INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what speeds of file transfer do people see?  (Read 4669 times)

RobOK

• Citizen of the Universe
  • long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
what speeds of file transfer do people see?
« on: July 18, 2004, 03:36:37 pm »

I'm re-synching my whole iPod and am seeing 5.4 MB/s.

Is that typical of an iPod transfer?   (For a little bit my screensave went on -- not sure if that would slow it down.)

I thought it could go faster than that.

Please post some of the rates you see for comparison,

THanks

RemyJ

Re:what speeds of file transfer to people see?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 05:50:43 pm »

9.5 MB/s sustained.  20G iPod, Firewire connected.
Are you doing on-the-fly conversions?
Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 12:54:59 am »

With the latest version, I see around 6.2 MB/s.  This is with no conversion -- just a straight sync to the iPod.  I notice this number go up if the only files being added are large files (big Audible files) but for average mp3s it stays in the low 6's, and I sometimes see mid to high 5's.

A few versions ago MC was suddenely reporting the transfer rate up in the 8's, but a new verison dropped it again.

Larry

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 01:19:50 pm »

Larry, I use a 10 gig Ipod and have the exact same results. About 6.2 right now, but it used to be 8.2-8.5 a few months ago using MC on the same exact PC.

Kinda weird in a sense. I think it might have to do with what processes are running too. Stopping music playback helps to boost the performance a tiny bit as well.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 01:39:28 pm »

I get around 5.2, give or take a bit over usb 2.0.

Are others using USB 1, 2 or firewire?

SteveG

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 05:19:13 pm »

Everyone,

In regards to the speed of transfer, MC should perform about as well as if you were to trasfer the files manually using Windows Explorer.  For anyone concerned about speeds (which will fluctuate depeneding on other processes running) try copying a set of files directly to the iPod in Explorer and time them. When they are finished, delete them (they won't be playable ). Then copy the same files using MC (preferably via a sync) and let me know if you see results that are not similar.

Thanks,

Steve

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 07:56:36 pm »

I actually didnt think MC was the problem, but rather something with my PC.  Sounds like my speeds are at least in the right ballpark.

I am USB 2.0, not firewire.

Cheers,
Rob.

V-Man

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2004, 02:00:49 pm »

SteveG

Thanks for your responses in the MUVO 4GB thread.

I tried transferring files via USB 2.0 in Windows Explorer and calculated the speed as approx 3.4 MB/sec. I can't remember the total size now but it was about 100 to 200 MB.

In MC 10.0.149 however, transferring roughly the same quantity and size of files, I measured the speed as a disappointing 1.5 MB/sec (this is in fact slightly slower than the speed that MC estimates in the Action Window which fluctuates between 1.6 and 1.7).

I'm sure I should be seeing speeds of well above the 3.4 MB/sec in Explorer, but from what you say I should at least see 3.4 with MC. Perhaps MC isn't the problem, but can anyone explain my sluggish USB 2.0 performance? It was only when I got my MUVO that I figured out I clearly only had USB 1.1, so I bought a USB 2.0 PCI Card - it's definitely increased the speed 2-3 times over USB 1.1 but even that increase is not what I was expecting.  :(

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2004, 02:30:14 pm »

V-Man,

Were you synching the files? If not, could you try a similar test as part of a sync and tell me if the speed improves?

Thanks,

Steve

RemyJ

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2004, 04:39:28 pm »

Don't forget the windows file system cache.   A copy from windows explorer will appear to finish way before the files are actually commited to the device.  This can make it appear faster when it isn't especially with small transfers.   On a system with 256mb of main memory, Windows could easily use half of it for the file system cache.  

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

V-Man

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 02:53:48 am »

V-Man,

Were you synching the files? If not, could you try a similar test as part of a sync and tell me if the speed improves?

Thanks,

Steve
If by synching the files you mean did I choose the Synchronise option from the drive's right-click menu in MC, then yes that is what I did.

technodestructo

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 05:26:26 pm »

My iPaq transfer speeds are a lame-o 0.2 MB/s, over USB!

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2004, 02:19:45 pm »

V-Man,

Yes, I did mean the right click 'Synchronize' option.  Could you do the comparison test on 100 mb of files (or similar) and tell me in seconds how the two compare on your system?

technodestructo,

Is that speed the same or different using Windows Explorer? (presuming your model of iPaq appears to your system as a fixed or removable drive).

Steve

V-Man

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 02:24:32 pm »

V-Man,

Yes, I did mean the right click 'Synchronize' option.  Could you do the comparison test on 100 mb of files (or similar) and tell me in seconds how the two compare on your system?

One album (17 tracks) of MP3s, total 95.3 MB

Synchronize in MC took 80 secs (the last 10s it stayed frozen on 99% complete).

Copying the same files with Explorer (from the same location on my HDD, to a different folder on the handheld to that where MC copied them), from the time the animated Copy dialog appeared to when it vanished, took a mere 24 seconds.

Speed with MC: 1.2 MB/s
Speed with Explorer: 4.0 MB/s

I don't know if there could have been some caching going on in between, but the difference is quite significant as you can see. From the point of view of managing my transfers with a playlist, view scheme etc, MC is still my choice - but it sure would be nice to get speeds closer to 4 MB/s.

SteveG

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2004, 10:32:48 am »

Can anyone else verify V-Man's results?

When I do the same test with 100MB of files MC takes 16 seconds to Explorer's 15.

Steve

V-Man

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 03:17:50 am »

Steve

I think the following thread from the nomadness forums might be worth your looking at:

http://www.nomadness.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3031

It relates to similar time differences between Explorer and the sync option of Windows Media Player.

There is some mention of a fix from Microsoft, though I can't find it and don't know if it's a generic fix or purely for WMP.

SteveG

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 10:03:23 am »

V-Man,

Thanks for the link. WMP is based on Windows WMDM which is a loose standard for how to recognize and transfer files to WMDM compatible devices. We provide a solution based on this standard. It can be enabled by selecting 'Tools-->Devices->Enable WMDM support'.

When using this solution, file transfers are controlled by WMDM so speeds are dependent on how WMDM implements file transfer. When not using WMDM, the file transfer speeds should be similar because we are using a basic Windows file transfer command. If you had  WMDM enabled for your testing, deselect it and see if your speeds improve.

Steve

V-Man

Re:what speeds of file transfer do people see?
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 10:49:41 am »

I do not have WMDM selected, I deselected it a couple of weeks ago when you suggested it before.

Media Center Registered 10.0.149 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1678 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 178 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0002) , ASPI for Win32         DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0002)

Ripping /   Drive P: LG      DVD-ROM DRD8160B  Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive Q:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive Q: TEAC     CD-W524E           Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
Re:what speeds of file transfer do people see?
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 09:27:50 am »

I get around 7 but a few months ago I was consistently getting 12.  :o  A full load of a 30GB ipod took around half an hour, which was incredible.

I think the speed dropped around the time I applied a BIOS update to my PC.  I'm not worried about it particularly, as since Steve fixed the ratings problem I no longer have to fully load either of my two iPods... everything's working nicely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up