INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server Uses - Help!  (Read 1099 times)

Adamski

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Media Server Uses - Help!
« on: November 10, 2002, 05:56:08 am »

Hi all,

Was looking for a bit of advice - I'm in a "band" with my friends and two of us do a lot of the recording and editing of our own music on our computers.  We are always emailing files backwards and forwards to each other.  Using media server we can stream each others files but we cant save them ..... or can we!?!?!

Can media server be used to actually download files from each other?? If not can anyone suggest how we could transfer our files between us that didnt involve attaching and emailing??  we both have fast cable connections.

Cheers in advance for any help

Ad.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server Uses - Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 07:07:38 am »

>> but we cant save them ..... or can we
No

>> Can media server be used to actually
>> download files from each other??
No

>> If not can anyone suggest how we could
>> transfer our files between us
P2P Programs Do A Search On The Internet There are many of them.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

NY40Male

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 07:18:13 am »

Just Get Something Like AOL Instant Messenger....It Allows For File Transfers Between Buddies

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 07:50:51 am »

yep, I use Yahoo Messager (it also supports web cams)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 08:13:07 am »

Have someone in the band set up an ftp server on his computer.  Use it to upload and download files, and also to keep them in one central place.  Here's a quick checklist:

1.  Decide who's gonna run the server.  Pick someone who leaves his computer on all the time.

2.  Set up a dynamic dns service on his computer.  Here's a pretty good list of dynamic dns providers.  Setting up dynamic dns will allow you all to use a name (like ourband.dnydns.org or ourband.d2g.com) instead of an IP address that might change.

3.  Get yourself some FTP server software.  If you're running Windows XP, it's built in (it's called IIS or Internet Information Services), but it's kind of tricky to use.  Check out download.com for some freeware or shareware servers.  I use Serv-U.

4.  Set up hard drive space (maybe you could all pitch in for some extra storage for him) on the server computer, install the FTP server software and create usernames and passwords for everyone.

5.  Get FTP clients for everyone else.  A web browser will work, but I prefer a more full-featured FTP client, such as WS_FTP (which is free) or FlashFXP (which isn't free but totally rules).

With this setup, folks will be able to upload and download files from a central location.  And that's just the beginning!  You could even start a website on his computer, using Windows XP's built-in IIS or a free webserver like Apache.  There are more and more uses for an internet server, you'll wonder how you ever did without one.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync
Pages: [1]   Go Up