INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: just a question about htpc  (Read 3178 times)

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
just a question about htpc
« on: July 16, 2004, 02:03:07 pm »

Been reading alot about HTPC here, just what are the advantages (aside from being able to use MC 24/7. that is   ;D) over a traditional home theatre setup?  Right now we have a large screen tv, 200 disc cd changer (which I rarely use, as I just hook up the Zen to the fm transmitter), and a DVD player.  The house is wired for sound as well. From the sounds of things, and correct me if I am in error, the sound would be better using HTPC as opposed to the FM transmitter but what else?  If I am reading this right, then temp control within the center  is also an issue (we have a built in entertainment center).  Are these systems part of a home network (I haven't figured out Media Server just yet)?  Sorry if these are dumb questions, but most times the answeres provided here are much better and easier to understand than if I google it.    Bet

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:just a question about htpc
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 01:06:42 pm »

I am not quite sure what you actually wanted to know but here is how I did my "HTPC".

The last time I upgraded my "mainframe" Media Center PC I built the new rig with rather standard parts. The only special thing was that I selected noiseless components and bought the best-looking (interior matching) midi tower. Of course I also bought a high quality sound card and a graphics card with a high quality TV-out.

It is situated in my living room on a writing table next to my sofas and other HT equipment. I bought also a 17" LCD screen and a cordless mouse/keyboard set. I can place the LCD screen on a small coffee table and use the PC from the sofa if I like. Because the PC case is conventionally sized I have no temperature problems.

The PC is connected to my HT Receiver both ways, output and input. Audio digitally by optical cables and video by S-Video cables. The HT receiver is further connected to my wide screen TV and S-VHS video recorder. For watching DVDs I still use a stand-alone DVD player, which is connected directly to TV and HT receiver. For about everything else I use the PC as a source and a recording device.

The sound quality is comparable to my other hifi equipment and also the video quality is very good. Though the stand-alone DVD player is even better, because it is connected directly by an RGB cable.

The same PC is also used as a media server for my home LAN. E.g. I can use my laptop PC in bedroom for listening the same media library through a small bedroom stereo.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bebop

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 02:32:19 pm »

Thanks Alex.  So, to get this right, you are using an HTPC set up mainly because of space constraints? I was wondering if that was the main reason to have an HTPC rather than two separate systems - or if there was an advantage in regards to quality of sound/video in the HTPC  setup vs standard home entertainment centers.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2004, 05:53:12 pm »

Lack of space was not the reason. I have had a multimedia PC connected to high fidelity stereo equipment for years before I bought a home theater system. Actually the whole HT system was a natural extension to my multimedia PC.

When you are talking about pure DVD playback there is no difference in quality. That depends more on your budget and skills. Though it is much easier to achieve top-quality with a stand-alone DVD player.

There are new file formats, which are better than DVD. Such as Windows Media High Definition Video. With them HTPC can win the race.

P.S. This thread wasn't a great success for some reason...    ::)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bebop

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 11:32:36 am »

Alex , thanks for the info.  Our entertainment system, as it is now, is needing upgrading, and you have provided some valuable  insight for me.  I googled it, and only got instructions on how to set one up, but they all gave the impression that having an HTPC was for saving space.  Good to hear from someone who actually uses one and why they choose going HTPC.  I don't know if I'm ready to build my own just yet   ;D  as am a novice in this area - can change a hard drive, add components, but have never done it from scratch, so to speak. Have you gone the HDTV route? And how does one incorporate that necessary evil - the cable box?

paulr

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 01:45:27 pm »

I am currently setting up a HTPC.  My reason is not for saving space though.  The setup is definitely more difficult than setting up a conventional system, but once it's done, it is much more convenient to use.

I have my TV, video and recording functions through SageTV, Music and pictures through MC (my entire music collection) and it is all with quality equal to seperate components.  I can also play games with this setup - add in my PS2 and  I can play just about anything.  It's all networked to my DSL router so that I can move stuff in and out of it, archive to optical disc or backup to a hard drive (RAID array eventually).

I have never been enthusiastic about the large CD changers that are available.  Switching discs is slow and I have heard too many stories of damaged discs - not to mention that their capacity is limited and would still require adding and removing discs from time to time.

I can also use my HTPC to digitally archive my LPs and video and audio tapes.  And to record music from Sirius Satellite Radio if I want to.

I can also access the internet from my living room via the network.

You are correct in saying that using a FM modulator will reduce the sound quality - it's a substantial reduction in fact.  FM radio sounds good in the car, but in actuality it is really rather poor.

I just find the HTPC offers a ton more options and convenience than a traditional setup.  I do still have a traditional CD/DVD player which I use for movies... I just find it easier.

Hope this helps...  

bebop

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 02:17:23 pm »

Paulr, thanks for the info.  I agree about the large CD changers - we have a 200 disc one and it is noisy when it changes, not to mention the lag and complicated system for creating playlists! I have been reading all the posts here from all of you who have either set your HTPC up already or are in the process of doing so with great interest in order to  gather as much info from users as I can  regarding how to set one up, what people think of various components  and why they like their HTPC setups better than the separate component types.   Thanks again for the input.   Bet
Pages: [1]   Go Up