INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Audible problem with iPod after MC sync.  (Read 6065 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
New Audible problem with iPod after MC sync.
« on: July 02, 2004, 08:31:12 pm »

I'm suddenely having problems with Audible files no longer playing on an iPod if the files are already on the iPod when I do a sync.  In other words, if I delete all the Audible files on the iPod and do a sync, they all play.  If I do another sync without changing any of the Audible files, they all STOP working on the iPod.  Just to clarify a bit furter, if I delete half the Audible files currently on my iPod and do a sync, only the ones that were deleted before the sync will play.  If I leave all these files on the iPod and then do another sync, NONE of them will play.

The only Audible files that will work on the iPod are the ones that were ADDED to the iPod as of the last sync.  Any subsequent sync "breaks" the Audible files that are already on the iPod.

Note:  This only happens when I eject the iPod and close/open MC in between syncs.  If I just do two syncs in row without ejecting the iPod or closing MC, the aa files still play.

I can't say for sure when this first showed up -- I updated this system to 149 only recently, but I don't remember what version it was before this.  I'm going to try installing an earlier version of MC to see if this will fix it.  Do I have to do anything special to do this -- i.e. I can just install an older version over a newer one, correct?

Thanks,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
Re:New Audible problem with iPod after MC sync.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 11:18:37 pm »

Okay -- I just went back to 145 and the problem went away.  Synching the iPod no longer breaks the Audible files that are already on it.  I'm planning to run the same tests on a whole other system and iPod and see if I get the same results, but at the moment it appears that somewhere between 145 and 149, iPod/Audible functionality was damaged in some way.

Thanks for looking into this,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 02:12:41 am »

I tried the tests on a second iPod and got the exact same results.  I don't think you can sync an iPod over Media Server (someone from JRiver correct me if I'm wrong about this), so I can't test this on another system at this time.

Larry

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 02:41:23 pm »

I can confirm the same problem with 149.  I tried a few different things that may shed some light on the problem.  

Action: Synched 2 Audible files and ejected
Result: Files play fine

Action: Syched 1 more Audible files and ejected
Result: New file plays, but the other 2 files don't play (when you hit play on the file on the iPod, the iPod doesn't do anything, doesn't even switch to the play screen, it just sits there)

Action: Deleted just the playlist I have that houses all Audible files (did not delete the Audible files themselves) from the iPod and ejected
Result: None of the 3 files play

Action: Deleted the Audible files and resynched with the Audible playlist (with all three files in it)
Result: All files play fine

Action: Docked the iPod and immediately ejected the iPod
Result: None of the files play anymore

Hope this can be fixed soon...

On another note I my Handheld Progress  percentage in the Action Window counts up to about 20% and then counts backwards to about -25% and back up and back down... until the sync is done...

Gautam

P.S. My iPod is running 2.2 if it matters.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 04:23:15 pm »

Thanks for the information gbdesai.

One of my iPods has the latest firmware, the other has the next one back, so I can confirm that this is not specific to the latest firmware.

Larry

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 10:12:47 pm »

Ok.  I got all of the version between 145 and 149.  146 works, 148 doesn't work, trying 147 now.

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 10:21:00 pm »

147 works fine.  Problem was introduced by version 10.0.148.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 03:57:35 am »

Thanks for taking the time to try all those releases -- I'm sure this will be a big help to JRiver in determining what caused this issue.  I took a look at the 148 release thread, and one of the fixes specifically related to the iPod:

"3. Fixed: iPod Last Played and Play Count data will not be corrupted when iTunes is opened and then a subsequent sync to MC is initiated."

Given that this specifically dealt with iPod synching, I'm wondering if this change somehow broke Audible support on the iPod.

If someone from JRiver is reading this, please let us know just so we aren't wondering whether or not you know about this issue.

Thanks,

Larry

gbdesai

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 10:08:03 am »

Yeah, it's weird that simply attaching the iPod and ejecting would mess things up, but it does with 148 and 149.

SteveG

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 10:18:04 am »

Please try the next build of MC (should be out today) and let me know if the problem persists.

Thanks,

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 05:31:49 pm »

Please try the next build of MC (should be out today) and let me know if the problem persists.

Thanks,

Steve

I'll watch for the new update and let you know as soon as I try it.  Thanks for looking into this.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 04:23:30 pm »

I haven't had time to test this yet -- does 150 address this issue?

Thanks,

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2004, 05:12:20 pm »

Larry,

Yes, it should.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 05:15:59 am »

Steve,

I just tested this, and this version does NOT fix this issue -- a sync will prevent any audible files that are already on the iPod from playing.  If you're using an iPod with audible files, you need to use version 147 or earlier.

