INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Enhanced CD's  (Read 3313 times)

kaiynne

• World Citizen
  • I Changed this by choosing profile
Enhanced CD's
« on: July 29, 2004, 02:24:10 am »

Did about 5 searchs for this topic but couldn't find anything so maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I just bought about 15 cd's tonight and two happened to be enhanced cd's.  Media Center doesn't sem to want to rip them, I tried with EAC and it worked fine.  Is this a known issue?  Is there a setting somewhere I need to look at.  I am using MC 10.150.

Thanks,
Kain

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Re:Enhanced CD's
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 10:09:48 am »

What is an Enhanced CD ?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

bebop

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 01:04:33 pm »

Doc, an enhanced cd has video as well as just music (it's the extra's they sometimes throw in) sometimes it sends you to the artist's or lables website.  I haven't found any problems with ripping, MC has just ignored the extra stuff.  Sometimes when I used other ripping programs (before I became enlightened, that is) I would have problems as the disk automatically went to this extra stuff!  Usually a couple of tries did the trick.  
For example:  Collin Raye:  Direct Hits Cd: Hear sound clips and see the booklet for every Collin Raye album, read Collin's biography, watch loads of video clips including studio footage, video bloopers and more and connect to the website.

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 01:26:50 pm »

Thanks  Bebop;

Now that I know, I recall that they have been around for many years.

In the early 80's Egghead Software was giving away a WordPerfect CD.  Tracks 2 -10 had very beautiful music & track 1 was a WordPerfect demo.  All my programs simply ignored track 1 & the CD played & ripped perfectly.  Yes, I have it ripped to MC, no problems at all.

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

bebop

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 01:51:53 pm »

Kaiyanne, what settings are you using to rip?

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 02:40:07 pm »

I rip in secure mode to WAV files.  I have tried to look up the cd in YADB as well as ejecting it and reinserting but no luck so far.

bebop

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 02:48:05 pm »

Here are my settings:

Ripping /   Drive F:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Drive G:   Mode:Normal  Type:Auto  Speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: ATAPI    DVD DUAL 8X4X12    Addr: 3:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: SONY     CD-RW  CRX230E     Addr: 3:1:0  Speed:52  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Have you tried any of the other setting?  What CD are you having problems with...if I have it, I will do a test rip here and see what happens.  

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 03:02:51 pm »

I have tried playing with the settings but it seems like media center just can't see the music for some reason.

the two cd's are poison arrows by communique and books by belle and sebastian.

thanks for your help by the way, I would really like to avoid having to use eac for these type of cds

bebop

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 03:37:04 pm »

kaiyanne, sorry, don't have those two in my collection...but I did a re-rip of five of mine that are enhanced, and they all ripped with no problem.  I'll have to bump this to someone else with more tech experience than me.  hope you get this sorted out.  Bet

Listening to: 'LITTLE ROCK' from 'THE BEST OF COLLIN RAYE: DIRECT HITS' by 'Collin Raye' on Media Center 10

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 03:47:26 pm »

thanks for checking it out bebop, I guess it could be the cds.  I will keep looking for info and will update if i find a solution.

bebop

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 03:56:30 pm »

Could this be a DRM related problem?  Check out the topic My Right To Burn...it discusses a similar problem ( I would have posted the thread, but lost my sticky note that  had the instructions on how to do it-- :-\  , I know it's here somewhere, probably with my keys, sunglasses and list of where I keep the list of important stuff I keep forgetting)   ;D

Listening to: 'Hotel California' from 'Hell Freezes Over - Eagles' by 'Eagles' on Media Center 10

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 03:57:46 pm »

I will check it out thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 03:58:10 pm »

I just browsed through some CDs on my self. I found one Enhanced CD: Garbage - Beautiful Garbage. It rips and plays normally with MC 10, but Windows Explorer sees only autoran.inf and setup.exe files on the CD. I have autoran disabled.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 04:04:41 pm »

Could this be a DRM related problem?  Check out the topic My Right To Burn...

No, that topic was related to Microsoft DRM with WMA files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 04:27:28 pm »

I still haven't found a solution for this.  Also the files i ripped in EAC only contain silence it turns out, so that is kind of weird as well.

LonWar

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 04:46:01 pm »

Does the CD have the Compact Disc Digital Audio Logo on it?

It may be a copy protected disc....

What cd is it?
-

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 05:07:21 pm »

neither cd has the logo on it.  The cds are belle and sebastian books and communique poison arrows.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 05:13:34 pm »

What files do you see on the CDs when you go to Windows Explorer?

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 05:39:20 pm »

a folder called docs and an html document called start here thats it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 06:31:06 pm »

So you thought you bought music, but instead you got HTML pages.   ;D

You could google for something like "ripping enhanced CD". You may get better answers that way.

You could also use a stand-alone CD player and record them with PC.

Robert Taylor

• Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2004, 10:59:03 pm »

If it's what you're calling an "enhanced CD" I think that means that it's a mixed-mode CD, or it may be multi-session, with one session containing the muzak, and the other containing the CDROM component.

I thought that with certain software installed (Nero)?, you had a Windows Exploder right-click menu option to select the session you wished to look at.

If it is a copy protected disk, using the new mechanism for copy protection (as opposed to one of the old ones which you could disable by drawing around the edge of the CD with a black oil marker), you could use a product like AnyDVD, which is a driver-layer for Windows which reads the CD/DVD and de-protects/un-CSSs the data before it gets to whatever software you are using to read it.

Do a Google for AnyDVD...
Cheers
Rob

LonWar

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2004, 11:47:55 am »

neither cd has the logo on it.  The cds are belle and sebastian books and communique poison arrows.
If it doesn't have the standards logo on it, I believe that means its copy protected.

In Canada any disc that is protected can NOT have the logo on it. I think the same goes for the states.
-

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2004, 01:55:09 pm »

I don't think they put Compact Disc logos on them any more - doesn't look like they do in the UK anyway. I've just done a quick check of all the CDs I've got to hand, and none of them have a Compact Disc logo on them anywhere.

Not all enhanced CDs work the same though; and somehow the drive you play them in makes a difference.

For instance, 12 Memories by Travis: I couldn't rip that with Media Center. It could only see the data files. In fact, if I put it in the other drive on the same PC, it couldn't see anything at all!

And the CD wasn't copy protected, either. It was entirely down to which session the music was in, and for some reason MC couldn't see the music session. Other programmes could.

Most Enhanced CDs I've got, though, rip fine in MC. There are only a small number that don't....

kaiynne

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 01:39:04 pm »

Thanks for the extra info guys, I am still working on it though.  I have nero 6 installed so I will give that a try.
Pages: [1]   Go Up