INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC incorrectly reports not enough space on handheld  (Read 2842 times)

V-Man

MC incorrectly reports not enough space on handheld
« on: July 12, 2004, 08:08:19 am »

I'm now starting to understand synchronising MC with my Muvo2. I think there's a bug with how it reports how much over-capacity my queued sync list is compared with the free space on the handheld.

If I make a playlist totalling 2 GB of files and try to sync to my 4 GB, it will work fine.

If I then add, say, another 100 MB of tracks to the playlist and re-sync, it warns that the list is 100 MB over-capacity. I can click OK and it still works though, and only transfers the 100 MB of newly-added songs detecting the rest as duplicate.

So basically when calculating if there's enough space, it forgets to ignore the duplicates. MC shouldn't give a warning in this case.

Sorry if that's not very clearly explained.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:MC incorrectly reports not enough space on handheld
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 09:53:19 am »

V-Man,

I think your issue is in regards to duplicate files. If you attempt to sync multiple files with duplicate information (duplicate defined as the same Name, Artist, Album, Genre and Track number info) you will have inconsistent results in what arrives on your portable because MC must guess which file you intend to send. Try resolving the duplicate issue by creating playlists which only have unique (relative to the above duplicate definition) information and see if the calculations on size are accurate.

Steve

V-Man

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 10:41:58 am »

SteveG

I'm not sure I follow. What I mean is that MC is correctly 'guessing' which files I want it to send, because when I confirm the transfer, the only files being sent are the ones I've added to the playlist since the last transfer (ie the 100 MB of files from my earlier example).

So, MC does 'know' that it needs to send only 100 MB of files to the handheld and not 2100 MB, furthermore it knows that 2 GB of its 4 GB capacity is still free. Therefore, why does it report that the capacity is 100 MB short for the selected files, rather than proceeding with transfer and then reporting 1.9 GB free space remaining?

(For simplicity 1 GB = 1000 MB)

BTW, I am using one playlist to contain all of the files that I want to exist on my handheld. I have also added a view scheme under my main library that only shows items from this playlist. That way I get a nice interface to create and update my 4 GB selection of files that I want on my handheld, by selecting albums in the pane view and checking/unchecking the playlist from the Action Window. It works great - except for the spurious over-capacity warning I get each time.

SteveG

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 01:17:20 pm »

V-Man,

Do you have WMDM support enabled?

What happens after you sync the 2GB if you drag and drop your 100 files onto the Muvo?

Steve

V-Man

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 06:27:40 am »

I disabled WMDM as you advised earlier.

If I drag just new files to the drive letter it works fine.

On a related note, can you suggest a reason why synching with MC is a lot slower than simply copying in Explorer? I don't have it set up to convert file formats, so I thought it would be almost as quick. MC reports a transfer rate of around 1.6 MB/sec; in Explorer I transfered a folder with 123 MB of music in 36 secs which equates to approx 3.4 MB/sec - over twice as fast.

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 01:18:31 pm »

V-Man,

What happens if you resync the same 2 GB playlist without adding new files? Do files get resent or are all files skipped?

In regards to speed, the time estimate is an estimate and most likely changes during the upload process. Try timing the upload with MC vs Explorer. The times should be similar.

Steve

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 01:44:04 pm »

V-Man, just wanted to say thanks for posting about your Library view scheme.  I too create a playlist containing the subset of files I want to keep on my handheld (a Zen Xtra) but I didn't know I could see the playlist in a pane view in the library.  Much easier to figure out what's on the sucker now.  BTW, I don't have the problem you're having with the MuVo when I add files and sync to the Zen (not that that helps you :( )

Nolo
Pages: [1]   Go Up