INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Thumbnails view - various artists Albums  (Read 2195 times)

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
Album Thumbnails view - various artists Albums
« on: July 27, 2004, 07:40:46 pm »

Hi all,

Long time MC 9 user here, upgraded to MC 10 this morning to see if it's worth the upgrade. So far the nicest new feature I've come across is the Album Thumbnails view.

I have an existing view Scheme which lists all the Albums in a tree for tracks where Album is not empty. This worked well under 9.1, and works great under MC 10.

However, when I switch to Album Thumbnails view, it almost works correctly - 1 thumbnail for each album. Except for my Various Artists albums. The VA albums have one Thumbnail for each track. Of course, I only want one thumbnail for every album.

Anyone know how to fix this?

FYI, my Various Artist albums are named:
Ray Charles - What'd I Say.mp3

and the tags have:
Name: What'd I Say
Artist: Ray Charles
Album: The #1 Classic Soul Album
Track: 1

ps. Now I'm doubly glad I spent a few days applying Album Art to all my tracks :-)

-Matt
Listening to: 'No Man' by 'Tadpole' on Media Center 10

jleerigby

Re:Album Thumbnails view - various artists Albums
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:03:51 am »

You need a VS with the items: album artist (auto) and album.

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 06:56:11 pm »

Doesn't seem to work. In this situation each of my various artist albums still has a thumbnail for every track :-(

I added a VS for album artist (auto) / artist, and excluded albums with an empty Album field.

All I want is a VS with one thumbnail for every album, including VA albums. Anyone?

-Matt
Listening to: 95bfm.com on Winamp 5

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2004, 04:52:31 am »

Works fine for me. Make sure the Album field are all set exactly the same and the Track# field is filled properly (no duplicates or gaps). Is the calculated field Album Type coming up as "Multiple Artists (complete)"?

TAFKAFEX

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2004, 12:32:45 pm »

Make sure all tracks are in the same folder on your harddisk. If not put them together, delete the entries in MC and reimport them. Should work.

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 07:16:24 pm »

Is the calculated field Album Type coming up as "Multiple Artists (complete)"?

You may be on to something there. Some VA albums I have all the tracks, others I've deleted the tracks if they appear on another album. So they all say either Single artist (complete) or Single artist (incomplete). None say Multiple Artists. Hmm. I wonder how I get it to calculate Multiple Artists?

-Matt
Listening to: 'Prayer (from 'Coppelia')' from 'The Most Relaxing Classical Album In The World...Ever!' by 'Delibes' on Media Center 10

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 02:39:19 am »

Try setting "Album Artist" to "Various Artists" for all these tracks

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 07:51:59 pm »

Great! I finally got it, thanks cjdshaw.

For those interested:
I have a VS named Album Thumbnails, which when clicked on shows the thumbnails for every album, and one thumbnail for the Various Artist albums.

To get this I:
I added a new VS with
1.  View Items Album Artist (auto)
2. Named Album Thumbnails
3. Populate tree: no
4. With files to show: -[Album]=[] ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)]

Then, for my Various Artists albums I manually changed the field "Album Artist" to "Various".

Looks good.
-Matt
Listening to: 'The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill' from 'White Album' by 'Beatles' on Media Center 10

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 02:32:01 am »

If you leave album artist blank the album artist auto field will be detected automatically by MC as multi-artist providing you have a sensible folder naming convention e.g. ...\artist\album.  If you can get this working properly without over-riding album artist as 'various artist' it will make life easier in the future because it won't be a manual task. Here's how:

Use rename files from properties in the right click library tools menu to rename the files and the directory and check the box for 'use assorted for multi-artist albums'.  Try it on a small sample first.  Because of what you have already done MC might be confused so you might want to uncheck that box, select all your multi-artist albums and rename them to a folder called ...\assorted\album (the default used by MC).  Then delete the 'various artist' text in the album artist field.  Now see if MC automatically detects it as a multi artist album in the album artist auto field.

If you get this working and all your files named in accordance with that convention you will only have to set the album artist field to over-ride what looks to MC to be a multi-artist album back to a single artist album (e.g. because just one track has a guest singer).

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 05:35:18 am »

which is fine if you really want them to all live in a folder called 'assorted'   :-\

mattsnuts

• Junior Woodchuck
  • that'll do
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2004, 08:11:55 pm »

I added a new VS with
1.  View Items Album Artist (auto)
2. Named Album Thumbnails
3. Populate tree: no
4. With files to show: -[Album]=[] ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)]

Anyone know how I can get the above to sort the Albums firstly by Artist, then by Year?

I've tried
~sort=[Album Artist (auto)],[Year]

to no avail. The albums are still sorted by artist, but not by year.

-Matt
Listening to: 'Fresh Tendrils' by 'Soundgarden' on Media Center 10
Pages: [1]   Go Up