INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New User Upgrade to MC11  (Read 2307 times)

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
New User Upgrade to MC11
« on: July 19, 2004, 03:44:12 pm »

Sorry but I have to ask.  I just found MC yesterday and I love it!!
It does many of the things I have been searching for for a long time, good stuff.

As I have not bought it yet, I have to ask about if I will have to pay for a v11 license upgrade if it comes out in the next couple of months?  I would hate to have to pay twice for the software.
I have seen many companies that will allow people to upgrade free if they purchased it within X months of the new version release if they charge at all.

Please let me know.

Thanks

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
Re:New User Upgrade to MC11
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2004, 03:53:03 pm »

Please read this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=22489

Hopefully it'll answer your questions reguard current MC11 pricing.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2004, 04:03:18 pm »

Thanks I was just reading that as you replied.  Originally I searched for "MC11" not "MC 11" and it did not come up.

I guess it is still a bit unclear.  I say the $9.95 upgrade for 9.0 users so I figured there would be another.  Has this become solidified yet?

Thanks again!

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 04:19:44 pm »

I don't really know is a upgrade prices has been established.  MC 11 is still in beta (alpha) so I don't think we know of all the features it'll have.  I can tell you I've been using MC 11 with my MC 10 licence and have not have a problem yet.

I think there will be a week period, as there was with MC 10, that allows users of the previous version to upgrade to the latest one without having to purchase the new version outright.

I would advise doing that if you want.  Purchase and MC 10 licence and, when it is available upgrade to MC 11.  

You'll love MC 11.  The new database dramatically lowers the memory usage compared to other versions.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 05:00:58 pm »

Well I purchased it.... I HOPE I will get the upgrade for free.

Thanks for your help.

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 05:24:24 pm »

[begin rant]

Not to rant, but why does everyone expect to get quaility commericial software for free?  MC 11 is internally a completely different product than MC 10.  The guys at JRiver work on it day and night, and yet after months of hard effort (and many more to come), you expect them to hand it to you for free?  Why?  Do you actually expect that they would would be able to stay in business with that type of business model?

And FYI, other companies do not offer free upgrades for previous purchases made months prior.  Weeks or days, yes, sometimes they do, but it is not altogether that common.

[/end rant]

Now to offer something a little more productive, let me say that in all likelihood based on past experience, we MC 10 users will be able to upgrade to MC 11 at a very minimal cost.  Again, I don't see how anyone can view this as unreasonable considering the effort involved in producing commerical software.

JeffB

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 05:50:53 pm »

Development on MC 11 just started a few months ago so it probably won't be available for a while.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 06:11:48 pm »

Thanks for your help.

I doubt It
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 06:18:48 pm »

I'm hip Omni. Consider this...

How many purchased licenses does it take to offset buying a portable for plugin development? Factoring in overhead and so forth, I would say quite a few. They may get them for free...but I think not.

10-27

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 06:52:41 pm »

1)  Well it does not support my Rio Karma (Though I hear it is on the way).
2)  I always contribute to software I like even if it is free (Donate).
3)  I like the program, given I am already using 11 it would be nice to not have to pay for it again when it gets through beta.  I would pay for 12 :-)
4)  There are many programs I own that have free upgrades.  Trillian for instance dd a major version upgrade for free because I had purchased it within a period of time.  Same with UltraEdit, Riorad Explorer and Aston Shell to name a few (That I use).
5)  I had no idea it was not going to be out in the next month or so.

I'm not looking for something for free, quite the contrary actually.

Please don't slam me for asking a reasonable question....

Omni

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 12:46:38 am »

Please don't slam me for asking a reasonable question....

Yeah, I'm sorry.  Your comment sparked my rant, but it wasn't the true source.  It's just that we have had heated debates here before about upgrade prices (in which I quietly remained silent at the time).

For instance, when Jim announced that it would cost ten dollars (it might have been even less--I don't recall) to upgrade from 9.1 to 10, numerous people raised Cain about it.  My eight year old niece could afford that, yet these people who presumably had jobs and could afford $400 iPods couldn't. ::)

To me, it just seems disrespectful.  The developers work so hard and diligently on this awesome application, and not to want to pay them for their efforts just seems a little insulting.

Again, I apologize for ranting.  I know I wrote it directly to you, but it wasn't really personal.  :)

modelmaker

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 01:11:14 am »

Nobody's slamming you personally, it's just sign of frustration as it's one of the most commonly asked questions and most of us love MC so much we gladly pay the upgrade fees which are minimal, (usually around 10 bucks from the previous version). And if 10 or 20 bucks is too much to part with, then, with all due respect, MC isn't for you.

If you upgrade to a beta version(free), as far as I can remember, you don't have to pay anything to keep what you have when that version is "officially" released. And then there's all the free updates as MC is continuously being tweeked. And the support here is second to none.

As has been said MC is a commercial product not freeware. MC is like a piece of high end audio/video equipment - you can't walk in the store with last year's receiver and expect to get the latest one for free, it ain't gonna happen.

And lastly, nobody's forcing anybody to upgrade everytime a new version is released, I and many others are still happily using 9.0, 9.1 and even MJ 8. I, personally will finally upgrade when version 11 is released as it will be substancially different from anything before it.

Buy it. Relax. Enjoy the music.

PS: JRiver: BTW is MC 11 fianally going to be released with that long-promised beer dispensing button?
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

Zoner

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 01:41:42 am »

Everyone has different priorities, but for me personally, I'd rather J River charged *more* for their upgrades, and hired more development staff, so they could add more features faster.  The $10 I've paid so far is just *nothing* compared to the extra functionality I've received - it's worth so much more than that.  MC is not just the best off-the-shelf media player, it's almost custom software!  If you post here often enough with a resonable request, you *will* be able to get what you want added to MC.  IMHO, that's worth a lot more than $10.

modelmaker

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2004, 02:30:57 am »

Amen.
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

ahbrown41

• World Citizen
  • Music is good
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2004, 06:16:24 am »

Well I love the program :-)  I can see myself as being quite the supporter as well.
Once in awhile you run accross a diamond in the rough, MC is certainly one.

Recently I got another program, not such a diamond  ;)

Anyway, thanks guys.  I think we are all in agreement.

And Zoner, perhaps you are right, I already have some good ideas for future stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up