am »

Got the problem fixed.

Without knowing XP formatted the drive to NTFS. The drive HAS TO BE  FAT32. It was a real problem to get it back to FAT32. Problem is that XP only formats FAT32 upto 32GB drives.

It was a struggle to find anything that can do the job. All programs on the Internet were demo's. Fortunately I own an old version of Partition Magic which did the trick after some other problems.

The drive can be formatted without problems if you want to clean up things. The device get's very warm though.

MarSies .....

falliers

• Recent member
  • bye..
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 12:01:29 am »

File deletes can end up in a recycle bin on the iRiver HD. That bin can take up considerable space .You need a tool to see that recycle bin, and then clear it out.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2004, 02:58:33 am »

That's what I also suspected, but it wasn't the recycle bin. When you use XP you can normally permanently delete those files. there are a few files you cannot see. Forgot the names. One of them has a "$" at the end of the name.

With Partition Magic I could see those files again. I'm only wondering now when FAT32 is so inefficient as a file system for drives above 32GB why iRiver does not decide to convert to NTFS. Also what is the best setting for formatting (cluster size).

Is there  a tool that can find out what would be the best possible cluster size. Then I could copy the music to my PC's harddisk, reformat with better specifications. That would be great  :D.

jimbojw

• Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 04:00:09 pm »

The reason why iRiver doesn't use the NTFS format is because the company doesn't want to sell out to Micro$oft.

M$ has never released the specifications for the NTFS file system, so Linux has a hard time writing to it (though there has been work done to use native Windows drivers to do so).

iRiver in general has a Linux friendly attitude, but a Windows based target market.  Therefor they have to use some filesystem that Windows supports (since M$ refuses to support ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc).   So they chose FAT32 so that everybody at least gets a shot even though that may mean that reformatting is a royal pain.

What they should do to compensate is include a utility that one can run from a PC that will reformat the drive to FAT32.  (Or build that functionality directly into the device - though this would be serious trouble for confused user that accidently delete all their data  :-[)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2004, 04:09:42 am »

jimbojw,

I totally agree with including a utility to reformat the player.
Maybe in hte future they will do so!

MarSies .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up