INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When will album artist tag be back?  (Read 2485 times)

RobotX

• Recent member
When will album artist tag be back?
« on: July 23, 2004, 12:01:11 pm »

When oh when will the album artist tag be brought back in for the ipod plugin? This is the main reason that I like MC over itunes. I have a ton of complation albums that are perfectly organized in MC but my ipod is a freakin' mess.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:arrrrgggg
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 02:15:20 pm »

Not sure when this will be back. Sorry.

Steve

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
Re:When will album artist tag be back?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:44:23 pm »

RobotX, I too wish this feature would be re-implemented.  Here's my interim fix:

1.  Create custom "artists" field in MC
2.  Mass copy "artist" to "artists" (I do this so I can search for individual artists and also to be able to revert to the contents of the original artist field if I want to later)
3.  Mass copy "album artist [auto]" to "artist"
4.  Sync

Now my Zen (or your Ipod) shows the album artist [auto] in its artist field, in my MC library view one pane is set to "album artist [auto]", but if I want to search for individual artists in compliations I can search in the "artists" field.

Hope this helps.

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2004, 12:19:27 pm »

i have also inquired several times about the return of this feature. steve has responded before that its on the "to-do list," but was unsure of an ETA.

i hope i don't sound too skeptical, but i am just wondering if this is really something that is definitely going to return, or whether there is still a possibility that it will never return?

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 02:12:44 pm »

Everyone,

Today I modified MC 11 so that 'Artist' will now be populated with the information from Album Artist (auto).  Whatever info is in the Album Artist (auto) field is what will be sent to the Portable as the 'Artist' field.  All subsequent synchronization and file matching will be done by a comparison on the Album Aritst (auto) field in MC against the 'Artist' field on the Device (which will have the Album Artist (auto) info after you get the latest version).  There will be file deletions and retransfers with your Device as it synchronizes the old info to the new if you have organized your MC library utilizing the Album Artist (auto) feature extensively, but going forward all should be well.

Steve

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 12:46:37 am »

Today I modified MC 11 so that 'Artist' will now be populated with the information from Album Artist (auto).

Great news, but does that mean you're now maintaining separate v10 and v11 plugins?  I wasn't planning to move to v11 until (unless) they implement something I find useful in it.

(The main thing I'm looking for at the moment, besides iPod smartlists, is cue file support, or at the least the ability to rip multiple CD tracks together.  I've kind of given up hope on seeing either one, though.)

SteveG

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 09:48:26 am »

bvm,

The change to implement 'Album Artist (auto)' is not in the plugin. The change is in MC and therefore will only happen in 11 because it is a sizeable change that would destabilize MC 10 and the expected behavior that is in MC10 (even if it is behavior you do not prefer).

Steve

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2004, 01:53:31 pm »

I noticed in the changelog for 11.0.67 it says

5. Changed: Portable Device support of 'Album Artist Auto' removed. Field matching will be done on 'Artist' instead.

So are we back to where we were before?  Did Album Artist Auto prove unworkable for some reason?

SteveG

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 05:41:56 pm »

bvm,

Yes we are back to where we were before for the time being.  This issue is complicated by the lack of precision in the Album Artist (auto) tag. We can revisit it after some other issues are put to rest.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up