INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comments on my tagging strategy?  (Read 834 times)

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Comments on my tagging strategy?
« on: July 13, 2004, 08:53:49 pm »

For all you tagging experts I've been debating lately about how I want to tag and file my CD collection.  I've got around 250 CDs of which about 75% are soundtracks or various artists.

For soundtracks and such I plan to name the directory and [album artist] tag the same as the genre:  Original Motion Picture Soundtrack; Television Soundtrack; Disney Animated Feature Soundtrack; etc.  For some albums, the artist for all tracks will be the same as the [album artist] tag and directory name.  But for other albums each track will have a unique artist name.

I'm going to follow a suggestion I saw on here and prefix the names of all my "main artists" with a . so that they don't all get mixed in from artists found on soundtracks, compilations and such.

I imagine there are others doing this same thing but I have a few questions...

- When naming the files themselves should I use:
     [album artist] [album] [track #] [name]   OR
     [artist] [album] [track #] [name]

-  How will this work on the iPod (I haven't received mine yet)?  If there's no way to browse by [album artist] on the iPod (is there?) and I have to browse by artist then how can I find and play a "various artists soundtrack" without creating a playlist?

- Are there other suggestions people have that might work better than what I'm thinking?

Thanks in advance,
Trent

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Comments on my tagging strategy?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 10:04:39 pm »

For OST's & compilations...

<Album> - <Track #> - <Artist> - <Title>

I don't do artist/album subdirs (lump then together in format dirs...ie s:\ogg), but even if I did I would still retain full filenames as shown above along with <Artist> - <Album> - <Track #> - <Title> for single artist/group CD's. OST's tend to become scrambled in Media Library, but if you set your panes to artist & album, they become easy to sort and narrow down.

10-27

trentino

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re:Comments on my tagging strategy?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 08:23:04 am »

Of course!  I had never considered that this naming convention would be necessary to sort "various artists" albums properly:

<Album> - <Track #> - <Artist> - <Title>

Thanks for the tip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up