INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Permanently Disable Autoeject  (Read 1382 times)

paulr

• Citizen of the Universe
  • nothing more to say...
OT - Permanently Disable Autoeject
« on: July 31, 2004, 01:10:46 pm »

Well, I just destroyed my Yamaha CRW-F1 CD-ROM drive because something caused the drive to autoeject without my knowledge.  I stood up and walked away and the tray caught on my pants leg and was ripped out of the drive...  And, I still don't know what caused the drive to open.

Autoeject is one of the most annoying things I can think of.  I can't think of a single reason for ever wanting it turned on.

Does anyone know of a setting (registry or otherwise) or a piece of software that will disable the autoeject feature permanently?

Also, since it will cost me almost as much in shipping to get it repaired by Yamaha, does anyone have any recommendations on a new drive?  Accuracy is more important than speed.  Two drives I have been looking at are the TEAC CD-W540E and the LiteOn LTR-40125S

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:OT - Permanently Disable Autoeject
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:49:00 pm »

I had that happen once and another person at work was able to fix the drive.  I don't remember whether it was a spring that came off or something just needed to be snapped back into place.

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 02:31:57 pm »

Well, I pulled the drive out and there is a broken gear and another small piece that I cannot figure out where it came from.  It may not be important though (it's tiny).  I am going to try some plastic glue on the gear and see if that won't fix it...

If not, recommendations on the most accurate drive are much appreciated!  :)

lee269

• sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 03:00:17 pm »

Sorry to hear about the accident - Ive been close to doing that a few times. Dont know how to turn off autoeject. Assuming you havent already got one, when my CD drive went south I replaced it with a DVD-RW (according to XP a LiteOn DVDRW LDW-851S) and I havent looked back. It was the first thing I saw in my local PC store, so Im no expert. Does CDs too - dunno about accuracy but MC reports 100% with secure rips. No complaints from me. Great for backups.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 03:08:53 pm »

drives are cheap now days
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LonWar

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 08:30:38 pm »

I used to have a Liteon... Wasn't bad but I was not really impressed...

I now have Plextor drives and wouldn't give them up for the world.... Very reliable and they have been able to rip ALL of my cd's   ;D
-

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 10:19:53 pm »

Now I am torn between getting my precious Yamaha fixed and getting a new drive.  :)

I have scratched the LiteOn off my list for various reasons...  I am now looking at either the Teac mentioned above, or the Plextor Premium.

I now have Plextor drives and wouldn't give them up for the world.

Yea, I know what you mean.  I used to only use Plextor back when I was a SCSI fanatic (I still am actually, but I can't afford it anymore).  Back when IDE CD writers made more coasters than usable discs. :)

modelmaker

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 11:03:36 pm »

I have a TDK CDRW4800B that I've been very happy with. I've had it about a year and a half.

I did the same thing to the door/tray, broke one of the guide tabs, glued it back together, works perfect. Fortunately I didn't break any gears.

I went into every burning ,ripping, player app on my computer and turned off all the "eject when done" options.

So far, so good.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up