INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappearing Drives Problem  (Read 683 times)

collapsure

• nothing more to say...
Disappearing Drives Problem
« on: November 09, 2002, 12:20:01 pm »

application: Media Jukebox 8.0.388

environment: windows XP home; athlon XP 2000+, sound blaster audigy; generic cdrom

situation: ripping from a (fairly) scratched CD, MJ stopped responding (MJ went blank). cd-rom drive would not respond to pressing the eject button (i believe because MJ was 'using' it).

Using the windows task manager, i stopped the running of MJ (closed it down), ejected the disc and put in a different one and launched up MJ again (i noticed this time it was quite sluggish to start up).

i clicked on the cds section (on the left hand side of the screen, you know the one) as i normally do, but no drives nor any tracks were displayed as would be expected.

i then opened an MP3 file of mine. no sound.

these didn't seem to be big problems, since i belived a system restart and (possible) MJ reinstall would do the trick.

HOWEVER (beethoven_5th.Mp3)
checking out my BIOS settings as it is always displayed upon system start, i noticed that
1. My cd rom drive was not detected
2. My dvd rom was not detected
3. (strangely, all my hard drives had changed names, to generic rather than brand)

upon entering windows, sound blaster was deemed to be 'working' (drivers et al), and the win system info agreed with the BIOS - no DVD, CD, etc. nor detectable.

Everything was fine until MJ came across the scratched CD.

----------------

I'm still waiting on a call from tech support about my bios (no, i didn't make any changes and save) and my sound card;

but in the meantime i hope someone who has had a similar problem can point me in the right direction towards a working computer once more.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: 8.0.388 - pretty serious problem (system bios)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2002, 12:27:13 pm »

That one is a hardware/os issue.

Try re-installing any software you got with the devices.

collapsure

• nothing more to say...
Re: Disappearing Drives Problem
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2002, 12:37:42 pm »

thanks for reponding so quickly

(*collapsure notes the change in topic desc)  :-[
Pages: [1]   Go Up