INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: controlling AV through MC?  (Read 1447 times)

rt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
controlling AV through MC?
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:40:17 am »

I just noticed the following product:

http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_006.html

The myblaster product would allow me to control my stereo from my PC. Is there a plugin available for MC? The producers say the source code is available.

Rolf

jleerigby

Re:controlling AV through MC?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 04:05:48 am »

Look no further than www.netremote.org

NetRemote is tightly integrated with MC.  It allows you to control MC, your PC and your AV equipment from a handheld pocket PC or you can run it on your PC itself.  The USBUIRT (www.usbuirt.com) is one of the best products available for sending the IR.  Do a search here for netremote and check out the netremote forum for more info.

rt

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 11:41:02 am »

I am aware of the netremote product. However, the device you mention does not have RF capability (AV needs to be in line of sight of the device). The device I mentioned is the same price but also offers RF capability. So there is no support?

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:44:34 pm »

You don't need crappy RF functionality.  I control my AV equipment with IR from any room in the house via my WIFI enabled Pocket PC.  I can operate my equipment within 800 metres.  

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:57:44 pm »

jlee, excuse my ignorance, how exatcly can you control ir with a pocet pc i have a palm right now but i may be tempted to switch to a pocket pc if it can control AV equipment. dont you have to have a line of sight in IR?

thx alot

Zeltak

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:58:10 pm »

Hi JLee,
Can you give me a link to the Pocket PC... I'm not really sure what it is,...

Thanks,
-

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 02:02:20 pm »

jlee, excuse my ignorance, how exatcly can you control ir with a pocet pc i have a palm right now but i may be tempted to switch to a pocket pc if it can control AV equipment. dont you have to have a line of sight in IR?

thx alot

Zeltak

Check out the NetRemote forums and Mastiff's web site (link in his signature both here and at NR).  Basically the PPC talks to a PC on the network via a wireless connection.  the PC has the USBUIRT plugged in to it.  The USBUIRT sends out the IR signals to your AV equipment.  Therefore the USBUIRT needs to be within reasonable distance of your AV equipment but the ppc does not.  

To do this you either do what I've done which is to build a HTPC and put it in your living room near the other equipment like this (see bottom left) or you do like mastiff and put your AV equipment away in a spare room near your PC and control it remotely from your ppc.  

I can sit in the garden and operate MC and at the same time switch my amp over to the speaker source for my garden.  Then I can switch the sound source on the AMP from MC to digital radio or Sky television all using my ppc.  Some of the ppc buttons result in IR signals being sent out by the USBUIRT, some result in messages direct to MC and some result in messages to Girder (this is a must have app that can control and automate just about anything on your PC).

Hi JLee,
Can you give me a link to the Pocket PC... I'm not really sure what it is,...
Thanks,

Do a google search for the device I use which is the iPaq 4150.  Here's some pictures of my NetRemote panels.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 05:53:45 pm »

JLee

Slight change of subject but i just looked at your PC. Would you mind posting the specs. Im particularly interested in hearing how you keep it quiet given how close it is to the TV.

pip

bigfoot

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 01:14:00 am »

JLee,
Is it possible with your setup to control a set-top cable box using MC's Media Scheduler?

What I'm wondering is, could I use MC to record a TV show at a scheduled time by setting the channel on my set-top cable box automatically.  I'm guessing this would require Girder to interact with Scheduler to control an IR blaster.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 02:44:32 am »

JLee,
Is it possible with your setup to control a set-top cable box using MC's Media Scheduler?

What I'm wondering is, could I use MC to record a TV show at a scheduled time by setting the channel on my set-top cable box automatically.  I'm guessing this would require Girder to interact with Scheduler to control an IR blaster.
I've not used Media Scheduler.  Your guessing sounds about right but there may be other devices / methods you could use with Girder to schedule an action to be triggered at an appropriate time.  You could ask this at the NetRemote or AVS forum as I'm sure someone will be doing it.  I don't need it as we have Sky plus in the UK which kicks the *** off any PC type scheduling.

JLee

Slight change of subject but i just looked at your PC. Would you mind posting the specs. Im particularly interested in hearing how you keep it quiet given how close it is to the TV.

pip
This was quite difficult.  I have an Accent case with accoustic matting all around the inside cover.  Radeon 9600 Pro with Zolman Heat Pipe to replace attached fan.  XP2200+ with a super quiet Global Win fan and Q Fan control on the mobo to reduce fan speed when temps are lower.  One quiet maxtor drive with fluid bearings (MP3's are stored on a 250GB drive upstairs).  No Case Fans.  Quiet power supply.  I tried a fanless power supply but had to remove it because it was like putting a boiling hot radiator in your case.  The whole thing is fairly quiet but not silent.  I can't hear it when the TV is on or music is playing but I can hear a hum when everything else is off.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 09:53:58 am »

JLee

Thanks, will look into all that.

pip

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 02:22:34 pm »

A slight correction, J.! I don't have my AV equipment stashed away, I have that in the rooms I listen to the music in. What I have stashed away are the two main computers - the HTPC that also serves three zones (zones that are never used when the HT has a movie showing) and the Internet server/media server that gives me the rest of my zones. But the MP3s are in my HTPC, the load when playing anything from it's harddisks doesen't even register on my P4 3.0C @ 3.8 (100 % stable on air cooling, as I always brag about!). On my website most of my setup is detailed. And the USB-UIRT has external IR emitters cabled to several rooms.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up