INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converter Settings - Move to Location not working  (Read 2025 times)

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Converter Settings - Move to Location not working
« on: July 11, 2004, 11:34:30 pm »

I found an interesting bug that doesn't seem to want to go away.  I'm running 10.0.146 (registered).  I have been happily ripping my CD's into APE files, then converting to MP3 for download onto my Nomad Jukebox.  This has all been working great :)  I'm not sure the root cause, but on a particular convert, I got a message like this -

Failed to update the following files.

"Eric Clapton - Tell the Truth.mp3"

This can happen when files are missing, in use, read only, or corrupt.

I don't believe any of these conditions really exist.  I've had it happen when nothing else is running.  The symptom is that the target files, in this case, mp3 files, do not get copied into the directory specified under Convert Format/Options/Location.  Instead the files end up in the Program/Data directory.  When I go back to Options/Location the entry is blanked out.  I'm now at the point where this happens everytime.  

I think this started happening when I encountered the above error message.  I guess at this point I'll upgrade to the latest revision.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
Re:Converter Settings - Move to Location not working
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:11:16 am »

The same problem ocurrs after updating to 10.0.049.  I can no longer direct target files to go anwhere other than the program/data directory.  The "Move to Location" setting under convert does not seem to be working anymore.  I suppose the next step would be a complete clean uninstall/install.

Thanks, Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:53:20 pm »

I've noticed something else about this bug.  If I go into "options" under converter and specify a directory for target files to go into, then exit that panel and come back - the entry is blank.  So apprently this field is corrupted permanently.  Again, this was working great for a number of rip/conversions of CD's until I got the error I described in the first message..

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 01:08:58 pm »

OK, I just did a complete uninstall then reinstall.  The problem still happens.  There must be something left over in the registry that's corrupted, but I'm just guessing.  Now I really need some advise, since I don't know what to try next.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 03:18:48 pm »

Here's some more information on the bug and a work-around.....

Apparently, once the Output File Location field gets currupted, then it's corrupted for good, even after uninstall and reinstall.  I'm talking about the Base Path field under Output File Location (ripping and recording) in Options/"File Location". Changing the Base Path to a different directory will solve the problem.

For example, my Base Path directory structure is E:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Music\Albums.  Once the corruption ocurrs, I cannot change the destination directory under Move to Location/Location on the Converter Settings/Converter panel.  I can type in a new location name, but it doesn't take.

However, if I change the Base Path to E:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\My Music\, then all location name functionality is restored.  It makes me wonder if the Base Path field is stored in the registry and not cleaned during uninstall/reinstall.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 11:04:50 am »

I poked around in the registry and can say that MediaCenter does not remove everything in the registry during uninstall, even when specifying to remove registry entries.  However, it does appear that the Base Path entry does get cleaned.  So it's a bit of a mystery why the problem persisted during install/uninstall.  Changing the Base Path did seem to resolve the corruption problem.

I presume by lack of comment by anyone that this problem hasn't been seen.  If this does happen to someone else, then hopefully this thread will be useful.

......End of Monologue ;D

Chris

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2004, 11:06:52 am »

Did you try re ripping the track to see if it was indeed corrupt?
Did you see if it was read only.

That is the extent of my help./...

Sorry.
-

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 03:41:46 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I should have mentioned in my post that I did re-rip with the same results.  I think the corruption in the Base Path happened previously.  Possibly when trying to rip a CD that had scratches on it.  However, the CD's I was recently having problems with were pristine.  But again, I don't think it was a problem with ripping those CD's.

It was not read-only either.

Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2004, 02:53:10 pm »

Argh!! ?  The problem is back.  This time my posted work-around doesn't solve the problem.  This is really annoying.  Has the bug been reproduced?  I would really appreciate some comment from the developers (or support)

Thanks, Chris (Running 10.0.150)

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 07:01:12 pm »

Can an administrator please comment?  The second time this happened, I was was not ripping and I didn't get an error message.  The problem appears related to file conversion.  This time I was converting APE to MP3 Variable (normal).

Thanks, Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 07:14:56 pm »

I don't know.  Has anyone else seen this?

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 04:11:55 am »

Hi Chris,

I use the convert Format/Move location very often and never came across such a problem.

The only time I got such a message was on my office computer when I encountered a file write permission problem because I was running MC with limited user rights. Might it be that ?

At home I am the boss ;D and always run as admin so no problem here !

Let us know of any progress !

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 07:40:17 pm »

I think those paths are stored in the Windows registry. They are in two places: HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_USERS. When a user logs in individual settings are loaded from HKEY_USERS to HKEY_CURRENT_USER. The problem could be connected somehow to this. Anyway, I don't think it is connected to the encoding format.

There was this thread recently: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=22458
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755
Pages: [1]   Go Up