INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't have the right?  (Read 1303 times)

azdood

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
I don't have the right?
« on: July 26, 2004, 08:08:19 pm »

If I get a message after ripping that says, "The following files do not have rights to be burned to CD.  Please remove them from the burn queue...," does that mean there's no way to copy the CD?

When I used the Adaptec EZ CD Burner that came with my Windows ME I would always get a message that said, "Not a recordable CD," but I was able to burn it anyway.  
Thanks.
We are all bozos on this bus...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re:I don't have the right?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 05:37:20 am »

OK. Let's try...

Is the burning part working at all? Can you now burn other files?

Are the problem files on your hard drive? What is the format? Are they e.g. MP3 or WMA?

If they are WMA, where did you get them from? It is possible to use a copy protection mechanism when encoding WMA. Although that should not prevent burning them to a CD if the WMA files are still on the same PC that ripped them from the original audio CD.

That copy protection mechanism is named "Enable Personal Rights Management" in Media Center's encoding options (Advanced tab there). I don't know if it has the same name in Media Jukebox. In Microsoft Windows Media Player that thing is named "Copy protect music". If this is the case then tick that off and rip again.

What kind of CD you are trying to burn: an ordinary audio CD (can be played on any CD player) or a data CD (can include about one hundred or more e.g. MP3 or WMA files)?

Did you install that Adaptec CD burning software again? If you did and you still need it then you probably should upgrade to a current version. It is not anymore an Adaptec product (for some years now). The new name is Roxio Easy Media Creator (www.roxio.com). Even better choice might be Nero (www.nero.com), I think. Both are very extensive and unfortunately relative expensive too. Actually you can buy a new CD burner with a software package for less.

Easy as pie, isn't it?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 05:13:59 pm »

Yes, the burner in my new MP10 works every now and then.  I copied one regular music CD and have created several music CDs using various artists.  I got the same "unburnable" message on one of the songs I wanted to use so I just delected it from the CD.  This is the first time I got the "unburnable, please remove" message for an entire CD.  It's just a regular music CD that I can play on any player.  I ripped it with my MP10 so I imagine it's now on my hard drive.  It was ripped in the WMA format.  After getting your reply I experimented and tried to change the format using the "change format" tool, but got a "conversion failed" message.

I couldn't find "Enable Personal Rights" in the tools or advanced tools menu or in the FAQS menu of my MP10.  I did get a message while looking around that said "Unable to find Music EX Manager Software" so I downloaded that.  I also backed up my licenses to a file in "My Music" rather than leave on the hard drive.  That was suggested.

I also couldn't find "Copy Protect Music" in my Windows Media Player, but did find an option called "Enable Personal Rights Management" and unchecked it.  I also unchecked the option "Attempt to Automatically Acquire Licenses."  The internet and "other" access rights "no access" boxes were checked and I changed them to "full access."

I just tried to burn the CD in question again and got the same message.  Maybe if I rip it again now that I've changed all these settings it will work.  I'll try that later.

I know I could upgrade and get a better burner than Adaptec, but I don't what to spend the money right now.  As it is, I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake in getting the MP10.  I know it's a very cool program, but I'm running into walls with it.   But, then again, I've got faith that I'll figure all this out in time and be able to use the programs I now have.  Especially with support like yours.  I really appreciate it Alex.  Thanks again.        

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 06:56:51 pm »

So you have now Media Center 10. (By the way, the abbreviation for it is MC, not MP).

I think that your problem is indeed connected to that "Enable Personal Rights" system. It is a copy protection system. It is used with WMA music files when you buy them online from the Internet.

When you rip your own files and use them by yourself you have no need for it. It can be off all the time. As far as I know the switch is here: Tools -> Options -> Encoding -> Encoding Type & Quality -> Encoder -> select one of the three available Windows Media (WMA) choices -> press Advanced tab -> Enable Personal Rights tick box should be empty.

Though, I have really not used WMA format, so I am not sure about this. Somebody from JRiver could explain that system better.

MC Help wasn't much help this time: "Windows Media displays the option to enable Personal Rights Management" That's all there is ...

P.S.
Post your next questions to the actual Media Center forum (this is for Media Jukebox). You could get more answers there.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

azdood

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 07:33:49 pm »

Thanks Alex.  I'll post the question on the Media Center forum.  Still new at all this....
Pages: [1]   Go Up