INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a IPOD & Media Centre FAQ  (Read 5273 times)

psionet

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Is there a IPOD & Media Centre FAQ
« on: July 07, 2004, 03:19:58 am »

Hi Guys

I was wondering if there is a FAQ about using an IPOd with MC?

I would like to know if there are any disadvantages in using it and also what are the advantages over iTunes.

Are there things I need to be care of etc? Can I load audio books and other file types

Many Thanks

Dave

IanG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Is there a IPOD & Media Centre FAQ
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 03:53:58 am »

There's a "tips" thread in the Portable Digital Devices forum - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8

Ian G.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 04:49:07 am »

In a nutshell, MC's advantage over iTunes when it comes to the iPod is the same advantage that MC has in general -- incredible flexibilty and configurabilty.  Not only is MC more suited to "unusual" situations such as managing 2 iPods on the same system, it offers multiple ways of doing such things.  At first I used a series of Smartlists to manage two seperate iPod lists, but after a while it occured to me that the same functionality could more elegantly be realized by using custom fields and view schemes.  I did not find iTunes this flexible for this sort of thing.

The thing about MC that impresses me is it can pretty much do whatever I can think of, and it can often do these things in more than one way.  I'm always running into situations where I find myself asking "I wish it could do such and such" only to find out that it CAN do that.  iTunes might have some advantages, but when I tried it I found myself constantly wanting to go back to MC.  I considered iTunes when it came out, but it simply didn't have the flexibility and power of MC, and I ended up going back to MC.

I use MC to load Audible.com audiobooks on both my iPods and they work fine (just use the 147 build until the 150 or later build comes out.)  The iPod will reflect the tag changes you make to aa files, and the Audible bookmarks are saved on the iPod until the file is actually deleted (i.e. you can continue to sync it without loosing your existing bookmarks.)

The only caveat with using MC and the iPod is with downloads from iTunes.com, but there is a workaround for this.  You need to take a look in the "portable digital players" forum for details.  The bottom line is that after using both programs, I prefer MC.

Larry

psionet

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 06:05:15 am »

Thanks Larry

You have been most helpful.  Is there a problem with build 149?

I have quite a few songs that I have downloaded from iTunes so will look for the work around to the probelm.  Can I upgrade the ipod to the latest software version?

Thanks again

Dave

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 08:44:51 am »

10.0.149 (6/18/04)
... 2. Fixed: MC could cut off the ends of tracks in some cases. (introduced in 10.0.146) ...
In my case this bug actually truncated some of the files on my hard disk when I converted them to another format (the biggest chop was 48 seconds). I had the problem with v. 10.0.148. I didn't install versions 146-147 so I don't know if the bug is there too. I also don't know if this happened to others.

Edit
This is not an iPod specific bug, but if you convert your files to a different format for mobile use (e.g. from ape to mp3) it might truncate the files. So I suggest using v. 10.0.145 if you have problems with 10.0.149 or waiting until the next version is out.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 10:07:18 am »

Dave,

The workaround for iTunes files is to copy one AAC file one time to iPod using iTunes. After this, all subsequent AAC files should play on iPod if transferred with MC until you fully format your iPod in which case you would need to transfer one file one time again. You can upgrade the iPod without problem.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 01:14:01 pm »

Is there a problem with build 149?

There is an issue with 148 and 149 where Audible files transferred to the iPod stop working after a subsequent sync.  According to reports this problem was introduced with build 148 -- I'm currently using 145 without this problem, and someone else reported that versions 146 and 147 work fine as well.  JRiver said that this should be fixed in the next build after 149, which is due out any day.

Here is the thread discussing this issue:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=22304

Larry

psionet

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 02:22:28 am »

Thanks again Larry

Am I right in thinking that you can only use iTunes or MC, not both together?  You need to format the Ipod before using MC don't you?

Finally can you transfer files manually or do you need to auto sync everytime you connect

Cheers Dave

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 08:30:02 am »

Dave,

It is best to not go back and forth between the two. It is also best to initialize the iPod in MC.  You can transfer files manually by drag and dropping the files on the iPod Action Window at the lower left of MC.

Steve

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 06:31:37 am »

Finally can you transfer files manually or do you need to auto sync everytime you connect.

As Steve said, you can manually add songs, but I find it's much easier to manage a list in MC to sync to my iPod.  I've never added songs manually -- I always use the sync feature, which only adds or subtracts based on changes to the list, so it only takes a matter of seconds if you simply add a newly ripped CD.

Larry

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2004, 10:30:38 am »

Not only is MC more suited to "unusual" situations such as managing 2 iPods on the same system, it offers multiple ways of doing such things.  At first I used a series of Smartlists to manage two seperate iPod lists, but after a while it occured to me that the same functionality could more elegantly be realized by using custom fields and view schemes.
Larry

Can you explain what you did in more detail for managing two iPods?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2004, 03:33:03 pm »

Can you explain what you did in more detail for managing two iPods?

Yes -- it will take me a little while to write it down clearly, however, so I won't get to this until tonight.

Stay tuned,

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2004, 06:59:07 am »

Rob,

Sorry -- I still haven't finished getting this written (got back later than I planned.)  I want it to be thorough, but I'm trying to keep it as clear as possible.  I haven't forgotten -- keep watching this thread and I promise I'll get it posted.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2004, 05:55:33 am »

I've completed the basic draft or my "iPod Management in Media Center" document, which details how I setup and manage my iPods with MC.  Unfortunately, it's too long to be posted here -- even cut in half.  Rather than cutting it into thirds, I'm wondering how should I procede?  I think this might be quite useful to others who use iPods (one or multiple) with MC.

I've used numerous methods of managing my iPod over the last year and a half, and after a great deal of trial and error finally figured out a setup/workflow that makes managing one or more iPods with MC simple, fast, and robust.  It's simple to use, but it's somewhat complex to set up, which is why I wrote out a detailed document.

Is there a way I could post a longer document somewhere?

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2004, 06:41:56 am »

Thanks, Larry.  Just e-mail it to me and I'll find a place.  Much appreciated.

Jim

jimh @ jriver.com

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2004, 08:39:19 am »

I've completed the basic draft or my "iPod Management in Media Center" document, which details how I setup and manage my iPods with MC.   I think this might be quite useful to others who use iPods (one or multiple) with MC.

Can't wait to see it!

I've been using my ipod with mc for a few months but I get myself into trouble every so often and am not always sure that I am doing things the best way possible.

What other commercial app. has users writing detailed guides and giving it to the developers, and has the developers actually willing to use/share/post it?

You'd think that this was an open source app.  ;D  (I'm glad it's not)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2004, 07:10:22 pm »

The document is available here:

http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/Larry_Little_iPod_Management_MC.html

There is also a link to it on the sticky FAQ thread in the "Media Center" forum.

Larry

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 03:52:23 am »

An error in the third paragraph of Step 4 has been corrected.  The point is to "Exclude" the tracks that are tagged as "Exclude."  The document is now correct, so this is no longer a concern.

Larry

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 07:00:13 am »

You're supposed to do the opposite and put a check next to "Exclude," NOT "Empty."  The point is to "Exclude" the tracks that are tagged as "Exclude."
Larry,
I just changed that.  Please double check that it's correct now.  Thanks again for your work.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 02:03:35 pm »

Thanks Jim -- I'll change my last post so as not to confuse people.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up