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 10:08:32 am »

Larry,

I have retested Audible transfers to my iPod using 10.0.150 and all files play fine for me here including newly purchased content.  Can you try a reintialize and see if the problem persists?

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2004, 03:03:02 pm »

Steve,

Did you try doing a second sync right after the first one without deleting any files?  After the sync that actually puts the files on the iPod, they all play fine.  It's not until the NEXT sync (i.e. a subsequent sync that does NOT put any new audible files on the iPod) that the audible files stop working.

In other words, it's not the newly purchased content that's the problem -- rather, it's the content that was already on the iPod when you do a sync that stops working.

I'll re-initializing my iPod tonight and see what happens, but in the mean time, could you confirm that the aa files still worked after a second sync that added no new content?  Also, could you confirm that this was "aa" content and not the iTunes version of Audible files?

Thanks,

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2004, 05:01:35 pm »

Larry,

Yes, as I recall I did try a second sync and it worked fine.  I will retry it tomorrow. The files I used were purchased through Audible's site, not iTunes. Lets pick up there tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve

SteveG

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2004, 09:20:04 am »

Larry,

After some more testing, this appears to work fine for me.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2004, 03:31:47 am »

Larry,

After some more testing, this appears to work fine for me.

Steve

I reinitialized and tried it.  I did a sync and then another one, and the files played, so I thought that it was fixed.  However, I then deleted a couple of the Audible files and did a new sync, and only the files that I had deleted (which were just re-loaded to the iPod by the last sync) worked.  None of the other Audible files (the ones that remained on the iPod) would play.

I'm doing a full restore at the moment, after which I'll do another MC initialization and sync.  I'll disconnect the iPod, reconnect, and do another sync.  If this works I'll delete a few Audible files and see what happens.  I'll report back my results.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2004, 06:47:46 am »

Steve,

Still not working.  I just did a full restore, followed by an MC initialize and a new full sync.  I then disconnected the iPod, closed MC, and checked the Audible songs on the iPod, which all played fine.  I reconnected the iPod, started MC, and did a new sync of the exact same playlist without changing anything (i.e. this sync would not add or delete any files from the iPod.)  After this sync, none of the Audible files would play on the iPod.

Did you disconnect the iPod, close MC, reconnect the iPod, and restart MC when you tested this?  When I simply ran two syncs in a row without disconnecting or closing MC, the files still played.  When I disconnected and restarted MC in between the two syncs, however, the new sync broke Audible file playback.  I bet that if you try this procedure exactly as I described, it will fail for you as well.

Also, a while back there were some Audible/iPod/MC issues that ONLY came up if a lot of files were on the iPod -- i.e. tests with only a few Audible files on a fairly empty iPod did not show the problem.  Was your iPod fairly full?

Given that this problem does NOT happen with 147 or earlier on this system, and given that it happens with BOTH my iPods, it seems to indicate that this is still an issue with MC.

There was no mention of a fix for this in the release notes for the last build -- are you sure they addressed this issue with 150?

Thanks again for looking into this,

Larry

hgf

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2004, 12:09:52 pm »

I've been having a similar problem with getting aa files to play on my ipod and I'm using MC 9.1!  I recently downloaded the latest updater for the Windows ipod, 1.4 and there may be some connection between that and the problem others are experiencing.  There's a thread on apple's ipod forum

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@99.wAerams6rFf.4@.6895a622

on the subject.

SteveG

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2004, 12:55:34 pm »

I have found and fixed what is the problem with Audible playback in MC 10 in the scenario that Larry details. I will make this available later today.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2004, 02:47:29 pm »

Thanks Steve -- I'll watch the MC forum for the new version.

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2004, 04:26:05 pm »

Everyone,

To get the fix for Audible playback, please click on the following link to install the latest hh_portable.dll which should correct the problem.  This will be included in all future builds of MC 10 and 11.

http://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/tmp/hh_portable.mjp

Thanks,

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2004, 05:34:45 pm »

Steve,

The new hh_portable.dll fixed this issue (thanks), but it also created a new one.  Synching is now erasing Audible bookmarks on aa files that were NOT newly added.  Before, Audible files that were already on the iPod would retain their bookmards across new syncs.  This is a necessary feature when dealing with long (8 or 10 hour) programs because it can be practically impossible to find your place again unless you specifically write it down.

Retaining bookmarks across syncs has always one of MC's big selling points to me.

I'll start a new thread on this.

Thanks,

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up