INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for Canopus DV encoder  (Read 4433 times)

slikvik

• World Citizen
Support for Canopus DV encoder
« on: June 21, 2004, 04:31:23 am »

Hi,

I have been using DV devices for TV in on my PC for a while now (First a panny camcorder throughput and now a Canopus DV encoder.) This is getting quite popular on the avforums because it give the best possible quality of video input.) Could you please add this as a compatible device in MC. Video appears for a spilt second before MC10 crashes.

The DV devices are WDM and they work in Showshifter, PowerVCR, iuVCR, WinDVR and Mainconcept PVR. could you  please add this as I don't want to use these programs.

Thanks

Vic

P.S as an addition, the ability to specify codecs for Recording and Timeshifting would be really cool.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re:Support for Canopus DV encoder
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004, 09:04:16 am »

There has been some support for DV device for a while. Do you use IEEE 1394 interface for linking your device to PC? That was what I used when I programmed MC TV for the DV support. I have a Sony Digital HandyCam that works fine with MC.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004, 09:12:17 am »

MC TV playback needs to be set to the right input.  It's similar to selecting a channel.  The name of the input can be edited in channel setup.

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004, 01:34:37 pm »

I cant get it to work either

In the options I have tried setting media center to set both of the available two options for input ("Input source" or "Tuner Channel") but it crashes the whole program after a second.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 03:42:33 am »

I get the same problem as Park. Hey, I'm glad it's actually supported - now to get it to work!!

Yes, I am going into the PC with a firewire port and it works on absolutey every program I have tried, like the ones mentioned above and things like Movie Maker and Media Player Classic.

I have added the Input as a channel, but I get a complete MC10 crash.

Regards

Vic

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 04:04:35 pm »

Ok I've got the DV device to play!! Basically if i try to add it as a channel it crashes. If i just leave it all blank and click play it works.... But here's the problem now......

There is no timeshift. Could this please be added? I think because it is essentially a video camera device, you get all the ffd ext device etc etc but now timeshift.

Also, I cannot get sound...(This is also going via the firewire.)

Regards

Vic

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 09:11:43 am »

Ok I've got the DV device to play!! Basically if i try to add it as a channel it crashes. If i just leave it all blank and click play it works.... But here's the problem now......

There is no timeshift. Could this please be added? I think because it is essentially a video camera device, you get all the ffd ext device etc etc but now timeshift.

Also, I cannot get sound...(This is also going via the firewire.)

Regards

Vic
Why would you need time-shifting when you have the camera in your hand?

Well, when using it as a camera, it may make some sense (but not a lot in my opinion) doing time-shifting. When using it as a VCR, you can just pause the device.

When I have time I will investigate the crash on start up (sorry but I have other duties that require my attention more urgently). Basically Media Center has not been properly tailored to run DV devices from the TV control.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 09:20:00 am »

Simply, I'm viewing TV sources through the DV encoder, not DV Tapes (its doesn't have play controls.)

Basically I am using it as a video in device just like the s-video in on say a All-In-Wonder (only 10 time better quality.)

If someone had their cable Tv going into the AIW then they would want timeshifting etc. This is what I have only my Digital TV is going into the DV instead of an AIW.

Regards

Vic

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 11:35:16 am »

Now I get it. I never thought of using DV device that way...

Time-shifting with DV will not work with current scheme because of DV format. I will have to take up this issue in the future.

slikvik

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 04:10:10 am »

Thanks Yaobing,

It's the one thing thats stopping me using MC for everything HTPC (well except for Theatre Mode, but thats another story!)

As I said, this seems to be getting quite popular because of the quality.

Regards

Vic
Pages: [1]   Go Up